• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exotic Leather Goods

TheSunisShining

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any Exotic leather wallets, bags, watch straps, etc? I have one a Lizard wallet and now I see what all the fuss is about. The design and the feel of the wallet is absolutely fantastic. Check it out guys and tell me what you think!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The same species of lizard (varanus salvator), but cut out of another part i.e. belly

How do you like it?

I don't think so...Varanys salvator is a water monitor and can be fairly large.

The wallet is made of Java (sometime called "ring") lizard--Takydromus khasiensis.

The watch band is, I suspect, Teju. One of a number of species of Tupinambis.

Last edited:

damiance

Reaction score
Ring lizard is the common name of Varanus Salvator and another large lizard (also with rings) - Varanus Niloticus. Produced by tanneries as bleached or natural (with ring pattern)
Those two species are in general larger than Teju - this is true. But it is possible to make a shoe with Teju (not wholecut):

Best Regards
Damian

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ring lizard is the common name of Varanus Salvator and another large lizard (also with rings) - Varanus Niloticus. Produced by tanneries as bleached or natural (with ring pattern)
Those two species are in general larger than Teju - this is true. But it is possible to make a shoe with Teju (not wholecut):
Best Regards
Damian

I don't know where you get that information but it is not consistent with what the encyclopedia says nor is it in line with what I know as a user of lizard skins. A source would be welcome...

I have made boots out of both ring lizard and teju. And yes, you can get skins large enough to make shoes...because shoes are generally pieced. But particularly in the present market you'll play hell getting skins large enough to make the vamp of a boot. Even there, however most vamps will also be pieced simply because the skins are so small and so thin that at the margins they are fragile.

Last edited:

LeatherBoot

Reaction score
It's lined with Ostrich. Hermes doesn't usually mess about with the good stuff although recently I have been seeing Alligator wallets with calfskin interiors...and some embossed leather wallets with silk interiors.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I stand corrected on Takydromus. There's not much information available on "ring lizards" which I suspect is a non-scientific name given to describe the marking on the animal. As such, it may be from one or more different lizards. Including Varanus.

When I buy lizard skins I buy Java...sometimes called Ring lizard...or tejus.

Varanus and the Tejus appear to be different species, however. Tejus belong to the family Teiidae and Varanus Salvator to the family Varanidae.

--

Last edited:

damiance

Reaction score
It's lined with Ostrich. Hermes doesn't usually mess about with the good stuff although recently I have been seeing Alligator wallets with calfskin interiors...and some embossed leather wallets with silk interiors.
Hermes always means quality ;)

100% alligator wallet are rarities (of course depends on brand, no-name from Thailand are not). And the price is incredibly high.
Even very well known brands offer alli/croco wallets lined with some classic leather rather than exotic one. I wish I was wrong :) but classic leather inside of wallet means that it is not only cheaper (relatively) but thiner and more pliable.

For example, very nice wallet:

http://www.bottegaveneta.com/us/bi-fold-wallet_cod46306275wg.html

As to interiors - also lamb or goat skin nappa is used

LeatherBoot

Reaction score
I have seen crocodile wallets from Hermes and Goyard that are 100% crocodile. They cost about $4k each but the alligator only exterior ones from Hermes aren't much cheaper.

I personally haven't seen a better quality wallets than the ones made by Hermes and Goyard. Berluti makes some beautiful wallets too but the construction and choice of skin (especially for exotics) is not as good as Hermes or Goyard.

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
Meh. They can definitely be tasteful and subtle. From experience though, people don't tend to notice what binding holds my credentials or what holds up my pands, so why bother (perhaps the issue was indeed subtlety)? I have dabbled in exotic leather goods, but I really didn't get the recognition I wanted out of the purchases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads