• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Bal Boot Feedback

Hey guys,

In terms of the shell bal boot, I've got a few points:

1. I haven't seen or tried on the Robert last in person, so I'd prefer to wait until my Pitti meeting before we finalize this. That way I can see the last and provide you guys with as much information about it as I can.

2. If I didn't already mention it - this concept completely kicks ass. I don't say "epic" all that much. But this will be an epic boot. Antique edge trim will really make that shell color pop. We actually just need five people, as I'm completely ordering a pair of these for myself. :D

3. Just to be totally clear on colors - there's only two shades of brown that are available:

Saddle

Chestnut

We can't order Ravello, Cigar, or Whiskey. And it's not possible to order a Chestnut that looks more like Cigar. As with Alden, these shell colors have some variation and some come in darker than others, more saturated than others, etc.

All things being equal, I'd recommend Chestnut. It's a BEAUTIFUL color, and our Chestnut shortwing was the best seller of the Carmina collection. It's seasonless and easy to match. As it's darker, any imperfections in the leather (scratches, color variations) are going to be much less apparent.

Last edited:

SeventyFive

Reaction score

Simpson & Rain are the last options - Check post 316 above for last voting form.
Update - So the strong consensus on the austerity brogues seems to be for snuff suede with antique edgetrim. The only outstanding decision to be made is regarding the last -- either Simpson or Rain in a medium fitting. If you are seriously interested in these shoes, please vote in the following form, indicating your styleforum id and preference as to last, we can get this squared away and ordered when Mike is at Pitti. Voting deadline is Friday, Jan. 6th at noon.

I was asking for lasts under consideration for the balmoral boot.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I was asking for lasts under consideration for the balmoral boot.

No problem, I'll take care of this and be able to answer you after I get back. I want to get all of the information together on this bal boot before we finalize any order. And they might have some sample makeup boots there with other details that you guys like. We'll get it hashed out the week after next.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bal Boot Feedback
Hey guys,
In terms of the shell bal boot, I've got a few points:
.................3. Just to be totally clear on colors - there's only two shades of brown that are available:
We can't order Ravello, Cigar, or Whiskey. And it's not possible to order a Chestnut that looks more like Cigar. As with Alden, these shell colors have some variation and some come in darker than others, more saturated than others, etc.

Thanks for the answer,

So - apologies if this has been discussed - the Navy color for the shell boot is out of the equation?

Renton

Reaction score

The Armoury is definitely more familiar than I am with Carmina, but I'd take the width distinctions with a grain of salt. From what I've seen, their standard fits are all a variation of what we know as medium fitting.
For our first round of makeups, we used the Inca, Rain, and Forest last. I wouldn't say that the Inca is like an "wide" fit to the Forest's "medium" fit. And all of them are slimmer than either the Alden Barrie or Tru-Balance last in their normal "D" medium sizing. They're slimmer than the Wolverine 1000 Mile last too - which is an excellent fitting boot and worked for most of our customers.
We've sold quite a few Rain-lasted Chelsea boots, and I haven't had anyone comment that the boot felt roomy or wide. Quite the opposite - it's a very elegant and slim, but not tight or narrow, last. It's a great fit on me, and I end up sliding around a bit in the Barrie, even with sizing down a half.
I believe that using either the Rain or the Simpson will result in a fit with a shade or two of difference. Kind of like the Alden Aberdeen vs. the Alden Leydon last. I'd be inclined to look at their "E" vs "EE" comparisons as more of a relation on which lasts are slimmer, rather than a direct correspondence to a traditional medium or wide fit.
But to date I've only corresponded with Carmina via emails and phone calls. I'll meet with them in person next Wednesday, and I plan on really hashing out the sizing then.

:( Going by that, it sounds like I'm out of the running for the austerity brogue. I take a EE in the barrie so there's no way a medium in a last slimmer than a D width barrie will work on my feet. Is there any chance the Robert last can be made in wider widths?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks for the answer,
So - apologies if this has been discussed - the Navy color for the shell boot is out of the equation?

Oh, no sorry - Navy is definitely available. As is Burgundy (Color 8), Black, Loden, and Deep Red. I believe that Navy was being discussed for a Jodphur boot.

A Navy makeup, however, wouldn't come until the late Summer/early Fall as Carmina doesn't have any stock on that leather at the moment. They'd have to get it from Horween.

:( Going by that, it sounds like I'm out of the running for the austerity brogue. I take a EE in the barrie so there's no way a medium in a last slimmer than a D width barrie will work on my feet. Is there any chance the Robert last can be made in wider widths?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the Simpson/Rain would make up too narrow for you. Sorry about that. I'll see what we can do in the Robert though - hopefully there's a way to make up your size.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Voting is super close for the Last preference, with the Simpson last barely in the lead...

If you are seriously interested in the austerity brogue, please vote in the form below by noon tomorrow.

Austerity Brogue Last Voting Form

I am going to be seeing Mike this weekend and would be best to have this squared away and details in place before Mike heads to Pitti. Thanks to all who have expressed interest so far. The photos above look amazing!! Its going to be a great makeup.

Last edited:

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha, they cost me way more than that.
But I'll eat most of the price, as you guys deserve it for coming up with the shoe concept! :slayer: And we can definitely include them at no charge with the pricer shell boots.

Geez, you're making it hard to resist jumping in on that boot group buy.

Is it possible to get lasted boot trees? And how much extra would that be?

Since you're going to Pitti can you find out from them how much extra it would cost to get the boot hand welted instead of goodyear welted?

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, no sorry - Navy is definitely available. As is Burgundy (Color 8), Black, Loden, and Deep Red. I believe that Navy was being discussed for a Jodphur boot.
A Navy makeup, however, wouldn't come until the late Summer/early Fall as Carmina doesn't have any stock on that leather at the moment. They'd have to get it from Horween....

Ok thanks.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bal Boot Feedback
3. Just to be totally clear on colors - there's only two shades of brown that are available:
Saddle

Chestnut

All things being equal, I'd recommend Chestnut. It's a BEAUTIFUL color, and our Chestnut shortwing was the best seller of the Carmina collection. It's seasonless and easy to match. As it's darker, any imperfections in the leather (scratches, color variations) are going to be much less apparent.

Is it possible to get more pictures of the chestnut? I love the concept of the Balmoral boot, but I have the RL Lindrick and the C&J for Brooks Brothers shell boot and the first is a 'chocolatish' color to start, the other is closer to Alden's color 8 but not quite there.

So the chestnut as I see it in the pic above would unfortunately be quite close to those two boots, there or thereabouts. Or that is what it looks like.

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a new job, so if the bal boot ends up being finalized in chestnut (as I already have a Carmina boot in saddle) with Dainite soles, I may very well jump in on that.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Artking3

Reaction score

Voting is super close for the Last preference, with the Simpson last barely in the lead...

If the Simpson last does end up winning, I hope it can fit my foot. Suede does have more give so that gives me hope. Is the Simpson that much narrower than the Inca? I have the monk strap in Inca and the width is just right.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the Simpson last does end up winning, I hope it can fit my foot. Suede does have more give so that gives me hope. Is the Simpson that much narrower than the Inca? I have the monk strap in Inca and the width is just right.

Same here...I have the monk strap on the Inca last and voted for the Rain last since its between the Inca and Simpson. The Inca is the perfect width but would like to go down one last since the shoes will stretch a little.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads