• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entry - Mid level Goodyear Welted English RTW Shoes

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. Glad to finally be a member.

Long story short, I'm looking for a replacement for my black cap toe oxfords (a veritable staple of a classic men's wardrobe) and without the budget to enter the mid-upper tier of good men's footwear I remain looking at the entry-mid level.

The shoes I'm replacing are a pair of Loake 1880 Rothschilds. They've lasted me 5 years but have a hole in the upper so can't really be salvaged I fear. The hole is my fault due to a poor fit (rectified in later pairs).
I've also got a pair of Cheaney black wingtip brogues, Barker brown wingtip brogues (also with a hole in the uppers, due to the same mistake as they were bought at the same time), and a pair of brown Loake 1880 captoe oxfords, the Rothschilds as well I believe.

I've been putting together my list of English (sorry Europe/America, at this point with my collection so small I need to be able to try them on and want to start with English styling) RTW shoemakers and thought I'd share it with you guys. I'd appreciate thoughts/inputs/comments etc.

This list is only focused on calf leather (not corrected grain, as far as I can tell full-grain), goodyear welted, UK made shoes. The prices are for a pair of black captoe oxfords. As above, I don't own shoes from most of these makers so am interested in the experiences of those of you who do.

Didn't make the list

Barker (Calf): £200 - £250 (£350 for "handcrafted" range)
Grenson One/London ranges: £385 - £400
----- Neither of these brands made my list. I don't rate my Barkers as highly as my Loake 1880's and the Grensons seem overpriced comparatively.

Entry level

Loake 1880/Legacy/Export: £245/£270/£360 - The latter two ranges are new since I last looked but IMO the original 1880's were great value.
Sanders Ambassador/Diplomat: £220/£305 - Can't find too much online about Sanders, especially the difference between these two ranges.
Cheaney: £300 - £380 - The leather on my Cheaneys seem thicker than my 1880s and the detail is good but they are less comfortable.
Church's: £410-£530 - There's a lot of questions around Church's and their owners, so perhaps equal in level to Cheaney.
Crockett & Jones: £445 (benchgrade) - We're getting into the mid level here, a pair of C&J's are on my wishlist but they cost double the 1880s.
Alfred Sargent: £470 - They seem to sell a small range of high quality shoes, although I haven't ever seen a pair in the flesh.
Tricker's: £395 - £415 - I've lusted after a pair of their Stow's for a couple of years but haven't bitten the bullet yet. Look very well made.

Mid level

Are there any other brands I should be looking at?
What are your thoughts on the list and it's ordering?

My thoughts were to stay closer to the entry level for these shoes and then move up the list for my next pair. What do you think?

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Church’s are fine, and the Prada thing is overblown. The only issues with the owners are that Church’s now produce a lot of additional models in unusual leathers, and the price went up. The flip side is they have wide distribution, and are often on sale. Stick to the standard, made in England models and they’re ok.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Regarding Tricker's, it's not difficult to find Stows for under 300GBP (including VAT). Check out the Tricker's Outlet where Stows are 295 and they often have 20% sales.

It's coming up on sale season and with current world weirdness you can probably score better than usual deals. Tricker's do a lot of seasonal make-ups for retailers and they get marked down a lot. It's perhaps more difficult to find standard models like an Acorn Stow on sale but far from impossible. Tricker's dress models are quite good too and get marked down a lot as well.

Braid

Reaction score

Long story short, I'm looking for a replacement for my black cap toe oxfords (a veritable staple of a classic men's wardrobe) and without the budget to enter the mid-upper tier of good men's footwear I remain looking at the entry-mid level.

The shoes I'm replacing are a pair of Loake 1880 Rothschilds. They've lasted me 5 years but have a hole in the upper so can't really be salvaged I fear. The hole is my fault due to a poor fit (rectified in later pairs).
I've also got a pair of Cheaney black wingtip brogues, Barker brown wingtip brogues (also with a hole in the uppers, due to the same mistake as they were bought at the same time), and a pair of brown Loake 1880 captoe oxfords, the Rothschilds as well I believe.

I've been putting together my list of English (sorry Europe/America, at this point with my collection so small I need to be able to try them on and want to start with English styling) RTW shoemakers and thought I'd share it with you guys. I'd appreciate thoughts/inputs/comments etc.

This list is only focused on calf leather (not corrected grain, as far as I can tell full-grain), goodyear welted, UK made shoes. The prices are for a pair of black captoe oxfords. As above, I don't own shoes from most of these makers so am interested in the experiences of those of you who do.

Didn't make the list

----- Neither of these brands made my list. I don't rate my Barkers as highly as my Loake 1880's and the Grensons seem overpriced comparatively.

Entry level

Loake 1880/Legacy/Export: £245/£270/£360 - The latter two ranges are new since I last looked but IMO the original 1880's were great value.
Sanders Ambassador/Diplomat: £220/£305 - Can't find too much online about Sanders, especially the difference between these two ranges.
Cheaney: £300 - £380 - The leather on my Cheaneys seem thicker than my 1880s and the detail is good but they are less comfortable.
Church's: £410-£530 - There's a lot of questions around Church's and their owners, so perhaps equal in level to Cheaney.
Crockett & Jones: £445 (benchgrade) - We're getting into the mid level here, a pair of C&J's are on my wishlist but they cost double the 1880s.
Alfred Sargent: £470 - They seem to sell a small range of high quality shoes, although I haven't ever seen a pair in the flesh.
Tricker's: £395 - £415 - I've lusted after a pair of their Stow's for a couple of years but haven't bitten the bullet yet. Look very well made.

Mid level

My thoughts were to stay closer to the entry level for these shoes and then move up the list for my next pair. What do you think?
As you are focused on English makers I guess you live in UK. In this case I recommend a trip to Northampton.

If you are looking into buying your first CJ a visit to the factory shop is well worth it. You can buy seconds with minor aesthetics defects at half the price.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herring shoes is a good place to start. They also carry a private label shoe which is English made and quite reasonably priced, especially on sale.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not english but I would say Carmina on sale and meermin is worth a look. I find it hard to believe that if one looks for a bit that you can't find CJ shoes on sale, especially when going to Northhampton...

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Didn't make the list

Entry level

Mid level

have a read of those 2 threads, they should answer all of your questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads