• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was in the Twin Cities this weekend visiting my brother and made it to BlackBlue in St. Paul. Great little shop, super friendly staff/owner and a really nice selection of stuff. Expansive selection of Gitman shirting and a really solid EG buy this year. Their EG selection definitely fit their name...basically encompassing only black and blue items. Got to try on the reversible Bal coat which is really nice and finally got to check out the heathered oxford workshirts (they had both black and blue colors). Nice fabric but didn't scream "buy me" while I was there. USN jacket in black was really nice.

Best part for me was getting to check out the mainline fatigues from this season. They had them in black duck canvas (didn't even know this was an option) and the fit is fantastic on them. Slim compared to the Workadays but not too slim and after being skeptical about the new hidden pocket I'm now quite a fan actually. Ended up buying them even though I'm not sure I like black pants. I've never had a pair, not really sure how to wear them, and I don't own any black shoes. They seem to work well with chambray which is good since I have a ton of that, wearing them today with FW12 chambray shirt and some brown Russell chukkas....yep, breaking that cardinal rule of brown shoes with black pants. I actually like brown and black together though so FTW.

Anyway, these are so good I already have a PM into Gary to see if he has my size left in the olive reversed sateen...thinking those would make a nice Xmas gift to me from my family (they've already started asking me what I want...it's only September!).

catchh

Reaction score
Nice!

I got the black fatigues from them also, they are really nice although the duck canvas is very stiff but I'm guessing it gets softer over time.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this duck canvas is no joke, will be fun trying to break these in. I wonder if repeated wash and wear will fade them out a little, be interesting to see what happens...I think I'll have to wear them a lot so I can find out. Would love the brown ones too, but will probably have to settle for the black and the green.

kape

Reaction score
The brown duck is really nice, can't wait to wear them when the temps drop.

lawlercon

Reaction score

Yeah, this duck canvas is no joke, will be fun trying to break these in. I wonder if repeated wash and wear will fade them out a little, be interesting to see what happens...I think I'll have to wear them a lot so I can find out. Would love the brown ones too, but will probably have to settle for the black and the green.

Do not wash them for awhile, the duck canvas will "crock" and you'll have noticeable weird fading in weird spots! Definitely give them a good bit of wear before they hit the washer + dryer.

dishy

Reaction score
They definitely fit a half size large, but with thick socks they're fine. Maybe my feet will grow before summer comes back.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, glad to hear they are fitting big...my friend in NY put a pair of 11s in the mail for me today, hoping they'll fit. Thanks for sharing some real world pics.

Bryan_Funfetti

Reaction score
Thanks to about11oclock, I received a navy wool serge LDT jacket from Nepenthes today. Fit is spot on, really could not be happier with it. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. I thought 5 exterior pockets might seem a bit busy, but I really like the layout. Only bad thing is it's making all my bedfords look dull now.:tounge:

dareone

Reaction score
someone's already put a buy it now obo bait on ebay for the eg x nb's. $399 obo. ouch.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! Who would pay $400 for NBs? That is crazy and, personally, the Vans were way cooler. But I don't get into the whole NB thing, I have a pair of the all suede J Crew ones and think those are, by far, the best iteration of them ever.

Dino19

Reaction score
Do not wash them for awhile, the duck canvas will "crock" and you'll have noticeable weird fading in weird spots! Definitely give them a good bit of wear before they hit the washer + dryer.

So, the duck canvas behaves like raw denim? That's interesting. It'll then be a very personal customised pair. Cool.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No.

You could call Nepenthes to see if they have any left in your size, but no online store will have them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads