• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Farhad do you feel a noticeable difference between the 64 and 82 lasted Galway's? Anyone planning on treating their zugs or are they good as is?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some lp but I wonder if it is even necessary? I really don't want to change the color if I don't have to. I noticed CT treated his but they were much older, we don't have snow or salt to deal with with down here.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some lp but I wonder if it is even necessary? I really don't want to change the color if I don't have to. I noticed CT treated his but they were much older, we don't have snow or salt to deal with with down here.

It even has me wondering whether it would be a good idea to use VSC on them or not.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would keep the VSC far away from zuglets. Honestly, the leather should not require any conditioning when new.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would keep the VSC far away from zuglets. Honestly, the leather should not require any conditioning when new.

I'm not necessarily talking about using any conditioner right away, but thinking more about maintaining them later on.

nickyboy

Reaction score
Basically this is a one off kind of deal. EG used to but does not normally work with Heather Gorse at this point in time. There was a very strong interest by some of the SF members to do something with this leather in a boot and they were able to locate the leather at a tannery and the kind folks at Skoaktiebolaget were able to convince EG to do this one time deal. Hopefully I got the facts correct. I'm certainly not an expert, but the leather is supposedly fairly thick and very water resistant.

The following is one of the various posts that speak to this leather. There are others and if you are interested you could conduct a few searches.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/291745/...s-info-and-where-to-buy/8800_100#post_7161301
thankyou! now I'm getting why all the Zug fever. it looks very interesting, and unique for a high-end boot maker. I gues my searching technique fell short, all I could find was stuff about storing leather in chocolate vats. looking forward to lots of pics of people's new Zug boots. This kind of international interest could be of increasing importance to EG since local market appears dead

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's too bad, almost sounds like Chromexcel. Thanks for sharing. Sure hope they don't become to loose for me.

I'll stuff in as many inserts as needed.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
In all seriousness, I've never had footwear that fit properly in the first place stretch so much that they don't fit at all. I sure hope these won't be the first. But I kinda doubt they will be.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CTBrummie

Reaction score
The only advice I have read so far in regards to treating Zug boots is a thread @CTBrummie posted a bit ago on this same thread were a shoemaker recommended that dubbin should not be used.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/291745/...s-info-and-where-to-buy/8800_100#post_7161301

That was advice specifically from the makers of the zug leather used widely in those days, and even so I doubt very much that using any kind of dubbin (and I'm including LP etc in the same bracket) would have caused any harm at all. Unless this is deadstock leather from the long-bust Martin's then it may not even have the same hand to it - and judging by Farhad's post it might be a less rigid leather than that used back in the day. Most of you will have seen the old boots I posted a while ago which looked barely touched - never really broken in per se, but you're not buying zug veldt boots for comfort primarily, are you? lol

Although I've used dubbin to condition boots in the past, its main use for me is adding a further layer of water-proofing to a boot that is already ideal for wet conditions. Because of this, I personally would treat the boots to this from day one, although ymmv dependent on what kind of conditions you have locally. Apply the dubbin sparingly to the 'open spaces' of leather but work it in to all seams and also the area where the upper is turned out and stitched down to the midsole.

Once done, I normally plonk them on top of a warm radiator for a bit to let it all seep in - and be prepared for some bloom off the back of the treatment for the first few wears after getting the dubbin in. Of course, with it being a waxy leather, you may see bloom anyway.

I wouldn't overthink how to look after the leather though as it kicks shell into touch with regards to sturdiness and it should be able to handle any kind of shoe-related potion you can throw at it...less hand-wringing, more wearing!

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Farhad do you feel a noticeable difference between the 64 and 82 lasted Galway's? Anyone planning on treating their zugs or are they good as is?

Yes a lot of difference in the feel and the look of the boot, I can wear the 64 last Galways for 15 hours standing and walking all day and my feet are still fine, the ones on the 82 last when I remove them after 8 hours I feel a relief and my small toes are very sore!

This may not be the case with everyone and maybe because my feet are broader in front the 82 last in not best suited for me.

CTBrummie, thank you for the analogy.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes a lot of difference in the feel and the look of the boot, I can wear the 64 last Galways for 15 hours standing and walking all day and my feet are still fine, the ones on the 82 last when I remove them after 8 hours I feel a relief and my small toes are very sore!

This may not be the case with everyone and maybe because my feet are broader in front the 82 last in not best suited for me.

CTBrummie, thank you for the analogy.

My experience is quite different. I find the 82 more comfortable. I wore an 82 lasted EG yesterday for 13 hours straight with no discomfort whatsoever. And the look, to my eye, is decidedly different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads