• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depending on the price, I could be very interested!
Would you happen to know what last they are on?

They are on the 606 last.......shipping to Oz will be expensive, but I'm sure we could work something out. Check your PM!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I paid the Royal Mail shipping, that's it. It says UK9 on the box, but they feel more like a US10EE This is what they palm off as "Top Drawer" these days so you can understand why the guy is so pissed off, check this out:- The poor guy wanted MTO with slight modifications, including a storm welt, modified foxing and whiskey Cordovan. They said they could only do them as Top Drawer so they charged him Top Drawer price plus GBP250 for the Cordovan and this is what he got. Since they refuse to sort the problem out he basically gave them to me for the cost of shipping. Nice, at that price I might even wear them.
This story just reinforces a lot of the negative comments about EG I have seen made on this thread and others over the years. No way those shoes should have even left the factory.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol No, I am NOT going to paste photos of people who are likely to make my life too miserable if they ever found out!! The shoes? sure, here is the first pic:- Seems the guy was really badly screwed by them so he just getting rid of everything. My good luck I guess! The work on the fancy heels is really bad, but for the price I think I got a real bargain
Usually TD has a fiddleback. Did he specifically request a non-fiddleback waist?

Last edited:

Frank the sheep

Reaction score

Since they refuse to sort the problem out he basically gave these catastrophes to me for the cost of shipping.

What! It is a disgrace that those shoes ever left the factory and a 100 times worse that they don´t refund the original buyer or give him new shoes. My growing interest in EG took a dive right now. Everyone makes mistakes but it´s in the way you handle those that show what you are, as a person or in business.

Macallan

Reaction score
He should have sent the TD shoes recorded delivery to Hilary Freeman

As a EG customer it does concern me, especially as I am thinking about going the mto route for next 2/3 shoes.

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He should have sent the TD shoes recorded delivery to Hilary Freeman
As a EG customer it does concern me, especially as I am thinking about going the mto route for next 2/3 shoes.

I have had dozens of EGs, the majority MTO and never had a single problem. Those are pretty bad though. I'm shocked that EG won't fix the issue. They have been extremely responsive in the past.

Macallan

Reaction score

I have had dozens of EGs, the majority MTO and never had a single problem. Those are pretty bad though. I'm shocked that EG won't fix the issue. They have been extremely responsive in the past.

From my experience, EG have been brilliant; however, those shoes are concerning. Forgot why EG will not accept them back, how it left the EG factory is shocking.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
same here, i've been treated well by EG on my direct-from-EG MTO's. very surprised to hear this story

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, all my EG shoes have a TD fiddle back, but I rarely order from EG any longer anyway. Their product has deteriorated quite a lot but really, their product, and especially their customer service, is not worth the money they charge.

This guy I bought these Sandringhams from did not WANT TD Sandringhams, he wanted MTO Sandringhams with HAF sole for country wear. It was Edward Green who INSISTED that they could only produce them as Top Drawer, so that is why he had to pay Top Drawer pricing for what is essentially an MTO shoe.

That is also why these do not have a fiddle back.

Even as an MTO shoe I would simply have refused to accept these, but EG told him they refuse to take them back and they refuse to refund him either. I wish I could photograph them better so that the flaws were a little more visible.

I never realized there were so many people who still thought EG was a premiere brand, it is no secret that EG have not been a premiere brand for quite a few years already so I am not all that surprised.

LoL

Joe:

First, perhaps a hair splitter, but I thought you just paid postage.

Moving on, the Sandringham issue seems like a rare issue with EG MTO given other experiences here (I've only had EG RTW), let alone a second similar MTO issue experienced by the same original purchaser. You seem to be awfully negative towards EG, e.g.:

You want SC's? Let me show you my latest 2 pairs which arrived just in time for the Holidays:-

1- 105 in Burgundy / Merlot marbled finish (with very slight almost imperceptible golden chestnut undertones). Hand polished to perfection with the usual typical SC hand carved and hand finished shoe trees which slip in and fit like high performance racing pistons! None of that cheap crappy Edward Green "one size fits all" rubbish here.

2- 401 Balmoral boot in thick but very soft hide, nice heavy firm but supple scotch grain shaft, sensually soft and smooth inner lining, worked to perfection by the most expert hands. This is what "hand made" is supposed to mean.

Note the particularly beautiful marbled shoe. Coffee and chocolate on a bed of golden butter and bronze. These are absolutely spectacular!

Fit? Well, they feel like all the angels in heaven were sent down to massage your feet all day.

I know they are affiliate SF vendors and I should not say anything bad about them here, but hey, I need to say it like it is, trust me, EG and G&G don't come anywhere even close to SC, not even by a very, very, long, long mile.

At this quality I would be happy to pay St Crispins double the price which the average boring old "yesterday's hero" EG charges for their very average quality with their ill fitting shoe trees, or the over rated GG shoes, but, at similar prices? it is just a no brainer? These SC's are mega bargains, I cannot think of better bang for my buck.

Also, buying SC is a much easier and smoother transaction than any of the annoying experiences I always have with the English MTO and RTW brands.

My only gripe is that SC used to supply boot trees and I am experiencing a little trouble finding boot trees for this pair of 401's
http://www.styleforum.net/t/257353/st-crispins-appreciation-thread/165#post_6011461

Yet, G&G, being an "English MTO/RTW" brand is ok? I thought they were overrated?

Merry Christmas to you too!

I don't mean to be rude but are you perhaps the same Nick from Bespoke England?

I have been registered with SF for 6 months now and I never realized the owner of the G&G retail site might also be a SF member! LOL!

If you are the same Nick I am the guy who sent you an e-mail with a bunch of urls of G&G stuff I am interested in buying, I really do hope you have had time to look through them because I am a REALLY keen buyer!

If you are not the same Nick, well, perhaps you could sell me some shoes anyway ;-)
http://www.styleforum.net/t/236162/...on-shoo-Appreciation-theard/6375#post_6009430

-and-

Well, they have a good product and I am sure it is just the Holiday season or something.

Would love to post a nice G&G purchase on these pages, especially after lurking and quietly enjoying everyone's company for so long!

http://www.styleforum.net/t/236162/...on-shoo-Appreciation-theard/6405#post_6013672

even though...

I discovered St Crispins during a visit to Hawaii (Leather Soul).

I will RARELY buy another pair of G&G or EG again. I can't understand why St Crispins are not double the price of EG and G&G, but hey, for a genuine hand made shoe I am NOT complaining!

Has anyone else noticed how crappy Edward Green's shoe trees are these days? Why would you pay the Edward Green price for their really crappy service, their obscenely bad customer attitude and their declining quality when you can buy GENUINE hand made St Crispins shoes for the same price?

Beats me.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/257353/st-crispins-appreciation-thread/165#post_6011461

Look, I really don't personally care what shoes you prefer (if fact, I love Saint Crispin's as well)...but as HRoi said:

same here, i've been treated well by EG on my direct-from-EG MTO's. very surprised to hear this story
So, having gone out of your way to trash EG and, frankly, G&G, what's the deal?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where have I "gone out of my way to trash" anybody? Are consumers not supposed to express their views? Are we not supposed to discuss our experiences?

I see, EG are "affiliate members of SF" so we can only say nice things about them - right? Well, I say what I think, and if I think something stinks I will say it stinks, period.

And no, I actually don't have a problem with Edward Green. Like I said, I RARELY if ever buy any of their stuff. Why? because I think their products and service are sub standard and that they are not the quality product they once were. I prefer other products, so shoot me!!!

And no, I am not so sure issues with EG are as rare as you claim, take a proper look through SF forums, and AAAC forums, aww heck there have even been sellers on e-Bay not so long ago trying to get rid of other terrible nightmare experiences from Edward Green which they were saddled with and which they could not get rid of, even on eBay.

Since you are so concerned I will try to find copies of those eBay sales for you to see for yourself how common these problems actually really are. You can look through SF forums yourself and find where other people have had problems, I'll leave you to do that yourself.

Are all these stories true? Are they all lies? who knows? Heck, who the hell cares? all I know is I have bought a pair of shoes from a friend which are pretty darned rat **** and which were recently produced by EG and which EG apparently refused to resolve or explain.

I'll let you go figure that one out for yourself.

By your own admission you only wear EGs RTW range, good luck with them and I hope you enjoy them, but these are not RTW, they are not even their overpriced MTOs, these are the rather more expensive over-priced Top Drawers. How amny Top Drawer shoes do you own?

I am willing to bet that you are one of those consumers who actually believes the myth that EG's "lasted" shoe trees which come with the Edward Green range of shoes really are actually lasted? If generic shoe trees in a supposedly "superior" shoe is what turns your lights on, hey, I am cool with that, go buy as many as you like, heck I will even encourage you, but don't attack me for thinking a lasted shoe tree needs, at the very least, to be actually "lasted" in order to be sold in all honesty as a lasted shoe tree.

If you are satisfied with the quality of the EG Sandringhams which I posted, and these were manufactured only a few months ago, well then I am even happy to sell them to you since you are such an enthusiast.

How about half the retail price? would that be acceptable? Only Edward Green does not produce lasted shoe trees for their shoes so the generic Edward Green shoe trees which came with these shoes and which the box falsely claims to be "lasted" are the only shoe trees I can supply with them. We can pretend that they really are lasted just not to offend anybody's sensitivities shall we?

Let me know if you want them, half price, I think that is fair and reasonable for this new and unworn pair of "Top Drawer" Edward Green shoes, don't you?

Perhaps, when you receive them and when you realize EG will probably not own up to this mess, maybe you might also wish somebody had warned you before you were suckered into buying them!

And no, I did not trash G&G, in fact I am trying to get hold of somebody who actually sells MTO and bespoke G&G because the only shoe retailer I trust has terminated all business with them. My retailer refuses to sell any of their products to me.

Actually, my retailer is an affiliate vendor on SF, perhaps you could accuse him of trashing the G&G product as well because he refuses to have anything to do with them?

Wanting to buy a pair or two of G&Gs products does not make me an enthusiast, I doubt I would ever be an enthusiast, but I can understand why other people are enthusiasts and there are aspects of their product range which I do appreciate. I might even own a few more pairs if I can find somebody who actually sells them.

Again, shoot me for not being in love with G&G and shoot me for sending out unanswered e-mails.

Does everyone really have to run about blindly worshiping every product in these forums? Is there no space for doubt, for criticism, for alternative views?

WTF??

Take it easy.

Last edited:

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joe Gat:

Mind sharing where you are getting SC's for EG prices? I've found EGs for $1100-1200 and on sale for $650 and up.

I almost never see SCs on sale and they're $1600 at LeatherSoul.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads