• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

downunderdoc

Reaction score
I’ve had to take the MTO route for loafers. My Harrows took 15 months and 3 tries, but they’re handsewn. Non-handsewn models should take less time.
The MTO lead time for anything is wild at the moment. I put in an order for a pair of oxfords in mid-June and was told they’re not going to be ready until the end of January 2024.

letsgofire

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Shanklin (unlined chukkas)? I'm considering getting some for summer but have no clue what kind of fit to wear with them. I also have large feet and am worried they'll look like clown shoes
I have Shanklin in mushroom. Amazing. Great casual shoe. The color works with everything except very dark colors. Ideal for white, off white, denim, gray, green and more. Does not look right with black or dark denim.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
The MTO lead time for anything is wild at the moment. I put in an order for a pair of oxfords in mid-June and was told they’re not going to be ready until the end of January 2024.

I received a pair of Galways in just under 3 months last fall. That was a little under the predicted lead time. Everything else has been way past predicted, at least 15 months.

E. coli

Reaction score
Sounds about right, a Shoes of Stefan Group MTO last year (May) on a pair of Dover in green pasture hatch grain and received them in January.

downunderdoc

Reaction score
Sounds about right, a Shoes of Stefan Group MTO last year (May) on a pair of Dover in green pasture hatch grain and received them in January.
To be fair that is for a hand-stitched apron. I was quite surprised that the wait is that long for a “simple” oxford.

I called the Jermyn St store the other day and Anthony confirmed the prolonged lead time. He was saying how busy the factory is at the moment - lots of demand from US clients, apparently. They are trying to train up some new makers but it takes time.

shoefan57

Reaction score
To be fair that is for a hand-stitched apron. I was quite surprised that the wait is that long for a “simple” oxford.

I called the Jermyn St store the other day and Anthony confirmed the prolonged lead time. He was saying how busy the factory is at the moment - lots of demand from US clients, apparently. They are trying to train up some new makers but it takes time.
It's great to hear they are doing so well. It was extremely difficult for the shoe factories ( and other businesses) during the worst of Covid because they could not afford to keep all their skilled staff but now business is good again they've lost them and need to train new people. Just business I guess, if I were going to be hard headed about it but nonetheless a nightmare for the workforce and for the management. But, hey, we didn't lose EG which is such good news.

downunderdoc

Reaction score
It's great to hear they are doing so well. It was extremely difficult for the shoe factories ( and other businesses) during the worst of Covid because they could not afford to keep all their skilled staff but now business is good again they've lost them and need to train new people. Just business I guess, if I were going to be hard headed about it but nonetheless a nightmare for the workforce and for the management. But, hey, we didn't lose EG which is such good news.
Agreed - nice to see them doing well when so many other makers are closing or cutting quality.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I am a bit worried about this situation. High demand and the subsequent necessary training of new people can lead to a drop in quality. I've already seen some issues a few pages back on this forum. I like their shoes very much and I hope they stay at their quality level.

shoefan57

Reaction score
New MTO Troons in Dark Oak 202 last:

IMG_1786.jpeg

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't worn these Belgravias in a while. They were causing me a fair bit of discomfort after the first several wears so they went back to the factory for inspection. Turns out they'd been too tightly lasted - so they wet them down and put them back on the last to dry off in the correct shape. This seems to have alleviated the issue to a large extent.

It definitely tells me that whoever is currently in charge of operating the lasting machine at the factory is a bit of a rookie, especially since I've got a similar issue on the Piccadilly I bought recently. Thankfully the issue on those is less pronounced (the toe box is tighter than normal but not as bad as it was on these Belgravias) so I am able to wear them.

IMG_6179.jpeg

IMG_6182.jpeg

jellyroller

Reaction score
Haven't worn these Belgravias in a while. They were causing me a fair bit of discomfort after the first several wears so they went back to the factory for inspection. Turns out they'd been too tightly lasted - so they wet them down and put them back on the last to dry off in the correct shape. This seems to have alleviated the issue to a large extent.

It definitely tells me that whoever is currently in charge of operating the lasting machine at the factory is a bit of a rookie, especially since I've got a similar issue on the Piccadilly I bought recently. Thankfully the issue on those is less pronounced (the toe box is tighter than normal but not as bad as it was on these Belgravias) so I am able to wear them.

View attachment 1989841
View attachment 1989843
Sharp!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads