• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

RebelScum

Reaction score

giphy.gif

You know, Raw is just a bad imitation of Delirious.

Last edited:

RebelScum

Reaction score

RebelScum I have a knock off Rolex for sale you might be interested in. Runs real nice and built WELL. Time will tell exactly HOW well, and while I have no doubt that a true expert could spot the difference, the only one I can see between it and an authentic Rolex is a very expensive sticker. Only asking $10k!

Hit me up over pm and let's make a deal.

Nothing like comparing apples and Rolexes to make a smug point badly.

ES670

Reaction score

Canadian prices. The entry level version at DWR starts at $4800; upgraded to similar leather as mine is pushing $8k. Used, I haven't found anything that after conversion and shipping would be less than $4500, and that's AGGRESSIVELY used.

That clip is actually just the Rove manufacturer fabric tag. If I really wanted to I could tuck it up under the metal plate, but, meh.

I'd never buy at retail price either. I think it's true that folks outside the US have much less access to quality vintage pieces in the used market.
No one can say about the longevity of the Rove chairs. And it's not to say that the Herman Miller ones are bullet proofed either especially because the manufacturing process by HM has changed quite bit over the years.

One other idea for folks in Canada maybe to look at the used ones in the US and then make the drive across the border? I personally found my first Eames Lounge Chair by driving 1000 miles within 24 hours. It made it an even more interesting and meaningful story to talk about.

Last edited:

modernman76

Reaction score
I have the same dilemma as some of you. I'm looking at IFN Modern as well as Rove for an Eames Lounge and a few LCW's. I've tried to talk myself into the Herman Miller version, but just can't see $3500+ worth of value for it. I've seen many pics of authentic HM's broken, so how pissed would I be if a $1600 clone/copy breaks, as opposed to $3500 chair breaks? I realize in a lot of areas you get what you pay for, and I'm one that likes to pay once and enjoy for life, but some products don't make sense.

To me most copies of these designs are **** and you can spot them from across the room, but just like with some high end watches, there are copies out there that are so well made most collectors can't tell the difference (until they take the movement apart). Those replica/fake/copy watches aren't cheap (some go for $2000+), but if you want the look/quality and can't afford $8k+, they're the people to see. I see these chair models the same way. These are not complex or difficult designs to make , and the materials are not extremely expensive (plywood with veneer). If these were made from solid Palisander or another hard wood, I wouldn't balk at the price.

I read a couple Eames LC design patent articles that said that the design patent ended in 1963, but that the "dress" protection (http://www.bairdholm.com/publications-feed/entry/eames-and-a-primer-on-design-patents.html) may still be in place. There have been dress lawsuits from HM stating that they are concerned that the replicas are so accurate that there may be an issue of identity, and therefore copies may be sold as authentic HM.

I don't feel bad about purchasing a non-HM copy, as long as it's represented as such and they don't use the Eames name or images. For the HM you're paying for the Eames/HM names.

I welcome anyone's first hand knowledge of either of these clones.

vestaviascott

Reaction score
@bobsmith45 We just ordered our chair (Walnut with black Modena leather) in mid-april. I was eagerly anticipating it, but then I read your note about discontinuing the chair. I immediately got in touch with Rove to ask about it. I have to say, their customer service has been beyond outstanding; they got back to us immediately, like within 20 minutes.

I asked if I should worry that the chair I ordered was not up to quality. This was her response:
Quote:

So I felt better about that immediately, but still not 100% comfortable after seeing some people on this thread sharing swatches showing cheap and only part-aniline leathers. Fortunately, Rove had an upgraded chair in Walnut and Palermo waxy-aniline in stock in the warehouse, and they were happy to upgrade us (around $300 extra.)

@RebelScum thanks for posting your pics and comments. I was hoping to get the Rove in "Modena" Analine leather but as you found out, they are sold out and only have the "Waxy" Analine in stock (aka "Palermo" black). I'm trying to get over the shiny patent leather look of it. Much prefer the muted satin sheen of the Modena Analine leather. Curious how you feel about the level of shine on the leather now that you have the chair in house.

Also, more importantly, how do you find the cushioning, flex and overall comfort of the chair? Can you compare the feel to that of a Herman Miller if you've had an opportunity to sit in one?

Thanks in advance. Any additional pics you can post are definitely welcome. Especially if you have opportunity to remove the cushions or get a close up of the rubber shock mounts on the Rove.

Last edited:

sbrentn

Reaction score
I was reading through the posts since my last one and noticed that someone mentioned IFN Modern no longer sold their chair in the United States. I checked their webpage and that is indeed true - "Ships only within Canada". Bummer - I love mine and I honestly think it's the best reproduction I've ever seen - can't imagine one better.

But on to the topic at hand - originally I'd also considered Manhattan Home Design and boy am I glad I didn't choose them. I visited their showroom on Monday while in NYC. It's a tiny little office on the 15th floor with 4 chairs in it and a messy office space. Much smaller "showroom" than I expected. As for the Lounge Chair? It looked cheap: the leather on the floor model was the standard leather and felt and looked rough. No tilt. The chair itself wasn't comfortable like the IFN, actually rather hard. The wood on the inside wasn't veneered, just rough and unfinished. Also, deep tufting was almost non-existent. Not worth the $1000+ they're charging, not at all.

Here's my IFN chair in my new place - LOVE IT:

Last edited:

vestaviascott

Reaction score
I read a couple Eames LC design patent articles that said that the design patent ended in 1963, but that the "dress" protection (http://www.bairdholm.com/publications-feed/entry/eames-and-a-primer-on-design-patents.html) may still be in place. There have been dress lawsuits from HM stating that they are concerned that the replicas are so accurate that there may be an issue of identity, and therefore copies may be sold as authentic HM.

It appears that ever since HM won suit way back in 2001 against Palazzetti Imports and Exports, Inc (an Italian furniture maker selling knockoff Eames chairs) their legal team has successfully pursued and stopped anyone gaining traction selling reproductions of their licensed chair design:

Herman Miller vs Palazzetti Imports and Exports, Inc:
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-6th-circuit/1404450.html

"The Real Deal" - The Eames design is the only chair protected by law:
http://articles.latimes.com/2006/dec/24/magazine/tm-eameschair52

Herman Miller Sues Canadian Company for selling iconic Eames knock off:
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/11/herman_miller_sues_canadian_co.html

It's been confirmed to me by email as well as on the sales pages for Rove and IFN that they have both discontinued the chairs (not coincidentally at the exact same time and for nearly identical reasons). They are only selling current stock and then no more.

Last edited:

vestaviascott

Reaction score
Here's my IFN chair in my new place - LOVE IT:

Great looking chair! You got one of the last ones! Atleast from IFN Modern.

Please post a few more pics if you have time. Would like to see behind a cushion(s) and closeup of the veneer.

With the North American reproduction shops all out of stock and out of time (or going out soon when HM legal catches up with them), the mainland China vendors will no doubt fill in the gaps via their Alibaba sites. I did a bit more research and found out that the IFN chair is sourced here (confirmed from their sales rep):

Shenzhen Yadea Furniture Co., Ltd > http://www.chinayadea.com/Products/EamesLoungeChair.html

Alibaba Sales Page > https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...60426592745.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.rj7vQC

Shock Mount

PU injected foam cushions

Under cushion veneer & cushion fasteners

'

Leather and Fabric

Last edited:

RebelScum

Reaction score

@RebelScum
 thanks for posting your pics and comments. I was hoping to get the Rove in "Modena" Analine leather but as you found out, they are sold out and only have the "Waxy" Analine in stock (aka "Palermo" black). I'm trying to get over the shiny patent leather look of it. Much prefer the muted satin sheen of the Modena Analine leather. Curious how you feel about the level of shine on the leather now that you have the chair in house.

Also, more importantly, how do you find the cushioning, flex and overall comfort of the chair? Can you compare the feel to that of a Herman Miller if you've had an opportunity to sit in one?

Thanks in advance. Any additional pics you can post are definitely welcome. Especially if you have opportunity to remove the cushions or get a close up of the rubber shock mounts on the Rove.

I am extremely happy with this chair. I had the same concern with the Palermo but in person it's more of a matte sheen effect than the photos on their site portray.

As for comfort...I'm sure to ******** for this but since I got it, I've gone to EQ3 and DWR and I don't notice a difference. The cushions are extremely comfortable and firm and the leather is just crazy buttery. My only gripe is, I wish it came in the tall version.

I'll take a better photo tomorrow.

twistoffat

Reaction score
Yep even their promotional video has quality written all over it. Poor girl, if only the guy holding the Cue cards would stand still.

One thing I will say about the original Eames Chair and the reason why I decided against it for a Vitra "Grand Repos" is, for what it is, its extremely overpriced.

sbrentn

Reaction score
Yep even their promotional video has quality written all over it. Poor girl, if only the guy holding the Cue cards would stand still.

One thing I will say about the original Eames Chair and the reason why I decided against it for a Vitra "Grand Repos" is, for what it is, its extremely overpriced.

I actually thought that video was really unprofessional - the echo, people clanking around in the background. I remember watching it and the one by IFN before I made my purchase and it was the tipping point for me:

sbrentn

Reaction score
Great looking chair! You got one of the last ones! Atleast from IFN Modern.

Please post a few more pics if you have time. Would like to see behind a cushion(s) and closeup of the veneer.

With the North American reproduction shops all out of stock and out of time (or going out soon when HM legal catches up with them), the mainland China vendors will no doubt fill in the gaps via their Alibaba sites. I did a bit more research and found out that the IFN chair is sourced here (confirmed from their sales rep):

Shenzhen Yadea Furniture Co., Ltd > http://www.chinayadea.com/Products/EamesLoungeChair.html

Alibaba Sales Page > https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...60426592745.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.rj7vQC

Shock Mount

PU injected foam cushions

Under cushion veneer & cushion fasteners

'

Leather and Fabric

I'd be happy to take some photos for you. In the meantime, I'll share some photos that IFN sent me before I made my purchase - I asked specifically about the cushions, how they attached and the quality of the tufting. The guy went to his showroom and took photos for me with his phone. I'll upload some of MY photos later, but in the meantime I'll share those as well. One thing I WILL say - I took a cushion off of mine when I got the chair and unzipped it just out of curiosity - the foam didn't seem to be wrapped in decron silk as advertised. I was unsure if that was something I should have called them about, but I never did. Don't think that will hurt the longevity of the piece. Also, I don't think I mentioned it before, but I want to point out how SOLID this chair is. It oozes quality when you sit in it, from the comfort of the cushions to no weird creaks or wobbles.

vestaviascott

Reaction score
@sbrentn - Thanks for the pics. Very impressive. Do the seat and ottoman cushions come off as well? On the HM version, they are supposed to be interchangeable with one another.

sbrentn

Reaction score
@sbrentn - Thanks for the pics. Very impressive. Do the seat and ottoman cushions come off as well? On the HM version, they are supposed to be interchangeable with one another.

As far as I know, they do. I haven't tried it, but I was told that they were (and they look exactly the same).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I love the Grand Repo, but honestly isn't it over priced too? The leather version starts at around $6.5K and the premium full aniline dyed nappa leather takes it up to $11K. These are all design objects and you end up paying a lot for that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads