• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

ES670

Reaction score
The only "off" things I see in your chair so far is the white string on the back of the cushion because the original ones don't have that and the originals have black rectangular clips that hold the cushion in place. I'm pointing these things out for the sake of noting the subtle differences, rather than being knit picky.

Since you offered, I"d like to see the bottom of the chair, especially a close up of the 5-star base. Very happy for you =)

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
Haha, it's ok. I'm glad you pointed out the differences. :) Here are the pics of the base. Sorry, my iPhone takes terrible pics. Maybe the iPhone 6 will be better??? Lol

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha, it's ok. I'm glad you pointed out the differences. :) Here are the pics of the base. Sorry, my iPhone takes terrible pics. Maybe the iPhone 6 will be better??? Lol

TBH I thought the iPhone was one of the better cameraphones?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My client gave me a budget and tell me what they want. I simply steer them to the right directions and pointed out to them the pros and cons. Recently I was furnishing a multi-million dollar mansion, but the owner is not willing to pay $4700 for the Barcelona chair. But with a $650 knock off? He said go ahead and get me 4!!

That's why he has a muti-million dollar mansion,
and the average SF reader probably only has a few thousand in the bank and will rent forever.
See my salary survey below for even more reality.

The Rove chair is now $1600.
If Rove pushed their price to $75000, it would be a more desirable here.

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The $2900 discount price quoted above was for the chair only, not the ottoman set.
The chair retails for $3600. So, at $2900, the discount is $700 or 20%.
So, the insider discount price for a full set would be about $3600.

Real for $3600. Rove for $1600. Resale residual value now comes into play.

Last edited:

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heals on Tottenham Court Road, London are having a pretty hefty 70% off sale right now. They've got a few Eames Lounge Chairs...

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find old original versions of these "iconic" chairs to be of value. I don't see what's appealing about something mass produced now with no real connection to the artist. It doesn't matter if you buy real or replicas to me; just the fact that it has a replica is an indicator of how unappealing it is.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They were always mass-produced, even when the "artist" was involved, and Herman Miller was the manufacturer by Eames to make them.

twistoffat

Reaction score
Jeeez when the replica spammers starting bitching about the competition things must be bad. First post with a plug for MRD and a note to stay away from the rest. :slapfight:

chronoguy

Reaction score
I have an original Herman Miller piece along with 12 other authentic Eames chairs (LCW/Molded plastic, etc).
I debated on getting a fake for a long time and my wife talked me out of it. I also happen to collect watches and she said to me,"How does it feel to a wear a fake Rolex or Panerai" and it hit me.
Furniture is something you will have a for a very long time (like a wrist watch) and something to you can pass on to your heirs. They cost amortization makes sense once you calculate the long term usage.

The ELO (Eames Lounge and Ottoman) was never cheap.It was $485-500 back in 1956 which meant it cost more than it did in today's dollars.

And to those who rationalize, "Oh well, the designers are long dead, why does it matter" or Herman Miller also makes reproductions.

I can answer to those. Herman Miller has always made the ELO in constant production. It is not a dead product that was resurrected like a George Nelson Modernica lamp.
Herman Miller was company that hired and supported the Eames under George Nelson's direction. All the major Eames hits came under the employ and retainer of Herman Miller. I think the exception may be the early LCW protoypes. But Herman Miller and Eames go hand in hand. When you think of someone like Jonathan Ives, you think Apple. When you think Ray and Charles Eames, you should think Herman Miller.

The only difference between today's ELO and one in 1956 are the inner cushions have been upgraded. Certain wood grains like Brazillian rosewood are no longer available (due to extinction). Otherwise, it is pretty much the same. Also, the ELO has always been made in Michigan USA. Something I am very proud of buying an American made product. I can't answer for the Vitra version.

As for the Eames being long dead and wether this should be in the public domain is flawed. Herman Miller spends a lot of money and contributes a lot to the Eames estate to keep the legacy alive.
They invest in the Eames house, contribute to Eames causes and help foster new designers. If they didn't spend the time and money to keep the Eames name "alive," the product would not be as popular and lust worthy as it is today. They have to keep that legend and mythos in place and consumers are paying for that. They also keep control on the price to protect buyer's investment. ELOs keep their resale pretty well. Buy a $4000 chair from Restoration Hardware and in 4 years, no one is going to buy it. Who designed that and where was it made? But with an ELO from Herman Miller, you know the lineage.

If Herman Miller didn't keep the Eames legacy alive, the Eames piece would be unknown like Paul McCobb, Lane Acclaim, Bent Silberg and other MCM pieces which are only attractive to mid-century type fanatics.
They value of the ELO wouldn't be lustworthy.

So yes, the current price of the ELO does not bother me. The $5K you spend is the price of admission. If you want to be admitted to the club, you gotta pay the ticket price. Pure and simple.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads