• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

twistoffat

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with someone being a man or a woman. Its like you say when you ask a crazy person if they are crazy, the same applies to asking a person if a copy is as good as an original. We all know the answer but some will defend their choice to buy a fake to the death. The real reasoning behind it is either a feeling of inadequacy at ones lack of purchasing power to get the real thing and the compelling wish to defend that decision as being prudent or just not wanting to admit that they have no understanding of the product or its history but because they saw it on the set of Frasier and some other movies they have to have it at any price but not cost what it may.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
some people are totally happy with cubic zirconias on their fingers and counterfeit bags on their shoulders. Same applies with furniture. I admire their gall.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who can't (or maybe won't) afford a $1500 chair knock-off or not, I'm having an incredibly difficult time understanding why you would buy an imitation for that much money instead of just splurging and getting a proper original?

Honestly, $1500 for a chair . . . you've already passed any semblance of thriftiness or affordability at such a price point - at least if you're considering what mere mortals buy. So just keep going, yes $4-5k is a lot more than $1500, but guess what? That's already quite a lot, may as well push it.

ES670

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with someone being a man or a woman. Its like you say when you ask a crazy person if they are crazy, the same applies to asking a person if a copy is as good as an original. We all know the answer but some will defend their choice to buy a fake to the death. The real reasoning behind it is either a feeling of inadequacy at ones lack of purchasing power to get the real thing and the compelling wish to defend that decision as being prudent or just not wanting to admit that they have no understanding of the product or its history but because they saw it on the set of Frasier and some other movies they have to have it at any price but not cost what it may.
I agree with some of what you said, but I really don't think there's anyone here who claims that reproductions are AS GOOD AS the original. If anything, they're saying some repro's are doing a very good job imitating, but of course, the design, the history, the value, etc, cannot be imitated. In fact, you're very correct in that not everyone has the spending power to throw $4K on a chair and that's why some people choose to go the repro route. I'm sure many of you are very knowledgeable about design and have a very deep sense of appreciation for it, but I just find the forceful way of "convincing" people very hard to understand. Like I mentioned before, I once went the repro route as well and found out it was a bad mistake and because of that my appreciation for the chair grew 10 folds. It's a learning curve for many of us. As consumers, sometimes we just get attracted to certain design and go ahead and purchase without having to or wanting to do tons of research on the history of it (like what you said about Frasier). And if the design turns out to be too expensive for us and we still want it, I think it just comes down to a personal choice if one wants to buy a repro and it really isn't a sin that deserves the death penalty. Honestly, some of you have good points, but I just think if we all can be more mindful about HOW we express our opinions, this forum would be a much better learning platform for everyone. Just my 2 cents.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Because it's a reproduction? It's definitely more than that because when ozzy raved about how wonderful his reproduction was.

His post smelled like spam to me, so just shrugged it off.

All the posters who show up and only post in this thread and rave about how great x is, is the internet equivalent of getting up on a milk crate in the middle of the street telling people how great something is, no one will give a ****, as there is no precedent for what you are saying is true.

Last edited:

ES670

Reaction score
Is that really all you got, Find Finn? When people don't agree with you, all you have left is, oh they're spammers; oh they only post on 1 thread, so they don't know anything. I'm not a design person and I joined this forum only because of my enthusiasm for the Eames Lounge Chair. And probably because I"m new, that makes me ignorant and according to you, "no one will give a ****" about my posts. Oh, let me remind you, it is OK for some people to be happy with their purchase, even with reproductions and they don't need your approval. But no one is trying to convince you to buy a reproduction over an original.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is that really all you got, Find Finn? When people don't agree with you, all you have left is, oh they're spammers; oh they only post on 1 thread, so they don't know anything. I'm not a design person and I joined this forum only because of my enthusiasm for the Eames Lounge Chair. And probably because I"m new, that makes me ignorant and according to you, "no one will give a ****" about my posts. Oh, let me remind you, it is OK for some people to be happy with their purchase, even with reproductions and they don't need your approval. But no one is trying to convince you to buy a reproduction over an original. 

Read what I write, not what you want it to say.

I didn't say you didn't know anything, I said only having one post and raving about a product, will make people skeptic and think what you say is spam AND therefor they will just ignore your post.

ES670

Reaction score
Read what I write, not what you want it to say.

I didn't say you didn't know anything, I said only having one post and raving about a product, will make people skeptic and think what you say is spam AND therefor they will just ignore your post.
Maybe I'm just that stupid, but there's no way I could have deduced that from your original post. Intentional or not, the attacks towards anyone here just aren't appreciated, maybe except for the attackers. But again, with 10 posts, what do I know?

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also the lemon post, is actually likely a member on here, recently received an empty coke bottle instead of a a $1000 leather jacket, so not opening the parcel upon receiving it will only create trouble, as there is a statue of limitation on parcel claims. So it's not an attack, it's advice, I work with furniture and shipping every day, so I see smashed chairs etc. daily and they can still be damaged even though the box doesn't show signs of damage.

Last edited:

ES670

Reaction score
I agree. I recently order 2 Eames LCM chairs and the box came in perfect condition until I opened it to find some plywood pieces to have dents and chips due to them not being packaged well and being shoved around during the shipment. So just to be safe, you may want to consider inspecting it. For Find Finn, your last post came across much more supportive and constructive; I hope we get to hear from that side of you more. Peace.....

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why did you order them, they go on sale tomorrow.

The photo of the box on the porch does not do much to convince me either. Why did the husband not unpack it rather than take a picture of it?

ES670

Reaction score
I have to say I almost laughed when I saw your post, SkinnyGoomba. No disrespect, but don't be so paranoid. No one is trying to deceive you. For me, it was an eBay order and I got a pretty good deal for around $800 for both chairs; they're a year old but in brand new condition, well except for the damage during shipping. The damage was only on one chair, so I'll have to work with the buyer to get insurance involved. Hassle.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads