• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving with a suit

insanestyle

Reaction score
I take every opportunity to avoid the development of ugly wrinkles or creases on any of my jackets. When in the car, its gotta go on a hanger over the passenger side window hook.. dont need the damn side-view mirror.. whats more important right?!?!

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say I find this thread to be mildy surprising. If you look at classic films - when do you ever see a Cary Grant, a Jimmy Stewart or a Humphrey Bogart etc remove his coat when he drives a car? In fact those guys never even removed their hats let alone their coats. In any case, you had better be at least wearing a waistcoat underneath otherwise you might as well take your trousers and shoes off as well.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I leave it on- but then again I leave my jacket on all day in the office anyway.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I must say I find this thread to be mildy surprising. If you look at classic films - when do you ever see a Cary Grant, a Jimmy Stewart or a Humphrey Bogart etc remove his coat when he drives a car? In fact those guys never even removed their hats let alone their coats. In any case, you had better be at least wearing a waistcoat underneath otherwise you might as well take your trousers and shoes off as well.

But aren't moviestars supplied with more than 1 outfit and a barrage of wardrobe staff and bootlickers, just in case the one they're wearing aren't telegenic anymore?

jackassery

Reaction score
I find this thread mildly amusing too. Here I thought I was asking a dumb question and it turns out to elicit a 3 page response. Then again this is the internet where the dumbest questions get biggest response.

I guess I'll keep trying it both ways until I get a feel for how I wanna go about it. I'd like to drive with it on but I feel slightly restricted FWIW I also don't like driving in any shoes other than my chucks. So perhaps I'm just weird.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
But aren't moviestars supplied with more than 1 outfit and a barrage of wardrobe staff and bootlickers, just in case the one they're wearing aren't telegenic anymore?

Grant and Astaire wore their own clothes. I am sure that Grant wore the same grey Savile Row lounge suit for the scenes in North by Northwest. It still looked immaculate after attempts to knock it off by the bad guys. A modern tissue paper Super suiting would never have survived.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Grant and Astaire wore their own clothes. I am sure that Grant wore the same grey Savile Row lounge suit for the scenes in North by Northwest. It still looked immaculate after attempts to knock it off by the bad guys. A modern tissue paper Super suiting would never have survived.

Which is relatively easy to do when each film take averages 3-10 minutes, depending on the scene and location of scene.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchapel
Which is relatively easy to do when each film take averages 3-10 minutes, depending on the scene and location of scene.

Have you ever watched as they film a scene? They redo it countless times from different angles etc just to get that 3 minute take which ends up in the final cut. Most of it ends up on the cutting room floor.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Have you ever watched as they film a scene? They redo it countless times from different angles etc just to get that 3 minute take which ends up in the final cut. Most of it ends up on the cutting room floor.
Yes, many times, as I have been an extra on several movies and TV shows. Yes, they redo it countless times, but if you would have read my post, you would see that I said each take. Each take does not last that long (on average 3-10 minutes), and then the actors go and sit while the production crew gets things setup for the next take of the scene, depending on angle, etc., or if they're done with that take, they'll move onto another scene. What's my point? My point is that suits looking immaculate in movies are immaculate because of the short amount of time they're filming each take, even with "attempts to knock it off by the bad guys."

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is James Stewart in Vertigo. The coat is exactly where it belongs:

vertigo_shot1l.jpg

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In any case, you had better be at least wearing a waistcoat underneath otherwise you might as well take your trousers and shoes off as well.

Under consideration.
smile.gif

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You will note that none of the films stars you mention did the bulk of their work during the era of the SEATBELT. Pesky little item that does more to wrinkle the average suit jacket and tie (definitely over the seatbelt) than most anything we encounter on a daily basis.

Also, cars were a scoash roomier in that era. Try entering the average car today with that fedora on your head and you'll be reshaping it!

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchapel
Yes, many times, as I have been an extra on several movies and TV shows. Yes, they redo it countless times, but if you would have read my post, you would see that I said each take. Each take does not last that long (on average 3-10 minutes), and then the actors go and sit while the production crew gets things setup for the next take of the scene, depending on angle, etc., or if they're done with that take, they'll move onto another scene.

What's my point? My point is that suits looking immaculate in movies are immaculate because of the short amount of time they're filming each take, even with "attempts to knock it off by the bad guys."

But earlier in this thread someone said that it is the sitting and not the moving that causes the wrinkles...

By the way, I avoid this problem by refraining from driving. I have managed to do that for about 25 years by now.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say that following a practice as demonstrated by a Hollywood movie can only set one up for disappointment.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads