• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Tom Ford do classic, or just trendy?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

if you don't know what you want, you won't get what you want.
no amount of money paid will satisfy you.

Not true. It's possible to not really know what you want, go somewhere looking for a suit, and find one you like. I don't know why that should be impossible. Of course it's easier to find something you like if you already know what it looks like, but it's not necessary.

i have an idea of what i want, my tailor has their price.

Like I said, I hope he delivers what you want. But you pick a random tailor charging $700 CMT on a suit, you're probably not going to get what you want if you're very picky at all.

-and the o.p can get what he wants.if he knows what he wants.  or, he can pay too much for a brand name.

Again, if the OP really likes the TF, the safest and probably most cost-effective option is to just buy TF, on sale if you can get it. But it's a distinctive look that other tailors are not going to be able to recreate easily. Likely result would be spending $2-3k to get a jacket that's fine, but not like the TF one. Worst case scenario, the attempt goes horribly wrong and results in something unwearable.

I have no real particular passion for TF. I don't own any of his clothing. But jeffreyd did a writeup on a TF suit that was interesting:

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/2010/10/tom-ford.html

biged781

Reaction score
Its actually going to be closer to 5k lol. But take note that if you go the bespoke route and don't already have a relationship with a tailor you might not be getting "exactly what you want" either. Many i times i had an idea in my head and the resulting custom work was not exactly what i pictured. The benefits of OTR is that you can actually see the product and decide weather you want to buy it or not, the downside is that Bespoke from 3k upwards will usually result in a much better fit but for some like myself its only a marginally better fit. I was lucky in that i was extremely happy with my bespoke from steed but my NSM although beautiful pieces of work are not exactly what i had in mind, which is why i go back and forth between OTR and bespoke.

I use Romeo in La Jolla CA. A superb tailor. Jackets for 3k, suit for 3.5. I realize that price isn't true across the board though, I am really only speaking of circumstances wherein the price of an OTR piece is relatively the same as a bespoke piece would be.

If you're not getting exactly what you want from your tailor then either A) your expectations were unreasonable, B) your tailor is not as talented as you had hoped, or C) there was a communication problem on one side or both.

Of course, if you can find something OTR that fits you damn near perfectly (and then perfectly with minor alterations), go for it.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I use Romeo in La Jolla CA.  A superb tailor.  Jackets for 3k, suit for 3.5.  I realize that price isn't true across the board though, I am really only speaking of circumstances wherein the price of an OTR piece is relatively the same as a bespoke piece would be.  

If you're not getting exactly what you want from your tailor then either A) your expectations were unreasonable, B) your tailor is not as talented as you had hoped, or C) there was a communication problem on one side or both.

Of course, if you can find something OTR that fits you damn near perfectly (and then perfectly with minor alterations), go for it.

There you go. Now I'm sure we can both agree that if we are able to find the same for under $1000 like 38R is suggesting we wouldn't bother with the 3k+ bespoke or the high end OTR stuff. My issue with NSM wasn't that their work was subpar or their fit was off its just the whole look doesn't do it for me. If i had been able to try on a RTW garment and seen how the whole thing looked together i probably would not have gone through with it. This is partially my fault as i saw how they looked on some posters here but that particular look just didn't do it for me.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, i like traditional cuts. and my tailor is old. so, good match? i think so.
nod[1].gif

i like a fit on the shoulders, and a nice drape . with not too slim notched lapels. and a 3 button s/b.
flannel. pinstripe or p.o.w. dual vented. fully lined. with a total of 5 pockets. fitted at the waist.
for the money? yes.
i can supply fabric (150's) and ivory buttons.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
(deer antler).
and i am certain the suit will meet requirements.
no problems getting a tailor to make my next suit.i have a choice of 2,of course this will not be overnight. but i can wait.
stirpot.gif

everybody is different, get what you want. for the price you are prepared to pay. any tailor worth their salt will be able to do it.
and only a tailor could tell the quality level, remember. we dress for self confidence,not to have a contest with others. to 95% of people you meet, if you are seen as "impeccably dressed". how much it cost means little. you look Damn good!!!!! enjoy.

wardlem

Reaction score
i just picked up a couple of TF suits this week - both are "plain" blue and black - the only slightly "non-plain" thing about them is the slightly larger peak lapels I would say.

biged781

Reaction score
There you go. Now I'm sure we can both agree that if we are able to find the same for under $1000 like 38R is suggesting we wouldn't bother with the 3k+ bespoke or the high end OTR stuff. My issue with NSM wasn't that their work was subpar or their fit was off its just the whole look doesn't do it for me. If i had been able to try on a RTW garment and seen how the whole thing looked together i probably would not have gone through with it. This is partially my fault as i saw how they looked on some posters here but that particular look just didn't do it for me.

Oh yeah, of course. Again, I only said that I don't understand paying X dollars for an OTR suit when you can have something made for the same price. That assumes X is within a certain range.

Xenon

Reaction score

yeah, i like traditional cuts. and my tailor is old. so, good match? i think so.
nod%5B1%5D.gif

i like a fit on the shoulders, and a nice drape . with not too slim notched lapels. and a 3 button s/b.
flannel. pinstripe or p.o.w.  dual vented.  fully lined. with a total of 5 pockets. fitted at the waist.
for the money? yes. 
i can supply fabric (150's) and ivory buttons. 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
(deer antler).   
and i am certain the suit will meet requirements.
no problems getting a tailor to make my next suit.i  have a choice of 2,of course this will not be overnight. but i can wait.:stirpot:

everybody is different, get what you want. for the price you are prepared to pay. any tailor worth their salt will be able to do it.
and only a tailor could tell the quality level, remember. we dress for self confidence,not to have a contest with others. to 95% of people you meet, if you are seen as "impeccably dressed".  how much it cost means little. you look Damn good!!!!!  enjoy.

Just expanding on this. If you are going for Dormeuil's 150's I assume this is their 15.8. The cloth alone is roughly 600. Perhaps another $100 for the real silk lining. 15.8 is light weight cloth and most tailors will want to use some fusing. If you really specify no fusing what so ever (except perhaps at the lapel tips) than that will require a skilled tailor to do and $700 for this seems very very low.

In any regards all in cost for you seems closer to $1500, maybe more. At this price a quality suit is doable using hongkong/china labour but you really have to know who to choose. Far more chances that the suit will be OK but nowhere near great.

Last edited:

Xenon

Reaction score

I use Romeo in La Jolla CA.  A superb tailor.  Jackets for 3k, suit for 3.5.  I realize that price isn't true across the board though, I am really only speaking of circumstances wherein the price of an OTR piece is relatively the same as a bespoke piece would be.  

This sounds very reasonable

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Didn't want to start a new thread about this, but I found a TF suit that has 2% elastine. Looks like they're getting into travel fabrics.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Purple: Tom Ford 2013
Charcoal: Charlie Chaplin 1915 (colourised)

I think this demonstrates that everything Tom Ford makes is timeless (with a tolerance of 100 years).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads