• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a mentor and what has it done for you?

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
I am curious to find out who this woman is that you are referring to. Btw, you might not be comfortable playing but you seem to be pretty good at it regardless
smile.gif

This analyst who is doing some stuff for me now, actually a very sharp girl. I don't think you know her. Her next task will be dealing with Livestock. We will see how that one goes hahaha.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
It'd be a great help if you're willing to talk.
willing, but having no idea what you do or what your problem is, no idea if I would be useful.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've actually just introduced a Mentor scheme at my university. Its mostly peer based, with Masters students tutoring Undergrads, and third year's mentoring first and second years.

So far its working well, a majority of the students like being involved and I reckon its going to be valuable.

The key thing for me (in the academic setting at least) is having mentors from outside the normal environment. Teachers and professors tend to approach my subject (advertising and Comms) in a very academic way with less regard for the real world. By having other students and local businessmen to turn to the students have a more useful source of information and advice.

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to have had two main mentors in my life so far. Neither of the guys concerned were family related. They have both helped me in different ways in terms of finance and business education and wisdom.

I also have the priviledge of access to some of my older friends with respect to social politics.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Realtalk here: a few years ago, I was in a bad place emotionally and mentally, and needed some reassurance. Out of the blue, edmorel PMd me and offered to give me a hand. I figured he'd send along some words of wisdom now and then, but what ensued was a year of selfless sacrifice on his part.

He would fly out to Ohio every couple of weeks to do a rigorous evaluation of my progress. For example: at the time I was having problems with women. Couldn't really talk to one without making an ass of myself. So ed would stand in for me on the dates, show me how a man treats a woman (hint: lots of swearing and belittling put-downs!). We would take the girls back to my apartment and he would make love to them while I took notes. His sexual technique was flawless, and I still consult the diagrams I drew on a regular basis.

He also helped me with schoolwork by hiring a few Chinese exchange students to do all of my homework. I went from a 2.3 to a 4.0 in one semester.

Ed is just one hell of a guy and I am glad he got me on the right track. I finally feel like a man.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
willing, but having no idea what you do or what your problem is, no idea if I would be useful.
This is why I
inlove.gif
you, buddy.
Originally Posted by Connemara
Ed is just one hell of a guy and I am glad he got me on the right track. I finally feel like a man.
Edmorel, that man can do the impossible.

ektaylor

Reaction score
I've come close, but I'm not in one place long enough to adopt one. If I stuck around academia it would have inevitably happened.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
80s musical artist Jobriath was instrumental in my development as a musician before he dies of AIDS with close friends at his bedside.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads