• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Shirt, Sneakers, and Slacks - What do you guys think?

PORCAMOSRL

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys! Hamish here - I was curious what you guys thought about this look.

At IsuiT - we try to cover trends which are emerging in Italy - and I recently went to a party which was a casual formal affair, and instead of suits or shirts, everyone was wearing a polo shirt, dress pants/slacks and a pair of sneakers (normally navy or black pants, white polo, white sneakers, with some variance)

I'm really interested what you guys think of this look, whether it has a place - and if you've ever tried this look at for yourselves.

Here is my article about Slacks and Sneakers with a Polo Shirt - Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't believe I have ever worn slacks with sneakers. But I am sure it can look ok with a polo shirt.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say a couple things. One, I'm not a big fan of 'articles' with a lot of links to buy things. To me that loses credibility. It's a marketing gimmick - especially the way your 'article' is presented. If it gets you sales, then from a business standpoint, you've met the goal of the page. But If I'm looking at articles about style, that many <add to cart> buttons is a red flag to me.

Now, on to the concept. I will take you at your word that this trend is 'taking over Italy'. It's not taking over where I live in the United States. The only people I know who wear a polo with slacks and sneakers are people who work in manufacturing / distribution plants and they're on the mgt team. The slacks/shirt are dress code and the sneakers a nod to spending all day standing and walking on a concrete plant floor - dress shoes aren't as practical. Those people are also buying $30 polos and $80 sneakers.

There are, of course, millions of Americans wearing polos with shorts and sneakers. Or polos with jeans and sneakers But those who wear polos with slacks tend to still wear non-sneakers. I just don't see the combination you're portraying here. Just my opinion but sneakers are fully leisure. They look out of place with dress slacks.

Don't get me wrong - i'm not arguing the polo/shorts/sneakers look is good - just trying to describe different markets here and how they dress. So, I don't see any of the markets I'm aware of here being interested in that combination. But, Italy - or plenty of other countries may be very different.

jack webb

Reaction score
Hey guys! Hamish here - I was curious what you guys thought about this look.

At IsuiT - we try to cover trends which are emerging in Italy - and I recently went to a party which was a casual formal affair, and instead of suits or shirts, everyone was wearing a polo shirt, dress pants/slacks and a pair of sneakers (normally navy or black pants, white polo, white sneakers, with some variance)

I'm really interested what you guys think of this look, whether it has a place - and if you've ever tried this look at for yourselves.

Here is my article about Slacks and Sneakers with a Polo Shirt - Let me know what you think!
It would've been nice to see a few photographs of someone so attired to better assess what you have in mind, but to me it sounds like a discordant ensemble: dressy pants, casual footwear, and a shirt that's someplace in between.

PORCAMOSRL

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It would've been nice to see a few photographs of someone so attired to better assess what you have in mind, but to me it sounds like a discordant ensemble: dressy pants, casual footwear, and a shirt that's someplace in between.

Agreed - I will include some photos, that's a great idea. Thanks!

It's not a look I'd personally wear, but when I see something all over the place in one of the most fashionable places in the world, I feel like reporting on it is always a good idea!

PORCAMOSRL

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I will say a couple things. One, I'm not a big fan of 'articles' with a lot of links to buy things. To me that loses credibility. It's a marketing gimmick - especially the way your 'article' is presented. If it gets you sales, then from a business standpoint, you've met the goal of the page. But If I'm looking at articles about style, that many <add to cart> buttons is a red flag to me.

Now, on to the concept. I will take you at your word that this trend is 'taking over Italy'. It's not taking over where I live in the United States. The only people I know who wear a polo with slacks and sneakers are people who work in manufacturing / distribution plants and they're on the mgt team. The slacks/shirt are dress code and the sneakers a nod to spending all day standing and walking on a concrete plant floor - dress shoes aren't as practical. Those people are also buying $30 polos and $80 sneakers.

There are, of course, millions of Americans wearing polos with shorts and sneakers. Or polos with jeans and sneakers But those who wear polos with slacks tend to still wear non-sneakers. I just don't see the combination you're portraying here. Just my opinion but sneakers are fully leisure. They look out of place with dress slacks.

Don't get me wrong - i'm not arguing the polo/shorts/sneakers look is good - just trying to describe different markets here and how they dress. So, I don't see any of the markets I'm aware of here being interested in that combination. But, Italy - or plenty of other countries may be very different.

I like the combination for semi-formal events, like birthdays etc. I don't really wear slacks or dress pants as I haven't got any nice ones except the Sartorio Napoli ones that came with my (beautiful) suit - But if I did I would probably still wear a shirt and dress shoes because I like that look, and the suit I have is really versatile.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With my new job (software sales) and the crazy heat of this summer I wear white/off white sneakers (vekla/sweyd), slacks (Incotex) and diferent monocolor polos everyday if I do not have to visit clients. In my office the young developers tell me I dress very smart and elegant, like a golf player. Of course they wear all kind of sneakers, shorts ant T shirts. My large dress shoe collection remains in peace and plain colour sneakers are poping up around the house. Sometimes I play with non leather casual belts.
Edit1. Slacks=chinos
Edit2. I am 53. What the heck!

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It"s still too hot and humid here (35° up to 39°C). I need to take three showers a day. I even wear Orlear Brown blue linen polos (beach polos). Valencia city weather is becoming like Rio de Janeiro's nowadays. I am not feeling comfortable by any means (just under a cold shower). Hope to wear my shoes and long sleeves shirts in october.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose comfort could be an argument, but in my case, my shoes are never “uncomfortable”.

Yeah I get it. But I just reject the notion that even comfortable “dress” shoes or loafers can hold a candle to the comfort of sneakers. It’s just not possible.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I think it's because it's an American term, but I've never been exactly sure what "slacks" are. Are chinos slacks? Or are suit trousers (sans the matching jacket) slacks? Or is it something in the middle?

Because I could see what you are talking about here working if you mean chinos. Polo, chinos, sneakers would be fine, right? But not really if you mean tailored, odd trousers.

Also I get a bit confused when Americans speak about "dress" clothes, because to you guys it often just seems to mean "smart", whereas here (UK) it's usually a term that's reserved for describing clothing that is worn in the most formal situations - specifically derived from "dress uniform" worn in the military for parades, ceremonies etc. So basically black tie and upwards when it comes to civvy attire. We don't call smart office attire "dress", and definitely not smart casual (tailored wool/flannel trousers for example).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads