• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you guys ever pack a lunch to work? Any good lunch ideas?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like if you are eating breakfast at work, you are eating breakfast too late. Are you then going to go eat lunch 3 hours later? Seems compressed.

Making too much food and saving it is the best. Just increase the recipe and save an extra portion or two. If you don't want to just eat exactly the same thing you had for dinner, you can do things like roast a chicken for dinner and then shred the leftovers and make burritos for work (freeze them wrapped in foil). You can also make big batches of hearty soups and stews and freeze them to bring to work.

I am too lazy to make food before I leave, so if I have to make a lunch (instead of just grab leftovers), it is not going to happen. Instead, I will buy bread/lunchmeat/greens/cheese and keep it in one of the fridges we have in the office along with some mayo/mustard. It's not an option for everyone, but it works for me when I get tired of the nearby lunch places.

The only real food store that is a short walk from my office is Target, so I end up with the hillshire farms (or target brand) deli meat. It's not bad, and it comes in little tupperware containers that are great for freezing single servings of soup....need to go make some soup soon...anyone have any good soup recipes?

MRMan

Reaction score
I found that when packing my own lunch, there was little motivation to make it interesting. I would basically just grab whatever I could find and throw it in.

Since being married though, my wife and I alternate who makes both lunches for the following day. Since then, lunches have been infinitesimally better. I'd hate to pack her something plain, unhealthy, or boring, and she'd hate to do that for me, so we're both motivated to be a little creative. Of course this only works if you actually like each other.

tahonng

Reaction score
I eat the same thing pretty much every day at work. There's a place in NYC I used to eat at a lot for lunch called The Pump, and they put a cookbook out. I make week's worth of one of the chicken recipes, pair it with the tomato, onion and pepper ragu and eat it with brown rice. This plus some leafy greens and sprouts is my lunch. I think it's pretty healthy, and I haven't gotten tired of it yet.

I wish I could make my dinners ahead of time as well, as me and the missus don't eat as well when we have to eat out for dinner.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Indians at work brink their big ass curry dinner from the night before and stink up the floor around 12:05. It discourages others including mynzelf.

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score
I always bring food to work.

For breakfast:
  • half a bagel with neufchatel cheese and sometimes lox (smoked salmon)
  • greek yogurt (preferably Fage) with honey
  • either a fresh fruit or more commonly a fruit cup (what can i say, pre-packed is easier)

For lunch:
  • small sandwich of either deli-sliced chicken or turkey, plus tomato, lettuce, onion. i have a few varieties of mustard to keep things interesting.
  • mixed nuts and dried cranberries
  • a small home-made baked good (for example, a low-fat banana bread made by the wifey)
  • banana

Aside from the baked good, it takes less than 10 minutes a day to assemble all this stuff, and it's all quite healthy. It also saves a small fortune.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I always bring food to work.

For breakfast:
  • half a bagel with neufchatel cheese and sometimes lox (smoked salmon)
  • greek yogurt (preferably Fage) with honey
  • either a fresh fruit or more commonly a fruit cup (what can i say, pre-packed is easier)

For lunch:
  • small sandwich of either deli-sliced chicken or turkey, plus tomato, lettuce, onion. i have a few varieties of mustard to keep things interesting.
  • mixed nuts and dried cranberries
  • a small home-made baked good (for example, a low-fat banana bread made by the wifey)
  • banana

Aside from the baked good, it takes less than 10 minutes a day to assemble all this stuff, and it's all quite healthy. It also saves a small fortune.

I have found this post to be lacking in parenthetical statements (could also use a few more lists).

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Indians at work brink their big ass curry dinner from the night before and stink up the floor around 12:05. It discourages others including mynzelf.

I am 80% certain my food stinks up my office. It's damn good though and something to look forward to. I feel sorry for the people with the microwave meals and uninspired sandwiches.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads