• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you consider yourself "stylish"

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
OP failed to kick off the discussion by answering his own question.

I think that I, like many of you, have been caught up with less important issues like quality, and forgot that the main purpose of buying hot **** is to make you look good. While I don't dress like many here, I have seen the swagger/dollar ratio go down in my wardrobe. In other words, I don't think I'm getting enough swagger per dollar spent buying SF type ****. So while I consider myself reasonably stylish, I'm looking into incorporating more non SF style pieces that actually tries to not to look like the **** 90% of people wear.

It seems to me that subtlety is over rated. People in the board need more balls in their outfits. I've also began thinking, if somebody needs to be in SF to appreciate your outfit, you are doing it wrong.

But do I really think I'm stylish? Yes. Are there many improvements that I should make? Yes.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
*goes looking for novelty-sized balls to tuck into pants*

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
It seems to me that subtlety is over rated. People in the board need more balls in their outfits. I've also began thinking, if somebody needs to be in SF to appreciate your outfit, you are doing it wrong.

This is my opinion on the matter.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
You a good example I suppose. You've honed a "style" that most would agree isn't exactly "fashionable" but you wear it well with select pieces, appropriately sized ... Of course, I've only seen one or two of your WAYWT pics....

Thanks
biggrin.gif

I'll post more soon, I promise!

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano

Subtlety as a means to an end of looking stylish, yes. But for me, it's the end itself. I'm a quiet, down to earth person. Swagger just doesn't work on me. Since joining SF, I've discovered that I don't want to stick out, I don't want to appear inaccessible. I just don't want to look bad. Ironically, since joining SF, I've found that my personality precludes looking stylish.

jwagner15

Reaction score
I felt stylish until posting on WAYWt, haha. I think it is about being comfortable in how others see you. For me clothes aren't my life, just another aspect of my personality. I want my clothes to fit me as a person, and reflect how I live. For me that means trying to dress better than the masses, but still not like the major fashionistas.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand how you ever considered yourself stylish or even moderately well dressed judging by your waywt pics. Just some reality, man. Sorry. Also, where is this massive fashionista conspiracy? I hear people say stuff like that (not just on the board but in real life) and i don't really understand it.
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Get with the next trend: Naval Battles on velvet
wink.gif

I don't know what the **** this is but i think i'm on board

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I honestly don't understand how you ever considered yourself stylish or even moderately well dressed judging by your waywt pics. Just some reality, man. Sorry.

Also, where is this massive fashionista conspiracy? I hear people say stuff like that (not just on the board but in real life) and i don't really understand it.

justification for looking like ****

jwagner15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I honestly don't understand how you ever considered yourself stylish or even moderately well dressed judging by your waywt pics. Just some reality, man. Sorry.

Also, where is this massive fashionista conspiracy? I hear people say stuff like that (not just on the board but in real life) and i don't really understand it.

I don't know what the **** this is but i think i'm on board

Personally, I see the fashionistas as the people who say stuff like 2009 is going to be a big year for silver clothing, and wear just gaudy and awful outfits to be fashionable. You have to be honest with yourself that 99% of the stuff you see on a runway you would never wear.

Oh, I meant stylish for where I live, which is really easy to do.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwagner15
Personally, I see the fashionistas as the people who say stuff like 2009 is going to be a big year for silver clothing, and wear just gaudy and awful outfits to be fashionable. You have to be honest with yourself that 99% of the stuff you see on a runway you would never wear.

I honestly don't really know what you mean and it seems like this is coming from some strange misguided notion of clothing brands. I mean, if you read Glamour magazine that tries to create trends themselves then, i guess, but still. I think just sticking around the forum, posting a lot less, and just reading **** will make you a lot less uncomfortable about non-gap clothing

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwagner15
you dress like ****, stop acting like a pro, and certainly stop looking down on people who follow fashion as opposed to wearing ugly clothes there's a difference between someone who takes an interest in fashion and yes, even trends, and a "fashion victim" who is completely at the whim of changing trends as opposed to developing any personal style your style isn't bad. you simply have no style at all, and the worst part is, you think you do. that puts trend-followers at least one notch above you, bro.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know some people probably disagree, but yea, I consider myself stylish. I also feel it got more interesting stuff going on than the average tight pants, plimsolls -dude. However, I have no idea how people in general view me though.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know some people probably disagree, but yea, I consider myself stylish. I also feel it got more interesting stuff going on than the average tight pants, plimsolls -dude. However, I have no idea how people in general view me though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads