• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I make bad career choices?

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
Okay, briefly, over the past year, I was faced with the following 4 options. I'm speaking in broad terms to protect the innocent (i.e. me). For reference, I'm a senior due to graduate in about 2 months.

a) Finance. Hedge fund and PE offers. Hedge fund was a-side, PE was b-side (not Blackstone or equivalent). Sweet salary (120-range after bonus), sweet hours for finance (maybe 60/week). Eventually go to business school then return to buy-side.

b) Law. Top-tier school (YHS). Long-term plan is IP biglaw (Fish & Richardson or equivalent), although I really can't say because it's competitive.

c) Technology. Engineering/program management. Social network/major OS producer. Good salary (low 6 figures), great hours (40/week). Long-range plan would be to rise in the ranks, probably eventually join a start-up (or start one).

d) Academia. Scientific graduate school. Probably can't get into a tippity-top program: maybe top-10, but not top 2 or 3. PhD paid for, become a professor, or if not, get a relatively highly-paid job in the private sector. (It's one of very few disciplines where you can do that).

I probably sound like a dickhead for airing all this, because I'm pretty proud of the opportunities that I managed to corral. And it probably sounds implausible that somebody would try to have a thumb in so many pies, but it's all true. However, in what I have been told ex post is one of the stupidest career decisions ever, I opted for b. What would you have done?

You don't sound like a dickhead, but you do seem like you're looking for some kind of pat on the back or congratulations, which may be more worthwhile coming either from your folks or better still, yourself.

There's no good or bad career choices, and I'm not trying to be overly zen here. Pursue what you find interesting and are most passionate about and the rest will fall into place. Don't worry too much about money, particularly in the beginning, since it can end up hurting you in the long term. The surest way I can think of to be miserable, is to pursue something (particularly a profession requiring a great investment of time or money) because of its prestige or because its what someone else wants you to do. If among all your options, you find law most interesting, you should be fine, and there's still no reason you can't change your mind down the road either. HTH

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the OP's post was an effort to make a BTP (Big Time Post) than I applaud him. If, however, it was serious than it has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read. Grow up, wiener.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
If the OP's post was an effort to make a BTP (Big Time Post) than I applaud him. If, however, it was serious than it has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read. Grow up, wiener.

When even Magician tells you you're too far up your own ass, you know it's time to take a step back.

sd407

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eml4sker
I choose A and am very happy with the decision. Almost everyone I know who works in law is miserable. Several people I know in law are trying to get into P/E. School is overrated. (Both b-school and law). What is a-side?
good decision regardless! hf is the best route in my belief, b/c i love investin!

mfrege

Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
d) Academia. Scientific graduate school. Probably can't get into a tippity-top program: maybe top-10, but not top 2 or 3. PhD paid for, become a professor, or if not, get a relatively highly-paid job in the private sector. (It's one of very few disciplines where you can do that).

I love undergrads who are already planning out their virtual lives in grad school and post grad school. Before you start thinking of a carrer as a professor (and it's very likely you would become just a sessional instructor) worry about the masters first or if it's direct to PhD, just know that it is not uncommon for over 50% of grad students at the masters or PhD to drop out. My grad program had 35% dropout in first year and another 50% of the remaining students drop out in the 2nd. This is not uncommon for alot of grad programs N. America wide.

By the way, are you in Canada?

divitius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfrege
I love undergrads who are already planning out their virtual lives in grad school and post grad school. Before you start thinking of a carrer as a professor (and it's very likely you would become just a sessional instructor) worry about the masters first or if it's direct to PhD, just know that it is not uncommon for over 50% of grad students at the masters or PhD to drop out. My grad program had 35% dropout in first year and another 50% of the remaining students drop out in the 2nd. This is not uncommon for alot of grad programs N. America wide.
+6.022137x10^23. Of the 4 first year grad students in my postdoc lab when I started, within 8 months one quit, one got fired for laziness and one was expelled for cheating. Another got expelled two weeks ago.

austinite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by krnxbab0
OP, I was just curious as to what major you were in undergrad.

If not a troll I think EE or possibly CS are the only majors that could result in those choices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads