1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do I make bad career choices?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by godofcoffee, Mar 24, 2011.

1. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

I would say the following...

For option A:
    Take something that doesn't require you to go back to B-school. I would put good buy side hedge fund above PE. I just don't see the need for MBA in general.

For option B:
    Are you really interested in it? What's your engineering degree, EE/CS I assume? Honestly I can't comment on how this route will go. All my friends who went to IP were Ph.D. guys, it's probably a good thing you skip that all together

For option C:
    If you're going to stay in tech., do hardcore tech., not some Business Analyst, you would need some real hands on dirty experience to work for start up. Of course there might be different roles, but either way you would need some hardcore engineering knowledge. I am sure you have excellent intuition in engineering, but until you get to some point, that alone might not be enough.

For option D:
    Ph. D. in what, most engineer get out Ph. D. program to enter industry. If it's science, I think the #1 employee for physicst is probably wall street. Professor is going to be the toughest among all of these options and if nothing works out you will go back to A, B or C anyway.

For the record I start out as a phd student (had choice between top tier programs), left after master, went to work in finance, large bank, not buy side, now end up in London...

I was a bit distressed by other things at the time as well, otherwise I probably would have stayed in engineering and worked in silicon valley and burned my way through start up as well.

2. scientific

scientific Well-Known Member

i could give you some more insight on A if you ping me ... wait a sec what the?? you're a CS grad who's going to law school to do IP law??? [​IMG]

3. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Well-Known Member

SO many of these threads are just grandstanding.....

4. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with the other subforums here? [​IMG]

5. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the word you're looking for is "hotdogging".

And yes, hotdogging is the raison d'etre of StyleForvm.

6. JoelF

JoelF Well-Known Member

i could give you some more insight on A if you ping me ... wait a sec what the?? you're a CS grad who's going to law school to do IP law??? [​IMG]

Ummm what's wrong with that?

7. ambien walrus

ambien walrus Member

Cutting, valid and funny is not a valid license.

Probably because OP has basically no career ambitions, other than to be successful at something.

I have a Jewish mother. I understand.

8. gungadin25

gungadin25 Well-Known Member

The problem with option b is you won't know if you actually want to be a lawyer until you invest 100K+ in law school. I've known many big law attorneys who have regretted making that decision. I like a and c given the low barriers to entry. You could always fall back on law, plus at that point, you'd probably have enough cash so you wouldn't have to take out loans.

9. scientific

scientific Well-Known Member

Ummm what's wrong with that?
    i was envisioning the progression from value creating to value destroying to super value destroying and i mourned for the future

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Probably because OP has basically no career ambitions, other than to be successful at something.

I have a Jewish mother. I understand.

It was a joke, I don't see why this Jewish stereotype of basically allowing your children 3-4 careers choices, none of them being anything more than placeholders for conventional status+money, would be actually true. I'm just saddened that someone would be so devoid of personality and passion to basically want to do anything in his 40+hrs he'll spend at his job as long as it gets him a lot of money and his parents like it. If you're that empty in your early 20s by the time you're 30 you'll be part of the walking dead. It's not like the choice is between this and starving, at least for the OP. Even if I think it is pure wankery I prefer the dudes who are all gung ho and super geekily into trading, I'm sure they have a certain motivation that is infectious.

11. superego

superego Well-Known Member

Okay, briefly, over the past year, I was faced with the following 4 options. I'm speaking in broad terms to protect the innocent (i.e. me). For reference, I'm a senior due to graduate in about 2 months.

a) Finance. Hedge fund and PE offers. Hedge fund was a-side, PE was b-side (not Blackstone or equivalent). Sweet salary (120-range after bonus), sweet hours for finance (maybe 60/week). Eventually go to business school then return to buy-side.

b) Law. Top-tier school (YHS). Long-term plan is IP biglaw (Fish & Richardson or equivalent), although I really can't say because it's competitive.

c) Technology. Engineering/program management. Social network/major OS producer. Good salary (low 6 figures), great hours (40/week). Long-range plan would be to rise in the ranks, probably eventually join a start-up (or start one).

d) Academia. Scientific graduate school. Probably can't get into a tippity-top program: maybe top-10, but not top 2 or 3. PhD paid for, become a professor, or if not, get a relatively highly-paid job in the private sector. (It's one of very few disciplines where you can do that).

I probably sound like a dickhead for airing all this, because I'm pretty proud of the opportunities that I managed to corral. And it probably sounds implausible that somebody would try to have a thumb in so many pies, but it's all true. However, in what I have been told ex post is one of the stupidest career decisions ever, I opted for b. What would you have done?

You don't sound like a dickhead, but you do seem like you're looking for some kind of pat on the back or congratulations, which may be more worthwhile coming either from your folks or better still, yourself.

There's no good or bad career choices, and I'm not trying to be overly zen here. Pursue what you find interesting and are most passionate about and the rest will fall into place. Don't worry too much about money, particularly in the beginning, since it can end up hurting you in the long term. The surest way I can think of to be miserable, is to pursue something (particularly a profession requiring a great investment of time or money) because of its prestige or because its what someone else wants you to do. If among all your options, you find law most interesting, you should be fine, and there's still no reason you can't change your mind down the road either. HTH

12. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

If the OP's post was an effort to make a BTP (Big Time Post) than I applaud him. If, however, it was serious than it has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read. Grow up, wiener.

13. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

If the OP's post was an effort to make a BTP (Big Time Post) than I applaud him. If, however, it was serious than it has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read. Grow up, wiener.

When even Magician tells you you're too far up your own ass, you know it's time to take a step back.

14. sd407

sd407 New Member

I choose A and am very happy with the decision. Almost everyone I know who works in law is miserable. Several people I know in law are trying to get into P/E. School is overrated. (Both b-school and law). What is a-side?
    good decision regardless! hf is the best route in my belief, b/c i love investin!

15. mfrege

mfrege Well-Known Member

d) Academia. Scientific graduate school. Probably can't get into a tippity-top program: maybe top-10, but not top 2 or 3. PhD paid for, become a professor, or if not, get a relatively highly-paid job in the private sector. (It's one of very few disciplines where you can do that).

I love undergrads who are already planning out their virtual lives in grad school and post grad school. Before you start thinking of a carrer as a professor (and it's very likely you would become just a sessional instructor) worry about the masters first or if it's direct to PhD, just know that it is not uncommon for over 50% of grad students at the masters or PhD to drop out. My grad program had 35% dropout in first year and another 50% of the remaining students drop out in the 2nd. This is not uncommon for alot of grad programs N. America wide.

By the way, are you in Canada?

16. divitius

divitius Well-Known Member

I love undergrads who are already planning out their virtual lives in grad school and post grad school. Before you start thinking of a carrer as a professor (and it's very likely you would become just a sessional instructor) worry about the masters first or if it's direct to PhD, just know that it is not uncommon for over 50% of grad students at the masters or PhD to drop out. My grad program had 35% dropout in first year and another 50% of the remaining students drop out in the 2nd. This is not uncommon for alot of grad programs N. America wide.
    +6.022137x10^23. Of the 4 first year grad students in my postdoc lab when I started, within 8 months one quit, one got fired for laziness and one was expelled for cheating. Another got expelled two weeks ago.

17. krnxbab0

krnxbab0 Well-Known Member

OP, I was just curious as to what major you were in undergrad.

18. austinite

austinite Well-Known Member

OP, I was just curious as to what major you were in undergrad.

If not a troll I think EE or possibly CS are the only majors that could result in those choices.