• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do canadians live with their parents well after college?

PARTY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I'd ******* kill myself if I still ived with my parents. I went away to college when I was 18, and while I like coming home to visit, I just can't stand having to eat whatever dinner is at 6:30pm every night and having my dad come knock on my door to say "Hi" four times a day. By the time you're 30, you should have a job and enough money to live on your own. Hell, by the time you're 22 (unless you're in grad school).
Not even grad school, though. If you're truly taking advantage of the American business world, you should be able to land a job that will pay for your schooling while you work. No excuses.

micbain

Reaction score
I'd ******* kill myself if I still ived with my parents. I went away to college when I was 18, and while I like coming home to visit, I just can't stand having to eat whatever dinner is at 6:30pm every night and having my dad come knock on my door to say "Hi" four times a day.

By the time you're 30, you should have a job and enough money to live on your own. Hell, by the time you're 22 (unless you're in grad school).

Cost of living my friend. Buying a place takes a lot of loot now considering how low paying the jobs are in Vancouver. Seriously, its sad. Average houshold income = $60k, Average home cost = $800k.

The average houshold now spends 70% of its pretax income to maintain a mortgage when in fact the ideal amount should be 35%. Vancouver is routinely in the top 10 least affordable cities when comparing income to housing and I would say factoring in cost of everything else (food, clothing, etc) compared to the US, its even more expensive.

I did a quick MLS search in vancouver for detached homes and here are the hits.

Here's what $500k buys
- Nothing

Here's what $600k buys
- Nothing

Here's what $700k buys
http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=7387378

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PARTY
Not even grad school, though. If you're truly taking advantage of the American business world, you should be able to land a job that will pay for your schooling while you work. No excuses.
That's one thing I don't buy into. When you're a student, your sole focus should be on schoolwork, in my opinion. To the above poster: There is something called RENTING.

micbain

Reaction score
That's one thing I don't buy into. When you're a student, your sole focus should be on schoolwork, in my opinion.

To the above poster: There is something called RENTING.

Ha! $2k a month for some 500 sq ft condo - just so you can say you live in coal harbour or yale town. **** that man. I needs a house.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
Ha! $2k a month for some 500 sq ft condo - just so you can say you live in coal harbour or yale town. **** that man. I needs a house.

Meh, I'd rather have a really nice, small apartment in a nice area of town than some average house in the boonies.

micbain

Reaction score
Meh, I'd rather have a really nice, small apartment in a nice area of town than some average house in the boonies.

Who says anything about the boonies? Kits, Point Grey, South Grandville, Kerisdale all used be affordable 5 yrs ago. All nice neighborhoods, all in close proximity to downtown and beaches. Maybe my problem is I'm still living in the past. 5 years ago, you could buy a lot in Point Grey for $450k - now that same lot is fetching $1.2m and upwards!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
Cost of living my friend. Buying a place takes a lot of loot now considering how low paying the jobs are in Vancouver. Seriously, its sad. Average houshold income = $60k, Average home cost = $800k.

The average houshold now spends 70% of its pretax income to maintain a mortgage when in fact the ideal amount should be 35%. Vancouver is routinely in the top 10 least affordable cities when comparing income to housing and I would say factoring in cost of everything else (food, clothing, etc) compared to the US, its even more expensive.

I did a quick MLS search in vancouver for detached homes and here are the hits.

Here's what $500k buys
- Nothing

Here's what $600k buys
- Nothing

Here's what $700k buys
http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=7387378

Holy crap. That sucks.

salmon, you're a finance guy, right? Ya, you can get by and have a place to live if you rent, but it's a lot harder to build any real wealth if you never own your home. Now if i had just finished school in vancouver and home prices were really that bad, i'd probably move somewhere else, but i can understand why someone would stay in their parents' place for a couple years if it wasn't uncomfortable. Of course, if i were doing that, i'd save every penny for a down-payment.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Holy crap. That sucks. salmon, you're a finance guy, right? Ya, you can get by and have a place to live if you rent, but it's a lot harder to build any real wealth if you never own your home. Now if i had just finished school in vancouver and home prices were really that bad, i'd probably move somewhere else, but i can understand why someone would stay in their parents' place for a couple years if it wasn't uncomfortable. Of course, if i were doing that, i'd save every penny for a down-payment.
I'm all for owning (don't think I'd ever lease a car, for example), but I'd much rather rent and not live with my parents than live with my parents. Hopefully my income will outpace my rent enough that I can buy something by the time I'm 30.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Living with your parents into your twienties is pretty pathetic, I dont care where you're located.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
It depends on cultural background (as other have said), geography, and how one gets on with one's folks. My parents pulled up stakes and left town after they retired, so I was forced to find some roomies and rent an apartment during my undergrad. Not a big deal, and I learned how to budget pretty damned quickly. Still, if my parents had stayed in town, I would have stayed home and saved up the extra money. By that time I was doing my own thing, anyhow.

However, after graduating I would have left home - no questions asked.

Mustapha

Reaction score
It's a slippery slope - living with your parents in your late 20s/30s. Next thing you know you are 40 and waiting for them to die so you can inherit the house.
smile.gif

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Wants are not needs. However, people often justify the former by claiming the latter.

Further, I'd be interested to see pricing (including rentals) on NON-detached housing.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Ask and you shall receive...here are some results I pulled for my neighbourhood - I specified condos or houses, semi-detached or row housing, with 2+ bedrooms or 1+ bathrooms. This should give you an idea of how much house you can buy at certain price points in an average neighbourhood.

$189,900 (this is on a busy street): http://orebweb2.oreb.ca/mlssearch/fr...mls_num=695871

$259,900 (this neighbourhood is near an industrial park): http://orebweb2.oreb.ca/mlssearch/fr...mls_num=703248

$349,900: http://orebweb2.oreb.ca/mlssearch/fr...mls_num=700764

$407,000: http://orebweb2.oreb.ca/mlssearch/fr...mls_num=703373

I should note that it *is* possible to buy row housing for less, but the cheaper neighbourhoods are usually, shall we say, a little downmarket (prostitutes, drugs, etc.) - here are some examples:

http://orebweb2.oreb.ca/mlssearch/fr...mls_num=703340

http://orebweb2.oreb.ca/mlssearch/fr...mls_num=697780

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Are they indian or asian? I've got a korean friend making over 100k a year and he lives with his uncle to save on rent. He told me a lot of asians do this. Indian people always live with their parents too, or so it seems. They will do this even after they get married (girl moves in with husband's family).

This is true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads