• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIY Cobbler-ing: Changing Sole Edge Color

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
[/spoiler] Thanks for the info, pros. This is definitely an amateur job, and as I said a professional cobbler would absolutely be able to do it better. I just wanted to experiment, and anyone considering following my example should pay careful attention to what DW and Nick have said. I have some carnuba wax that I use for polishing my pipes. Maybe I'll think about a way to apply some of that for better protection, though I know it won't achieve the same results as DW's process.
I hope you understand that I meant no criticism...just thought you might like to take some of these factors into consideration.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
I hope you understand that I meant no criticism...just thought you might like to take some of these factors into consideration.

Absolutely, and I appreciate the feedback. I'd expect nothing less from a shoemaker or cobbler than to tell me how my method falls short. This ain't a wallpapering project where I'd expect to achieve perfect results just by being careful.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
You did a fairly good job. But you might want to think about several things... First, when leather soles are trimmed and finished a specially shaped cutter followed by a similarly shaped collice is used to make the edge of the sole slightly concave and to create and "freeze" a set of "wires" at the top and bottom edge respectively. If nothing else these wires (it used to be there was an additional "step" or shoulder impressed into the welt) give definition and a clear, professional look to the edge of the sole. Nothing looks more amateurish, IMO, than a rounded sole edge. When the final finish is applied to the sole edge and the heel, a hard, usually carnuba, wax is burnished in, using some heat. The collice is again used around the sole, this time with heat, and another, differently shaped collice is used on the heel stack. This drives the wax into the fibers in a way that simply applying shoe polish cannot. And, in doing so, it simultaneously hardens and seals the leather to prevent water absorption. No other process works quite so well for this purpose.
Just out of curiosity, at about what point would one start to see that level of detail? Is that something that you see just on top end bespoke? EG? Allen Edmonds/Alden? Bass Weejuns? Would a local cobbler do that on a resole? It that something you would expect any shoe to have, or is that one of those details that makes a shoe more expensive?
Originally Posted by Nick V.
When Kennedy was president, maybe....
What would you charge? And what do you think a lower end cobbler not in NYC would charge? Certainly tempted to do this to my florshiems. Walnut calf, and I've never been all that fond of the very dark brown edge.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Just out of curiosity, at about what point would one start to see that level of detail? Is that something that you see just on top end bespoke? EG? Allen Edmonds/Alden? Bass Weejuns? Would a local cobbler do that on a resole? It that something you would expect any shoe to have, or is that one of those details that makes a shoe more expensive?
There is some movement to eliminate these details (but not the burnishing) among low end manufacturers. But trimming and burnishing have long been perfected as a machine operation. Most every shoe repair shop is mechanically capable...not every repairman feels confidant in his skills to attempt it, however. Some simplification has come about because of that mechanization...such as the elimination of the shoulder (or "jigger step")....but I would expect that most well-regarded RTW will exhibit this type of finishing just as a matter of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads