• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detailed Review of my NYC Shopping Trip

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
That's a lot of trying with no buying. I have a hard time trying stuff on unless I'm pretty sure I'm buying.

Sounds like a shoe saleman
devil.gif

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Sounds like a shoe saleman
devil.gif

You got me there. Sucks to have creased shoes. One person creases them, then the next complains that they're creased and asks for a discount. It's the nature of shoe sales I guess.

I guess I can't fathom spending a whole day trying on stuff without buying anything. I'd be so fustrated that I didn't buy anything after a whole day of shopping, I'd force myself to buy something!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggyosk
thats how it seems to me. definetly in shoes, the madison store has nothing.

You're confused. 346 Madison Ave has an entire room full of shoes, probably 30-40 styles at least.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
You got me there. Sucks to have creased shoes. One person creases them, then the next complains that they're creased and asks for a discount. It's the nature of shoe sales I guess.

I guess I can't fathom spending a whole day trying on stuff without buying anything. I'd be so fustrated that I didn't buy anything after a whole day of shopping, I'd force myself to buy something!

Tom, I understand your point of view, but if the shoe doesn't fit, you wouldn't try to sell it to me, would you?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggyosk
No not this time. Just scouting. I blew most of my money a couple weeks ago. Next time i'll bring lots of dough with me and buy alot!
So you're a 24 year old that went around to the most EXCLUSIVE stores EVAR and everyone remembered you because you bought nothing and like to try things on? That's a FUN TRIP!!! I can't wait to visit other places and just go into stores ALL DAY LONG
tounge.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
You're confused. 346 Madison Ave has an entire room full of shoes, probably 30-40 styles at least.

Yeah, the OP just missed it. The selection at 346 has gotten better in the last two years. Though I don't imagine the idea of Alden #8 at BB sales prices warms the cockles of his heart just yet.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They seem to keep a table or two in the main room, which must be what he saw.

I would never try on so many things, taking so much time of the salespeople, with no intention to buy. But to each their own, I guess.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Yeah, the OP just missed it. The selection at 346 has gotten better in the last two years. Though I don't imagine the idea of Alden #8 at BB sales prices warms the cockles of his heart just yet.

Price is no object for the OP, since he's just looking...
devil.gif

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price is no object for the OP, since he's just looking...
devil.gif

Don't be such a downer. I needed a review on shopping in NY or I would never know that there are expensive diamonds at Tiffany's. But now that everyone know, it's no longer exclusive to try on diamonds there.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
awesome post, always fun to see my favorite destination thru someone else's eyes. Do you recall the prices of sale kiton shirts and ties from the places you visited? prices on sale Brioni suits you saw?

did you manage to leave the turnbull and asser store without buying anything? If so, you're a stronger man than me-- what a cool store!

The Kiton shirts I saw at Barney's were around $300-350. The Brioni Suits I saw there were around $3000. The Kiton Suits at BG were $3500-$4000 with Cashmere Sports Coats around $3000-3500. Saks had some Brioni on sale too I believe but I can't remember the price as I was rushed, probably around $3500

Yeah Turnbull and Asser is great, but I literally only had like $500 in my debit account and nothing really jumped at me enough to spend my $.

ziggyosk

Reaction score

Which level is that on? I missed it

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
So you're a 24 year old that went around to the most EXCLUSIVE stores EVAR and everyone remembered you because you bought nothing and like to try things on? That's a FUN TRIP!!! I can't wait to visit other places and just go into stores ALL DAY LONG
tounge.gif

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or sincere but it was a VERY fun trip! I love it.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I would never try on so many things, taking so much time of the salespeople, with no intention to buy. But to each their own, I guess.

I can see where everyone saying that is coming from, but I do have every intention of buying at those stores, just not that day. I'm collecting all my info so when I'm ready to buy I can make smart decisions on what brands/styles fit me well. I also use trips like that to motivate me to work even harder in my business so that I can afford those things. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads