• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detailed Review of my NYC Shopping Trip

ziggyosk

Reaction score
I knew that alot of the stores in NYC have been having sales lately so I figured it would be a good time to make my every 4 month shopping trip to the city. My friend and I went down on Friday. He had never been to the city and was not familiar with High-end Men's clothes, so he certainly had his eyes opened. I really wasn't planning on getting anything just wanted to scout out the sales at some of the stores so when I get some more money I know what I can expect. I always love going to the city and checking out all my fav spots(Saks, BG, etc) We took the 6:00 am train from Wassaic and got to Grand Central shortly after 8:00 Here's a list of the stores we went to: Paul Stuart - Always like this store. They were having a sale on some stuff like ties, shirts, shoes. But not a big variety. I went upstairs to try on some suits, the sales man pointed me to the Phineas line. They had some nice patterns but I wasn't thrilled with the feel of the wool on most of them, kind of stiff. also the armholes were a little high, but he said they could take them down. Brooks Bros(Madison store) - It's an ok store. Brooks can be a little boring for me, usually the same selection of suits and didn't really have that many. The salesman upstairs was pushy. Hardly any shoes maybe like 10-15 of them. Century 21 - My first time to Century 21 and, well, it's probably my last. I've read alot about it here and I agree with most people that it's quality is not that great. You really have to dig to find good stuff. The selection of nice shirts was very slim. Nice shoes were non-existent. There were some decent tie brands(brioni, talbott) but they must have been the rejects because I looked for quite a while and didn't really find anything that I would consider wearing. There was a couple of nice sports jackets, Brioni and Isaia but nothing good in my size. Suits they had a couple of decent Brionis marked from around $6000 to $3000. Pretty much all of the HF suits were the ltd versions. Overall I was not that impressed. Leffot - We were waiting outside before it opened and the guy let us in 5-10 minutes early. Very nice gentleman who owns the store, very helpful. Tried on some brown EG oxfords on the 888 last, didn't quite fit me in the width. I guess they were 11D and I need 11E. Also tried on the Corthay Cocteau in Green w/black antiquing. They were beautiful and fit like a glove. The G&G's were awesome as well but they didn't have any models in my size. The store doesn't have a huge selection of shoes overall, but the ones they have are very nice and he can order any shoe from the companies he represents. Hickey Freeman(5th ave store next to Brooks Bros) - They had alot of stuff on sale, table full of ties, the whole right side of the store was suits on sale(down from around $1400-1500 to like $900) only the seasonal suits though. I was looking for a Solid Charcoal but that was full retail. The lady that helped us was not very friendly. Brooks Bros(5th ave store) - Nicer than the other Brooks store. Bigger selection overall. They have some nice shoes, nothing over like $500 or so though. The one thing that did stand out to me was a Alligator Suitcase for $15,000. My friend almost choked.
laugh.gif
Kiton - good store, not a huge selection, only like 5 suits in my size. They had alot of shoes compared to last time i was there, lots of beauties. The salesman Rogers was nice and remembered me from last time. He brought me up to the MTM section upstairs and explained Kiton MTM. Turnbull and Asser - Downstairs they had tons of shirts that were in boxes that were on sale. Lots of ties were on sale as well. They have some pretty sweet antique cufflinks(a nice set of Ivory Polar bear ones) I checked out the Shoes on the top level, there were many on sale in the middle of the room but nothing that I liked. I tried on the Weymouth and Belgrave which both fit great, and the saleslady was very helpful, I was talking about this website with her and she is very familiar with it I guess. Her name is Brioni(the one on 57th across from T&A) - Great store. The leather jackets they had are to die for. The ties really stood out to me as well. They had some shoes there a reddish pair of Crocodile Oxfords for about $6000 that was to die for. The suit selection was decent probably 8-10 ones in my size. I tried on a Med Grey one with a light blue stripe. Borrelli - Nice littel store. Nice salesman William. Tried on a 3 button solid charcoal suit. Fit perfectly. Great shirts and ties. Robert Talbott - Great selection of shirts and TONS of ties. Not only do they have many ties laid out matched up with shirts and on tables by themselves, but the guy told us to look in the drawers on the right side of the room when you walk in, there were at least 20 more drawers full of ties. So many gorgeous ones. J.M. Weston - Nice selection. Nothing outstanding, mostly very conservative but elegant shoes. Santoni - Great selection of Limited Ed models. Mostly $2K and over, but they had awesome finishes and great detailing. Didn't get to try any on cause I was pressed for time but I will next time. Ralph Lauren Polo Mansion - The mansion was kind of a disapointment to me. It is a cool store how it is laid out, but as far a suits and shoes goes there didn't seem to be very much variety. The PL suits were all either Black or Navy and all looked the same. The shoes that I saw were mostly all Black as well, very few Brown ones which I was looking forward to seeing the EG's. John Lobb - Might have been my fav store of the day, it usually is. Great selection, with many beautiful finishes on the shoes. I tried on the Phillip II in Black, and the Sutton in Black as well. I wanted to check them out in Chestnut but they didn't have them in my size. They both fit awesomely and if they had Chestnut I would have been very tempted to walk out with them. It would take them 4 months to order. The guy John was very helpful and remembered me from last time. Definetly the most exclusive feel of the stores. Tourneau - I always love going here because of the wide variety of nice watches. I know most of you don't like them, but I really love Breitlings. I'm only 24 so they look good on me and I have big forearms. Tried on a few of them. I also tried on a $105,000 IWC Portuguese Tourbillion w/grey face....It was ridiculous!
tounge.gif
I wish I had more time here we only were there about 15 minutes. Barney's - Alot of shirts and ties on sale downstairs. Brioni, Zenga, Kiton, etc. They have a big shoe section, but not many that I liked. I checked out the Berluti Section which is interesting and is mostly extreme for my tastes, but there were a couple of pairs that were amazing. Upstairs they had a couple of racks of suits that were on sale some Brioni, Isaia, Kiton. There were some really awesome Kiton Sports Jackets. I was disapointed by the selection of Brioni. Bergdorf Goodman - I really liked the Loro Piana section downstairs where all the Coats are. There were many awesome Jackets and sweaters, so many! Some jackets were on sale as well. I love the cufflinks display which is the best in the city that I have seen. They had some shirts on sale but didn't check them out too much. Awesome tie selection. They had some good shoes but the selection was underwhelming. Upstairs they had lots of Zegna and Kiton on sale. Not a great selection of Brioni again, mostly very dark suits with not not alot of variety, maybe 5 different kinds. Saks - My fav store in the city. They are having a big sale. LOTS of nice shirts and Ties 30-50% off(brioni, Zegna, etc) Not a great shoe dept, but better than Barney's and BG in my opinion. They had tons of racks of suits that were on sale didn't get to really look through them too much. Brioni is probably my fav Suit brand and I think they usually have the best selection of Brioni in the City, usually better than the Brioni Store. They had a beautiful blue suit with a red and blue stripe and a crazy red lining. it is one of my fav suits that I have ever seen. I think some of them were on sale but we were running so short on time and were basically getting thrown out of the store I forget. Tiffany & Co. - Not Men's style but what can I say...I like Bling. Their diamonds sparkle like no other. The rings with the "Tiffany Setting" are really great looking and if I ever get married I'll try to get my wife one of those because they are simply stunning. Saw some great colored Diamond rings Yellow, Blue, and Pink one yellow for $2 Mill. Disney - Again not Men's Style but still fun.
smile.gif
I Hadn't eaten since 4:45 in the morning when I had a bowl of oatmeal at my house so by 9pm I was to say the least...famished. What can I say when I'm looking at High-End Clothes there is no time to eat!
smile.gif
We went to the ESPN restaurant, again probably not a favorite spot of posters here but again i'm 24 and my friend is 18 so we needed to have some fun and they have great cheese fries and Bacon Cheeseburgers and a cool arcade. All together 21 Stores. got off the train shortly after midnight and crashed in bed around 1:30. Well worth it and I look forward to my next trip in the fall, maybe with those Lobb's!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

John Ellis

Reaction score
You really got around didn't you. I agree with your comments about Century 21, the only thing worth going for are the ties. I've bought some fantastic seven and nine fold Italian ties there that would retail for north of $200 for $40 to $60. Overall a great list. Barney's always disappoints me. Bergdorf is a fantastic store, much better than RL in my opinion, but it doesn't get much mention here. I'm a PS fan, particularly their accessories like ties and shoes, their only downside is hovering salesmen. It's really bad. They have some nice suits but the cut even of their regular line is fairly forward and I've got suits I bought there maybe 15 years ago that look a bit dated. Anyway great guide.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
awesome post, always fun to see my favorite destination thru someone else's eyes. Do you recall the prices of sale kiton shirts and ties from the places you visited? prices on sale Brioni suits you saw?

Next time you visit (especially if you're with a chick), be sure to check out Dylan's candy Bar and Max Brenner Chocolate for lunch or dinner. even more fun than the disney store
smile.gif

did you manage to leave the turnbull and asser store without buying anything? If so, you're a stronger man than me-- what a cool store!

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EasyGoing
How is it possible that the 5th Ave Brooks has a bigger selection than Madison.

thats how it seems to me. definetly in shoes, the madison store has nothing.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Did you buy anything?

No not this time. Just scouting. I blew most of my money a couple weeks ago. Next time i'll bring lots of dough with me and buy alot!

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of trying with no buying. I have a hard time trying stuff on unless I'm pretty sure I'm buying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads