• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim: dark color or light color

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find light and medium much easier to combine. But the pseudo miners and cowboys will object to anything but raw dark denim. They will also use the word 'dad jeans' in this thread.

mr.rose

Reaction score
True. But define light? When i think of light, i think of almost white. You know the new teenage trend. Come to think of it, with you using the word medium, i would say most of my jeans are medium with a few dark ones.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.rose
True. But define light? When i think of light, i think of almost white. You know the new teenage trend. Come to think of it, with you using the word medium, i would say most of my jeans are medium with a few dark ones.
I understand. I was thinking more of medium (that gets lighter after wearing and washing) than of 'white-light'.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by treomen
Does anyone have opinion? I personally find dark color denim easier to match other clothes, what do you think?

Unless you own one pair of pants or they must all be the same why worry?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One should own many different shades of denim.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a single person here will say light jeans are good,
yet every single one of them was wearing lighter jeans in the 1990s.

Dark denim was totally lame back in the 90s.
(Look at Mr. 1978 ...Sergio Velente / Jordache / Sasoon ..... Ohh la la ! )
Now, light denim is totally lame. (Look at Mr. Grunge rocker 1993! )
Basically, what looks "good" is what TV/younger people are wearing, and isn't too old.

If you want to be more empirical, poor people (and outdated suburban parents) are more apt to wear 8-10 year old jeans.
So, today, if you wear light jeans, you'll look like poor people (or a dad)
10 years from now, if you wear dark jeans, you'll look like poor people (or a dad)
...while every is wearing "hip" light jeans 10 years from now...

There's nothing inherent good or bad about the color.
It's just meaningless fashion, and buying cycles.

17andStyle

Reaction score
I have always worn dark jeans only, sold with no intentional rips or patches in them. I have no trouble getting them all torn myself, haha.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Not a single person here will say light jeans are good,
yet every single one of them was wearing lighter jeans in the 1990s.

Dark denim was totally lame back in the 90s.
(Look at Mr. 1978 ...Sergio Velente / Jordache / Sasoon ..... Ohh la la ! )
Now, light denim is totally lame. (Look at Mr. Grunge rocker 1993! )
Basically, what looks "good" is what TV/younger people are wearing, and isn't too old.

If you want to be more empirical, poor people (and outdated suburban parents) are more apt to wear 8-10 year old jeans.
So, today, if you wear light jeans, you'll look like poor people (or a dad)
10 years from now, if you wear dark jeans, you'll look like poor people (or a dad)
...while every is wearing "hip" light jeans 10 years from now...

There's nothing inherent good or bad about the color.
It's just meaningless fashion, and buying cycles.

a perfect summary of my feelings on the subject. Well done.

A few years ago punters were paying serious money for genuine vintage 501s that were all washed out by years of wear. Where are these people now?

While I can see that dark denim looks a little more dressy insofar as jeans can be dressy, I have a few pairs of years old 501s in various shades of wear and I'm not about to throw them out just cos some knacker in Paris or Milan decides they aren't 'cool' any more.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is that a dark blue shirt looks far better with lighter jeans that it does with darker jeans.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Not a single person here will say light jeans are good, yet every single one of them was wearing lighter jeans in the 1990s. Dark denim was totally lame back in the 90s. (Look at Mr. 1978 ...Sergio Velente / Jordache / Sasoon ..... Ohh la la ! ) Now, light denim is totally lame. (Look at Mr. Grunge rocker 1993! ) Basically, what looks "good" is what TV/younger people are wearing, and isn't too old. If you want to be more empirical, poor people (and outdated suburban parents) are more apt to wear 8-10 year old jeans. So, today, if you wear light jeans, you'll look like poor people (or a dad) 10 years from now, if you wear dark jeans, you'll look like poor people (or a dad) ...while every is wearing "hip" light jeans 10 years from now... There's nothing inherent good or bad about the color. It's just meaningless fashion, and buying cycles.
well analyzed, except that you forget an inherent quality of denim. It fades. 8-10 years from now, suburban parents and homeless people may be wearing the jeans we are buying today, but they won't be dark anymore. Homeless people don't wear light jeans because they are out of style, thy wear them because they are old. All old jeans are light.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
... Unless they are selvedge raw denim owned by some obsessive nut who doesn't wash them for mo ths and instead puts them in the freezer and all that malarkey.

lastlight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
a perfect summary of my feelings on the subject. Well done.

A few years ago punters were paying serious money for genuine vintage 501s that were all washed out by years of wear. Where are these people now?

While I can see that dark denim looks a little more dressy insofar as jeans can be dressy, I have a few pairs of years old 501s in various shades of wear and I'm not about to throw them out just cos some knacker in Paris or Milan decides they aren't 'cool' any more.

I remember some company in new york, that had a restuarant's staff wear their jeans until they were worn and torn and smelly. Then sold them faded and ripped for shitloads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads