• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daps of Meltonia Shoe Cream left "burns" in AE 5th Avenue leather

Reaction score
Kinna hard to explain the burns, but basically I got too much of the black cream ********** and wasnt going to use it all on one spot so I left 2 dimples at such bellow (pictures). To my ignorance, I check back after polishing the toe and lord behold the burns dont buff out. Anyone knows how to remove these burns??

The pictures are way off focus, but bear w/ me if you please.

1249a2o.jpg

2r5f0jk.jpg

2198l03.jpg

x6hsma.jpg

Edit: I cleaned w/ AE Cleaner and then buff w/ Meltonia Cream only. No wax. Would wax able to fix such a thing??

Last edited:
Reaction score
COuld use some pointers and whatnot

Update:

I just confirm that those "burns" are indeed removal of the shine layer. I tried rubbing a q-tip of Isopropyl Alcohol near one of the burn for comparison and the result of the stripping looks exactly like that of the cream.

Logically speaking if that goddamn goop can removes the shine layer then you must be able to reapply it. So then what exactly is that shine layer that come w/ AE shoes, anyone knows??

Last edited:

joonian

Reaction score
Apply some coloured cream that matches the leather colour, let dry. Apply one or two more coats if you wish. After it's all dried and the cream has soaked into the leather, then you have the option of applying a thin (note: thin) coat of wax polish of an identical or similar colour. Once that is done, buff or spit-shine the wax and you will have a nice polished shoe. It's also fine not to apply wax polish. The leather just won't be as shiny.

Reaction score
What sort of colored cream I should look at now?? The Meltonian's one that got is black, Noir. According to them it's also a Polish. It works fine for the rest of the shoe, but doesnt not appear to bring back the shine to those 2 spots.

Im thinking of grabbing some Kiwi Polish and whatnot for a try.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should shine back up.

Just go to the nearest drugstore and pick up a tin of kiwi black polish.

Apply with cotton rag wrapped on your finger. Let dry, buff.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how too much black shoe cream would strip the color from the shoe. It should be the opposite.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the solvent in the shoe cream just dissolved some of the factory sprayed on topcoat.

Reaction score
I dont know why either

The shoe is brand spanking new. I have wore it only like thrice since I received it. That's not a lot of wear and tear if at all beside the standard creasing.

The amount of those two dabs were literally grain of rice each, just smudged. My guess is it's because I left them alone for too long, ~3 minutes, and that somehow burn away the layer. I used the same grain of rice to shine the toe and it came out great.

I'll report back later once Im handy to pick up a tin of Kiwi.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok well, gave Kiwi a try just now and nope does not help. After something like 4-5 coats, the burn is still very visible.

Modus operandi: apply by dapping, let dry for a minute or so, rub w/ cotton shirt, buff w/ brush. The surrounding are nice and shine as you'd expect, but the burn is still there mocking.

Im just going to wait on AE's responses on this situation now. Also, is the Kiwi Shoe Polish a wax or cream?? It is way more solid than Meltonia's one, but doesnt feel very waxy.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is wierd.

Kiwi shoe polish in a tin should be able to make sandpaper shiny with enough applications/coats.

Rub in small circular motions very lightly. Let dry 10-15 minutes. Brush lightly. Repeat. It might take two or three coats.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is wierd.
Kiwi shoe polish in a tin should be able to make sandpaper shiny with enough applications/coats.
Rub in small circular motions very lightly. Let dry 10-15 minutes. Brush lightly. Repeat. It might take two or three coats.
I did, Meltonian Black - the damn thing that caused those burns in the first place.

Put a coloured cream on first, then wax.
Hm...I didnt wait that long, but I guess I'll give it another try.

AE recommended their carnauba wax. I guess I'll give that a try too, might as well.

Reaction score
These are the worst photos of anything in the history of the Internet.
Meybee!!

I will take better one later. Im thinking of just bite the bullet and send them back to AE and hope they could fix it. My OCD ticks me off everytime I look at the shoe and the burns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads