• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dainite soles' traction in winter

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
That wasn't the question. The question was hard ice, which people were saying that both danite and bean boots did bad on. I believe the point of that question was to question if ANYTHING was good on hard ice. And in my experience, short of crampons or hobnails, the answer is no. Even my (high end) hiking boots with big lug vibram soles will slip on hard ice.
For hard ice, nothing works well.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Loudly;3902845 said:
Those Barker Blacks rock, from the commando soles all the way up.

Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I never knew that. Thanks!

Commando soles:

Picture995.jpg

That's not a Commando sole. It's a Lug sole.
True Commandos are stitched on and the lugs are recessed in so the can't be seen from the profile.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it has to do with the hardness of the rubber. Dainite is very hard and very dense. There are variations on it that are softer, such as some of the rubber soles made by Heschung that I find are not as slippery on ice and snow.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dainite's website sells the sole pattern on its cleanliness. I admit I never noticed this until today.

This is true -- the soles are much easier to clean than lug or commando soles -- they wipe clean quickly and thoroughly. No bits of salt or ice or gravel or mud get jammed into little crevices.

It could be that dainite does not have the traction of other rubber soles. I wore mine today and while I did not slip much, I did some. I would not have noticed but for this thread. I've been wearing Trickers through the snow for years, and never thought there was a problem with their traction, and I'm sure I'll keep wearing them. Maybe not the best but certainly good enough.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
The reason Dainite soles do not provide good traction on ice and hard snow is that the "studs" on the bottom of the soles are the only things coming into contact with the ice and show. That's very little surface area of the actual sole coming into contact with the ice and snow.

Think about it for a moment.

Look at the bottom of a pair of Dainites.

See the studs protruding from the sole?

That's all that comes into contact with the ice and snow.

And that's really not a whole lot.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I have a similar experience. Dainite is good for the wet, but not so great for icey pavements and streets... Commando soles are probably the way to go for traction.

Dainite - great for wet weather, no better than leather in snow, very poor on ice

Commando - slightly better in light snow, but stamp the compacted snow out of the treads periodically. Marginally better than dainite on ice, but not great.

Only way I've found of reliably walking on ice are strap on spikes.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I just use Tingleys... provide good traction and I can wear my regular leather soles.

Are you certain that a product called 'Tingleys' isn't worn somewhere else on the body?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Dainite - great for wet weather, no better than leather in snow, very poor on ice

Commando - slightly better in light snow, but stamp the compacted snow out of the treads periodically. Marginally better than dainite on ice, but not great.

This winter especially I wish that I had crampons!

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent

+1

well-kept

Reaction score
The reason Dainite soles do not provide good traction on ice and hard snow is that the "studs" on the bottom of the soles are the only things coming into contact with the ice and show. That's very little surface area of the actual sole coming into contact with the ice and snow.

Funny, when I walk on snow with Dainite soles, which I do all the time, the little studs, and quite often everything from there all the way up to my knees, comes in contact with the snow. Ice, granted, is a different matter. Snow is three dimensional.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am sorry but this theory is wrong. If it were true, then crampons should never have been invented in the first place.

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I am sorry but this theory is wrong. If it were true, then crampons should never have been invented in the first place.

Precisely.

Also, if the theory were true, leather would have awesome traction, because the entire sole would be in contact with snow/ice!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the only plus side of the snowy winter so far is that I've had plenty of time to test out dainite on snow/ice/frozen w/e. I am pleased and am glad I went with it.

for the horrendous days I just wear my Bean Boots. anytime else I wear my Dainite soled boots, they do fine. and they are indeed an upgrade over a vibram/topy layer over standard leather soles.

I think Dainite strikes a real good balance between function and form, whereas for me I think Commando or lug soles look to rugged to pass on "dress" shoes/boots

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads