• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dainite soles' traction in winter

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like golashes because when you take them off your shoes' finish is all smeared up. Plus to get somes that fit are a pain ********** to take on and off. I'd say at that point you're better off just bringing your shoes in a bag with you to work and wearing boots.

Siwash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Bad on ice, especially on hard surfaces like pavement.
+1 I too own several Dainite chukkas, be very careful when you walk in from outside to a hard surface interior, that seems the most dangerous point for me. Outside they seem fine in slush/snow/mud etc..

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
do people think commando is really that much better on actual ice?

Yes. I feel that they are more durable in general too. I have found dainites to actually wear down pretty fast.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I don't like golashes because when you take them off your shoes' finish is all smeared up. Plus to get somes that fit are a pain ********** to take on and off. I'd say at that point you're better off just bringing your shoes in a bag with you to work and wearing boots.

What kind of golashes have you tried. I have never had either of those issues and have worn them with my best shoes and no "smearing". Good golashes have a soft cotton felt lining like a shoe bag.

However, this year I purchased a pair of Baffins for when it gets really bad. Found them on sale at REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/804468

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, I will just come out and say it. Galoshes are ugly and I don't want to be seen wearing them. I would rather be seen wearing functional footwear than go through the trouble of dealing with galoshes and my own vanity.

nringo

Reaction score

I picked up a pair of the Swims brand golashes at Allen Edmonds and they've got a nice soft finish on the inside that so far has not messed up the finish of my shoes.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I will just come out and say it. Galoshes are ugly and I don't want to be seen wearing them. I would rather be seen wearing functional footwear than go through the trouble of dealing with galoshes and my own vanity.

I kind of agree with you. However, I figured out since I need to protect my shoes anyway I picked up the orange swims. I figure I might as well have fun with it.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn. I may end up returning my Dainite shell boots then, which I bought for this purpose exactly - winter wear.

I sit at a desk all day, I just need these (for now) for a short walk to car every day

maybe I'm better off getting another pair of LHS's for most days + duck boots for really bad days

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think what this all comes to is that as far as elegant looking shoes in inclement weather, dainite is MUCH better than leather soles. Will they work as well as things like Bean Boots? No, but there's always a trade off. Bottom line is don't worry too much about it because if the ground is slippery enough no shoe will work 100% the way you want it to.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
For snow and slush, yes.
That wasn't the question. The question was hard ice, which people were saying that both danite and bean boots did bad on. I believe the point of that question was to question if ANYTHING was good on hard ice. And in my experience, short of crampons or hobnails, the answer is no. Even my (high end) hiking boots with big lug vibram soles will slip on hard ice.

ktrp

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of dainite boots a few weeks ago* and was wearing them yesterday when there was a light snowfall.

I was extremely impressed by their traction. I slipped a few inches twice in my mile walk, both times on sheer ice.

Nothing has perfect traction on snow. I had commando _type_ soles and it is quite easy for snow to pack into the grooves which then gives bad traction. Commando soles give great traction on rough ground. They are not necessarily made for snow. The best traction on snow is from something with a very 'open' tread, i.e. big gaps between the knobs so that it is harder for snow to pack in, and perhaps saw shaped cross sections that don't hold snow as well. I couldn't find a picture of the bottom, but you can see this sort of tread from the side on these Sorel's:

draft_lens8711431module76011771photo_1261875739Sorel_Caribou_Boot_Wool_M

And how would such a boot's wear? It will wear out fast - the amount of rubber in contact with the ground when walking on pavement is quite small and will wear down quickly. These boots are made for walking in deep snow, NOT on pavement.

If you want a wear to the office all weather boot with great snow performance you are dreaming. True snow boots are things like the sorel's. The dainite handled light snow on a sidewalk well, and looks good enough to be worn office casual. For me, that makes it a good combination. YMMV.

*for future forumers searching on this sort of thing, I got the Charles Tyrwhitt pebble grain cap toe lace up boots (made by Loake, shilton design but pebble grain tan). They are made in the UK. I wear a size 11-11.5 in most US shoes, more often 11 in dress shoes (ie. AEs). Size 10 fit great. 9.5 would have probably been okay but snug, 10.5 would have been too big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads