1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Dack's Shoes: Bankrupt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WildeMan, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Chargersfan

Chargersfan Well-Known Member

Too many dumb posts on this thread to itemize so I'll make a blanket statement.
    None of you know what you are typing about (so far) and you probably typed it wearing Crocs.
    I doubr any of you even own a pair of Dack's shoes.
    If you do, post photos to prove it or shut up.
    Dack's did not charge 2x or 3x the price of anything, unless you are referring to $100 Florsheims.
    The reason Dack's is going under is that 99% of men are too stupid and uneducated to appreciate a good quality pair of shoes in the first place.
    You played it cheap, and that is why better companies go out of business.
    There is no other reason.
    Shop at Wal-Mart, Future Shop, Best Buy, Sams & Costco too, and by your practices,
    you'll see to it that all other Canadian companies go out of business.

You must be from TO...the buying public are just too stupid to understand the wonderfulness of the crappy, overpriced product no one is buying. And I wasn't wearing crocs when I made my post....just black, vibram-soled, gortex, standard issue military boots. They're the only thing work will let me wear.

BTW I only purchase ammo at Wal-Mart, never clothing...

2. WildeMan

WildeMan Well-Known Member

Man of Lint, your post seems overly (and unnecessarily) agressive.

I didn't detect anything but genuine regret from SF members over the demise of Dack's. I think most people were rather wistful that their product offering wasn't more appealing.

Plenty of high-end Canadian companies thrive - Lululemon, Roots, Fairmont & Four Seasons hotels, RIM, to name a few --- because they offer what people want. The market is always right.

Interestingly, your avatar is a pair of shoes. Not Dack's, though.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Man of Lint, your post seems overly (and unnecessarily) agressive. I didn't detect anything but genuine regret from SF members over the demise of Dack's. I think most people were rather wistful that their product offering wasn't more appealing.
    Don't worry, I do have Dack's shoes right here, and have owned plenty a pair in the past. The only agression in this thread came from those who revealed their ignorance of a product they have clearly never owned, and are therefore not qualified to offer input.
    Plenty of high-end Canadian companies thrive - Lululemon, Roots, Fairmont & Four Seasons hotels, RIM, to name a few --- because they offer what people want. The market is always right. Interestingly, your avatar is a pair of shoes. Not Dack's, though.
    Fairmont & Four Seasons are hotels, not shoe manufacturers and are not high end either. Lululemon, Roots...high end? [​IMG]

4. racetrack

racetrack Well-Known Member

The only agression in this thread came from those who revealed their ignorance of a product they have clearly never owned, and are therefore not qualified to offer input.

i.e. 90% of the posts on SF. You haven't been lurking here very long to get upset about this. [​IMG]

5. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Well-Known Member

None of you know what you are typing about (so far) and you probably typed it wearing Crocs.
    Dack's did not charge 2x or 3x the price of anything, unless you are referring to $100 Florsheims.
    The reason Dack's is going under is that 99% of men are too stupid and uneducated to appreciate a good quality pair of shoes in the first place.
    Shop at Wal-Mart, Future Shop, Best Buy, Sams & Costco too, and by your practices,

I agree with you 100%, Man Of Lint. A lot of people always seem to forget that a lower price does not always mean a better value. Without value, we have nothing. I'd rather own only twopairs of really good shoes than eight pair of also-rans.

6. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Well-Known Member

Hmm, missed this post. Anybody pick anything up? Anybody in Edmonton check out their store? Any chance of anything left now?

7. ZackyBoy

ZackyBoy Well-Known Member

Wow... yes it's all our fault the retailer can't stay in the green. Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I bought a pair of Dack's for a "formal" once, a long time ago, so I have nostalgic memories about the brand - but it really seems to me that they went the way of the dodo because they did not adapt to the modern marketplace. And before Man of Lint blasts me, companies can adapt to the market without compromising their strengths. But companies with a strong product can still become obsolete, and not just in the "nice shoe" category.

9. Doc4

Doc4 Well-Known Member

Too bad to see them go. FWIW, though, they hadn't seemed like much of a presence in the shoe market for a while now.

I bought 4 pairs of shoes from them in the mid-90s, and regret not buying a few more. Two pairs have long-since died (from a low-end line made in South Aftrica) but two pairs have survived rather well (a camel brogue blucher, and a water buffalo wholecut). Still nice shoes.

10. robdpittman

robdpittman Well-Known Member

Lululemon may not be high-end, but it's the best yoga clothes money can buy. Though many "high-end" designers also manufacture (or contract) yoga and athletic clothes, in my experience the quality isn't as good as Lulu, and the prices are usually higher, sometimes significantly so.

That said, in general, the Canadian penchant for mediocrity is not an illusion, as is clearly displayed in our politics, infrastructure, media, banking, business and public attitudes. Furthermore, it's clearly present in the Canadian "spirit". Our culture is one of merely being satisfied. "Peace, Order and Good Government" is the national motto, as opposed to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness".

Apologies for my digressions.

11. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

IIRC Dacks shoes were about $100 more than Allen Edmonds.

12. holymadness

holymadness Well-Known Member

That said, in general, the Canadian penchant for mediocrity is not an illusion, as is clearly displayed in our politics, infrastructure, media, banking, business and public attitudes. Furthermore, it's clearly present in the Canadian "spirit". Our culture is one of merely being satisfied. "Peace, Order and Good Government" is the national motto, as opposed to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness".

Apologies for my digressions.

This is true. They also don't like to kick up a fuss when they get a raw deal, which is why they keep getting them.

13. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Well-Known Member

I miss Dack's shoes. I wore them, my dad wore them, and my grandfather wore them.

I found the biggest problem in the last couple years of the company's existance was they never had enough stock in the stores so I couldn't get my size. I don't live in Toronto, so it wasn't possible to just run back in a couple days later when they got my size. The people who bought the brand from Prada couldn't have run it any worse than they did. I remember having a long telephone conversation with the new general manager, giving him with a number of suggestions and even recommended he contact Tom Park (since Dack's and Leathersoul weren't competitors), but he ignored them, including my suggestion to start selling online (internet? what's that?). I later learned he wasn't from the retail shoe business at all but was just some management hack they hired. Incidentally, their top-end line in the last few years was made by Cheaney and was far better than AE.

I would like to get the brand and revive it someday, but I imagine the current owners will sit on the brand and refuse to sell it except for a high price, even though they own 100% of nothing.

14. yeungjai

yeungjai Well-Known Member

I actually spent a few months working in their head office during their attempted turn-around when the 'management hack' came in. Their systems were outdated as all hell with an embarassingly low-tech POS system, but their shoes' qualities were definitely up there, whether you're talking about the Cheaneys, the ones from the Church's factory, or the old ones from New Brunswick.

I think their biggest problem though, was that they had too many locations selling a shoe at a pricepoint that you'd only find in Harrys/Holts/boutiques, but with very little cachet behind their name (in the general public's mind).

On a side note though - they were selling their old stock at about $50/pair from their factory store (right next to their head office) for a period of time. Rock solid gunboats above AE quality for $50 bucks.

I miss Dack's shoes. I wore them, my dad wore them, and my grandfather wore them.

I found the biggest problem in the last couple years of the company's existance was they never had enough stock in the stores so I couldn't get my size. I don't live in Toronto, so it wasn't possible to just run back in a couple days later when they got my size. The people who bought the brand from Prada couldn't have run it any worse than they did. I remember having a long telephone conversation with the new general manager, giving him with a number of suggestions and even recommended he contact Tom Park (since Dack's and Leathersoul weren't competitors), but he ignored them, including my suggestion to start selling online (internet? what's that?). I later learned he wasn't from the retail shoe business at all but was just some management hack they hired. Incidentally, their top-end line in the last few years was made by Cheaney and was far better than AE.

I would like to get the brand and revive it someday, but I imagine the current owners will sit on the brand and refuse to sell it except for a high price, even though they own 100% of nothing.

15. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Well-Known Member

It's a good example, I think, of how no matter how good your products are, if you don't reach your customers or your potential customers then you're screwed. Which seems completely obvious, when I re-read that sentence, but so many companies don't seem to get it. Dack's was one of those.

16. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Well-Known Member

Where is their head office?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  17. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Well-Known Member

I joined the workforce in the summer of 2008. I was buying my dress shoes from Rockport, Florsheim, Ecco and others whenever they were on sale.

Finally a colleague introduced me to Dacks. I managed to snag 3 pairs at a final liquidation in Oakville for about $150 a pair. The sizes are a little big and the width is tight, but they are the best shoes I have. I am on my feet all day, and my feet don't feel tired at the end of the day. The shine of the leather has not faded, and my maintenance is minimal.

I've been told I should only have them re-crafted by a shoemaker called Alfonse who works in downtown TO.

Anyways, all this to say - it's so sad to see a Canadian icon go down this way. Too bad a company like Harren Rosen or Holt Renfrew didn't pick them up.

18. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

19. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

Hmm, where are they made now for $450? Too bad there are no E widths. I remember in the dying days they were selling Made in Mexico ones for $299 or $250 or something.

20. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

That would be Matthew Dack, a member of the Dack family and who also has recently joined Styleforum.

They are made in England by, I believe Cheaney, and are of very good quality, well worth the money. The biggest problem is that they are for the present, only availabe through Matthews website so one had better know his size and the product before ordering. They should be true to size.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012