• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of
Oh, cool, thanks.

I only ever saw those crappy flat laces that seem to come semi-dress from bakers. Or maybe the flat ones are from whites and your are a Baker's pair?

My black cherry/brown dress will be here in a few weeks... Those are the laces I want with them!
Yup the flat laces that come with the SDs are really bad.. I have switched over to these waxed laces that I bought on eBay and actually love them. They are the same ones on the boots here as I was trying them on..

cathpah

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics cathpah. I agree, smooth distressed is incredible! Here are mine in their element - hiking in the White Mountains, NH

Those are beauties. You're a rare soul on the east coast to have cuban heels, but they work well here. I climbed Chocorua last month, so I'm a big fan of the Whites. (wearing White's in the Whites...ZING!)

Dude, welcome back, and SICK pictures! I've done the knife edge up AND down and it def is great hike. Baxter is a must do for the north east :) Great boost as well!
Yeah, Katahdin really is a blast, especially Knife Edge and Cathedral. It was my wife's first time up Katahdin, and she's now hooked.

Last edited:

univibe88

Reaction score

Those are beauties.  You're a rare soul on the east coast to have cuban heels, but they work well here.  I climbed Chocorua last month, so I'm a big fan of the Whites.  (wearing White's in the Whites...ZING!)

Thanks! I never really thought about it, but you are right about the Cuban heal in New England. Someone once called my semi-dress "cowboy boots"!!

Whites in the Whites didn't occur to me either...I love it!!

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about buying my first new pair of boots in a few years - my feet appear to have spread a bit from wearing minimalist shoes over the past couple of summers and my 13EE White's fit a hair tight, Baker recommended going to 13Fs when I last e-mailed them with my measurements.

My boots are somewhat heavy no matter what (single midsole, Vibram 705/comp half sole), but I'm looking at going liner-less for these next SDs to save some weight. The three leathers I'm looking at are Distressed Smooth, British Tan and Natural CXL - I know the latter pair are liner-recommended but I'm curious if anyone has gotten a pair in those leathers without liner?

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want extra stretch protection yes, but trust me the stuff Whites sources is plenty thick for a casual boot. I have a pair in black CXL with leather lining and they're heavy as a mugg. Barely a wrinkle in the hide. Now brown or black dress? Technically no lining needed but a wee bit flimsy feeling without it. But true blue OG SDs are brown dress unlined

If anything, I'd recommend lining from the vamp down only. But that's just my opinion (full disclosure: I don't actually know if this is something they're willing to do but they should :D )

Last edited:

jrosenthal

Reaction score

Thinking about buying my first new pair of boots in a few years - my feet appear to have spread a bit from wearing minimalist shoes over the past couple of summers and my 13EE White's fit a hair tight, Baker recommended going to 13Fs when I last e-mailed them with my measurements.

My boots are somewhat heavy no matter what (single midsole, Vibram 705/comp half sole), but I'm looking at going liner-less for these next SDs to save some weight. The three leathers I'm looking at are Distressed Smooth, British Tan and Natural CXL - I know the latter pair are liner-recommended but I'm curious if anyone has gotten a pair in those leathers without liner?

If your toes have spread from the minimalist shoes but the width of your feet are still the same, you may want to try the swing last or the 154 oxford last (apparently they will do a SD on the oxford last). Those will get you more room in the toe box without getting too big in the heel and mid section.
James

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anything, I'd recommend lining from the vamp down only. But that's just my opinion (full disclosure: I don't actually know if this is something they're willing to do but they should
biggrin.gif
)

I think this is what they do standard..

dsthompson

Reaction score
Just got tracking info for my boots! Ordered on 7/20...

These recent pictures of distressed smooth have really got me excited...I ordered distressed smooth on the semi-dress boot. Will post pictures once they arrive...

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Swing last is an interesting idea, I don't think it was an option when I ordered last (or I didn't notice it).

I just put on my two pair (smooth black, double midsole - bad call in my size - and walked around the house a bit (I haven't worn either in six months - Texas is a treat) and they're still 'fine' but my workboots before exiting construction were Thorogoods and my summer shoes have been Sanuks and Keen Coronados.

The heel and midsole seem good, and I can wiggle my toes just fine, but I'd like a more room across the ball of my foot and that area - seems like the Swing Last might address that well.

jrosenthal

Reaction score

The Swing last is an interesting idea, I don't think it was an option when I ordered last (or I didn't notice it).

I just put on my two pair (smooth black, double midsole - bad call in my size - and walked around the house a bit (I haven't worn either in six months - Texas is a treat) and they're still 'fine' but my workboots before exiting construction were Thorogoods and my summer shoes have been Sanuks and Keen Coronados.

The heel and midsole seem good, and I can wiggle my toes just fine, but I'd like a more room across the ball of my foot and that area - seems like the Swing Last might address that well.

The Coronado has been my go-to summer shoes for 10 years, on my third pair. Also own 3 other pairs of Keens for off road and trail. For disposable shoes they are worth every penny. I blame the Keens for the same thing you are now feeling, the relaxing and spreading of my toes. When I put on shoes that I loved 5 years ago, I'm in agony by mid day. Maybe gravity is also playing a role in the changing shape of my foot.
I ordered my first pair of whites 2 weeks ago specifically because of the swing last (the retro oxford 154 last is what I tried on and is apparently similar albeit a touch "sleeker"). The shape of the Keens is akin to the Munson last, the swing is the closest thing I have found outside of repro military or jump boots.

My current well loved and dying Cornodos

James

Last edited:

NNNN

Reaction score
So much discussion about CXL and Dress leathers lately. Does anyone have experience with White's Oil-tanned leathers (aka Smooth)? I'm fairly certain the Black and Brown Smooth are the standard work leathers for the Smoke Jumper, Packer, and Farmer/Rancher boots, as I believe they are the thickest White's has (along with Distressed). I was surprised that when Kyle popped in recently he recommended a liner for them...I always figured they were so thick there was no need. Here's a pair of Bounty Hunters that belongs to the guy from Obbi Good Label:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads