• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Percivilla

Reaction score
Yep, phasing out hand welted methinks.

Probably keep it as a hefty upcharge for us cork sniffing boot snobs...

I'll speculate that it's probably also a challenge to keep enough trained bootmakers around that can hand welt and are physically capable of the job. The guy I've seen doing it in the videos is built like a brick $hithouse.

Doesn't hurt my feelings, stitchdown is fine with me, especially if it keeps prices and QC problems down.

wordfool

Reaction score
White's particular implementation of 'hand-welted' is a variant on stitchdown; the upper is folded out underneath the welt, and then the outsole stitching goes through the welt, the upper, the midsole and the outsole. It's like a welt on top of a stitchdown.

In practical terms, I don't think the non-welted boots will be functionally any different from the welted versions; other than the outsole stitching being slightly cleaner looking, and potentially being slightly more water resistant thanks to the lack of a welt seam. They're still fully re-soleable and re-buildable; and stitchdown boots are just as tough, as anyone who wears Nick's, Wesco or Viberg work boots would testify.

I can't help but feel White's are deliberately trying to make their stitchdown boots more appealing than their welted counterparts, given that they're much more realistically priced and on shorter lead-times.

Sounds like stitchdown is in some ways preferable to the rolled welt, but sadly there seem to be few customization options for the stitchdown boots. No stitchdown Bounty Hunter to build with all sorts of funky leather options, for example. Perhaps that's all part of the plan, as you say -- become a higher-volume producer of easier-to-build boots and leave us fanatics to pay extra for our weird and wonderful requests.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Sounds like stitchdown is in some ways preferable to the rolled welt, but sadly there seem to be few customization options for the stitchdown boots. No stitchdown Bounty Hunter to build with all sorts of funky leather options, for example. Perhaps that's all part of the plan, as you say -- become a higher-volume producer of easier-to-build boots and leave us fanatics to pay extra for our weird and wonderful requests.
More customisation may come with time. It's not unheard of for White's to limit custom options on new products until production is fully up and running, and then allow more modifications over time. For example, when the MP boot was first released White's didn't allow much customisation, but more options were added as time passed.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad I already have enough pairs of White's to probably last my lifetime :cool:
Same, waiting on a few pairs that will make collection large enough to last me until I die 😂

jmiller123

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 6.56.51 PM.png

Placed an order for these stichdown cruisers as my first pair of Whites. I did give them a call to see if they could do a stitch down unstructured version with a cap toe but was told no alterations were possible. Still, looking forward to them & for some reason they do look sleeker than other cruisers I've seen, although maybe that's just the angle.

Last edited:

Skell6009

Reaction score
Is the 55 last the same as the semi dress last? I have a pair of bounty hunters from 2016 on the semi dress last, and I recently bought another new pair delivered earlier this year on the 55 last. I'm having a much harder time with the break-in on the arches with this new pair though. The arches feel noticeably higher on the 55 last pair. The sizing is also a little different, with the 55 last feeling slightly longer than my 2016 bounty hunters in the same size.

Last edited:

Moss Derringer

Reaction score
View attachment 1851531

Placed an order for these stichdown cruisers as my first pair of Whites. I did give them a call to see if they could do a stitch down unstructured version with a cap toe but was told no alterations were possible. Still, looking forward to them & for some reason they do look sleeker than other cruisers I've seen, although maybe that's just the angle.

You're going to love them! Still breaking mine in.

Attachments

• PXL_20221101_201911964.jpeg
    PXL_20221101_201911964.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 203

brunell

Reaction score
H
I want to take my first pair of White's boots, specifically the smoke jumper distreased roughout last 55 model. What size do you think I should take? my current boots are iron ranger 8111 in size 8EE and John lofgren in size 8. the seller recommended me smoke jumper in size 7.5D, do you think it can work?

andy b.

Reaction score
Glad I already have enough pairs of White's to probably last my lifetime :cool:

I noticed the custom MP boots on the Baker's site are now $700 along with the Bounty Hunters. Weird to think that just a few year ago I bought some custom BHs and SDs for less than $500 (albeit in a sale).

My first pair was only a little over $400 and was not a sale. LOL

klugtrane

Reaction score
Is the 55 last the same as the semi dress last? I have a pair of bounty hunters from 2016 on the semi dress last, and I recently bought another new pair delivered earlier this year on the 55 last. I'm having a much harder time with the break-in on the arches with this new pair though. The arches feel noticeably higher on the 55 last pair. The sizing is also a little different, with the 55 last feeling slightly longer than my 2016 bounty hunters in the same size.

My understanding is that the 55 is the default SD last, and it certainly seems the same between my BH and SD, but I do think there's a non-trivial amount of pair-to-pair difference, perhaps due to the hands that made them, etc., which seems weird because they're all built on similar lasts.

climbinglife

Reaction score
The 55 and the Semi dress last are the same last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads