• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
That's a very interesting point and I agree that PNW especially White's boots are the best value for money.
A few weeks ago [RonseAnvil] cut Alden Indys in half and shared it on YouTube.
The commotion it caused in Alden social media forums was hilarious. I also think Alden are overpriced and every time I had thought of buying Alden I ended up ordering White's but when Rose Anvil mentioned how Alden is using leather board (or fiberboard?) Alden Enthusiasts started screaming lol.
I suppose we could say 'value' is relative. For me it is the single (or double) midsoles plus real leather and a great arch support, for Alden fans, Indys is an iconic boot and worth every penny.
First world problems!!!
There's an interesting counterpoint article to that Rose Anvil video on 100wears.com, where he writes a well constructed argument the other way.

The article goes into more depth, but the thrust is that at a given price-point, you just have to decide which compromises you're prepared to make; and as the article puts it, "unless your boot is more than $2,000 you ARE cutting corners somewhere".

It's a pretty fair article, and worth a read. White's are actually used as an example of a boot with a different set of compromises.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine there are a lot of knife (and watch) guys on here :)
Definitely Watch and Gun guy lol.
May be I have strange taste but I love my White’s boots and Gshock watches (especially GPW1000 or similar models)
Garmin is also a favorite.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's an interesting counterpoint article to that Rose Anvil video on 100wears.com, where he writes a well constructed argument the other way.

The article goes into more depth, but the thrust is that at a given price-point, you just have to decide which compromises you're prepared to make; and as the article puts it, "unless your boot is more than $2,000 you ARE cutting corners somewhere".

It's a pretty fair article, and worth a read. White's are actually used as an example of a boot with a different set of compromises.
I read the article on 100wears.
As a White’s fan and former AE fan I still think Alden Indy’s are overpriced 😂 .

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I read the article on 100wears.
As a White’s fan and former AE fan I still think Alden Indy’s are overpriced 😂 .
I do get that, but that's your sensibilities; it's what you look for in a boot. And I'm similar, but I can see the other side too.

I'm sure there would be an army of Alden fans who would look at, say, White's level of finishing, and ask, 'how the hell are you willing to pay over $600 for that mess?"

And of course, we'd all explain how tough they are, and how thick the leather is, how they're designed to stand up to the abuse loggers and firefighters put them through, etc. etc.

And the Alden fan would probably go, "yeah, but I work in an office. I don't need that. I've been wearing the same pair of Indy's for 10 years, and they're still going strong. Why would I pay extra for a level of toughness I'll literally never need, if it comes at the cost of the finishing I see every time I look at my boots?"

And they wouldn't be wrong. And you're not wrong either. It's just coming at things differently.

Want toughness? White's are better value. Want finishing? Aldens are better value. Can't make your mind up? Get some Vibergs ;)

Robe des

Reaction score
Does anybody know if whites do what's know as 'combo lasts' ? I've emailed them but have yet to respond. I've also emailed Nick's and they say they dont do them.
If your not aware, a combo last is a last that take different widths of different parts of the foot into account. So for me, i have D width feet in the ball, but no boots for me right in my heels as my heels are skinny and are likely a size A not D, but 99% of shoe mass manufacturers dont accommodate anyone who's feet dont exactly fall in line with what's considered a typical shape. I know Allen Edmonds do combo lasts, but I'm looking for a sturdy boot to buy, that also takes a foot with various widths into account. Like I've said, unfortunately the person I contacted at Nick's email said they dont they only do standard widths, but has anyone here got a combo last from whites before?

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Does anybody know if whites do what's know as 'combo lasts' ? I've emailed them but have yet to respond. I've also emailed Nick's and they say they dont do them.
If your not aware, a combo last is a last that take different widths of different parts of the foot into account. So for me, i have D width feet in the ball, but no boots for me right in my heels as my heels are skinny and are likely a size A not D, but 99% of shoe mass manufacturers dont accommodate anyone who's feet dont exactly fall in line with what's considered a typical shape. I know Allen Edmonds do combo lasts, but I'm looking for a sturdy boot to buy, that also takes a foot with various widths into account. Like I've said, unfortunately the person I contacted at Nick's email said they dont they only do standard widths, but has anyone here got a combo last from whites before?
White's will do a combo last, but I think an A width at the heel and a D width at the forefoot might be a bit too much of a disparity. Usually you can mismatch the front and rear of the last by a width or two, but an A heel matched with a D forefoot might be pushing it.

Speak to Bakers; their sizing advice is usually pretty spot-on.

andy b.

Reaction score
I get it, thats a lot of cash...but, and its a small but lol...He's one guy, building about 30 pairs a year and he makes it legit to your foot. Full on bespoke, handmade footwear. Its not tracings but a full on one to one multiple conversations, tweaking and getting it right just for you.
I'm not saying I'd pay 1850$ but I might, knowing what I know and have gone through over the years with different brands of boots.

I also come from the custom knife world where $1850 is a joke these days. Thats a rabbit hole you don't wanna go down lol. andy b knows of what i speak ;)

Man, if I went down any more rabbit holes, Alice would think I had the hots for her.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
@Jimk4003 @iamntbatman I'm board with you guys spending $1K plus on boots is way out of my range can't do it. Just mentioning other makers bc Kreosote isn't even the most expensive this hobby can get.

For me Wesco is the best sweet spot for boots you can buy in America, Indonesian makers are even better bang for buck while maintaining quality. I have a pair of Onderhouds that are (for me) superior in every way to Viberg no question.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
@Jimk4003 @iamntbatman I'm board with you guys spending $1K plus on boots is way out of my range can't do it. Just mentioning other makers bc Kreosote isn't even the most expensive this hobby can get.

For me Wesco is the best sweet spot for boots you can buy in America, Indonesian makers are even better bang for buck while maintaining quality. I have a pair of Onderhouds that are (for me) superior in every way to Viberg no question.

To be honest, while a lot of Indonesian makers are making some great looking boots at good prices, I just can't bring myself to jump back into that water. I had a pair of service boots from Txture and disliked them enough that I gave them away. The fit was all wrong (even though I sent detailed measurements and sizing info), there was zero arch support, the sockliner was this super slippery leather (which, combined with the heel and zero arch support, meant my foot was getting jammed forward into the toe box with every step), the speedhooks were cheap, thin metal that pulled out of the uppers, and worst of all, the heel counter was some sort of fiberboard or something that started to disintegrate. The whole heel counter area started getting all saggy and frumpy looking and barely had any structure to it after a while. The finishing was very nice, as was the leather, but after several pairs of tankish White's they just felt fragile. Plus they had Dainite soles which I found out I hate. I actually asked Baker's if they could do a relast/rebuild on them to replace the bottoms with something I'd like more and put in better hardware, and Kyle said it would be possible but probably cost more than I paid for the boots.

If some other makers are using veg tan heel counters, better hardware, more refined lasts with decent arch support, and generally burlier construction, I might jump back on board. But for now my next boot orders are going to be Wesco and Flame Panda, and maybe a rebuild on my old Bounty Hunters after the half sole gives out.

klugtrane

Reaction score
Anyone know why Whites is advertising the new stitchdown variants with Seidel "double shot" leathers? These are unfamiliar to me. I assume they are lighter than the work leathers.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why Whites is advertising the new stitchdown variants with Seidel "double shot" leathers? These are unfamiliar to me. I assume they are lighter than the work leathers.
Some information I could found
Stitchdown article

and
Another article

So seems like CXL (?) and lighter than work leather.

Phalanx

Reaction score

White's do combo-lasts yes but as @Jimk4003 said, they're not going to do a D/A last. My MP boots are a 13D/E (D in the heel, E in the toes).
I'm very curious to see what D/A feet might look like; are you a good swimmer by any chance? :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads