• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frizzleburger

Reaction score
I agree, those laces could be pulled tighter. The leather will loosen up a bit and you will then be able to pull even tighter. That’s just from my experience with new work type boots.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what this is all about?

DAAA3F9B-37BA-43AA-8555-965B89531FC1.jpeg

seidel1910

Reaction score
Hi all,

My MP boots in distressed RO arrived a couple weeks ago. Snapped a few pictures tonight in case anyone is curious how these turned out. I haven't seen another pair of MPs in dist RO yet and I couldn't be happier with them so far. The MP last is definitely tighter around the instep and slightly smaller in the toebox than the SD last, but it's breaking in pretty well and I think it'll be a great fit after a few more wears. Stitching is very even and nice throughout - my only (very minor) disappointment is that the leather used on the vamp has noticeably shorter nap than that used everywhere else.

IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

yyz89

Reaction score
Guys, having a hell of a hard time deciding on which leather to do for my first pair of White's. At first was thinking of going Cordovan-- I won't lie, simply for the "flex factor"--, but after doing some research don't think it's optimal, especially for a first proper pair of boots... plus, I can't get it in a colour I'm crazy about (whiskey), so what's the point? After some further reading (and heavy lurking of this forum) I've decided on either horsehide or water buffalo, but then I fell in love with the British tan. And I won't lie, bison has intrigued me as well. My inner-snob scoffed at the idea of going with mere Chromexcel (British Tan), but I've since checked said inner-snob and realize it's so popular/rampant for good reason. So those are my three choices now; horsehide, water buffalo, and chromexcel. I realize the buffalo is the most supple of the leathers, probably best for more casual/dressy use and that has me kind of worried- will it age especially fast and wrinkle very easy? Also, are the British Tan chromexcel and brown horsehide fairly similar in shade? Hard to tell shade of the brown horsehide- some pics very dark, others lighter. Which would you guys recommend going for for a first timer? I'm going for a semi-dress btw. Buffalo would be the light brown fwiw.

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, having a hell of a hard time deciding on which leather to do for my first pair of White's.

I have posted on this before, my thoughts are here:
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/custom-whites-boots-thoughts.219173/page-766#post-9433947

TL;DR
1) Water Buffalo - Thinner (not thin) pure dress, shiny, interesting surface... OK for pure dress boot, but always looks "plasticky".
2) British Tan - Chromexcel, shows scratches, but these mostly buff out, softer leather, hard to get a good shine, shows water spots like crazy... color is nice, but not a fan of Chromexcel for boots, starts off dark tan, and gets darker with age.
3) Brown Horse - best non shell leather White's makes, tough, durable, abrasion resistant, takes a shine, ages beautifully, has a "glow" I have not seen in other leathers... if I could only have one pair of White's, it would be in brown horse, if I could have two pairs, it would be in brown horse and black horse.

My opinion only, YMMV

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, having a hell of a hard time deciding on which leather to do for my first pair of White's. At first was thinking of going Cordovan-- I won't lie, simply for the "flex factor"--, but after doing some research don't think it's optimal, especially for a first proper pair of boots... plus, I can't get it in a colour I'm crazy about (whiskey), so what's the point? After some further reading (and heavy lurking of this forum) I've decided on either horsehide or water buffalo, but then I fell in love with the British tan. And I won't lie, bison has intrigued me as well. My inner-snob scoffed at the idea of going with mere Chromexcel (British Tan), but I've since checked said inner-snob and realize it's so popular/rampant for good reason. So those are my three choices now; horsehide, water buffalo, and chromexcel. I realize the buffalo is the most supple of the leathers, probably best for more casual/dressy use and that has me kind of worried- will it age especially fast and wrinkle very easy? Also, are the British Tan chromexcel and brown horsehide fairly similar in shade? Hard to tell shade of the brown horsehide- some pics very dark, others lighter. Which would you guys recommend going for for a first timer? I'm going for a semi-dress btw. Buffalo would be the light brown fwiw.

I have no experience with water buffalo. But I have to say, I don't think you'll notice much substantial difference between any of those with regard to feel/flex etc. I would say go with whatever looks best to you. If you were going to use them for any semi-serious work, I would say avoid the CXL, which will pick up the most abrasions and gouges. But sounds like that's not an issue. For me personally, the british tan seems a little, I don't know, bland to me. Entirely personal, but based on that, I'd vote for brown horsehide. On the other hand, if you were looking for something closer to whisky, I think natural CXL might be the way to go. It will darken up fairly quickly...

yyz89

Reaction score
I have no experience with water buffalo. But I have to say, I don't think you'll notice much substantial difference between any of those with regard to feel/flex etc. I would say go with whatever looks best to you. If you were going to use them for any semi-serious work, I would say avoid the CXL, which will pick up the most abrasions and gouges. But sounds like that's not an issue. For me personally, the british tan seems a little, I don't know, bland to me. Entirely personal, but based on that, I'd vote for brown horsehide. On the other hand, if you were looking for something closer to whisky, I think natural CXL might be the way to go. It will darken up fairly quickly...

What would you advise going for that's tougher than CXL when it comes to not picking up abrasions and such? Are there some other leathers they offer off the menu? I do prefer something that can be shined and have somewhat of a lustre. That's what I initially dug about cordovan- the shine-, but then read about how it doesn't breath and some higher end shoemakers don't like to work with it.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you advise going for that's tougher than CXL when it comes to not picking up abrasions and such? Are there some other leathers they offer off the menu? I do prefer something that can be shined and have somewhat of a lustre. That's what I initially dug about cordovan- the shine-, but then read about how it doesn't breath and some higher end shoemakers don't like to work with it.

Seems like the horsehide would hold up pretty well. Otherwise the two main choices are brown oil tan or brown dress. Both seem to wear like iron, but the the oil tan is much heavier and a bit more "dull," while the thinner dress leather would be lighter and bit "shinier." The dress leather for a long time was sort of "standard" for the SD, and there are lots of pics around. The oil tan is a real work boot leather, but harder to find pics of on an SD build.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Oh, and neither the oil tan nor the brown dress would really take a shine I would say, though the dress would get closer...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Oh, and neither the oil tan nor the brown dress would really take a shine I would say, though the dress would get closer...
I would respectfully disagree... granted the oil tan is very difficult to shine (harder even than Chromexcel) but the Brown Dress in my experience is fairly easy to shine, being a dress leather... granted I only do the toe caps and heels, but this is an example of what a little polish and brushing can do to brown dress...
IMG-2724.JPG

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member