• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for your response!

I must say, after seeing some pictures of the SD, the Cruiser, and the MP, my resolve has been tested a bit. I try to console myself that my four pairs of Red Wing Blacksmiths are more than adequate for my 6-inch boot needs, but...ahhh, White's look so damn good!
My pleasure.
I would like to add that if you have high arches, order White's in the 55 or 4811 last. The arch support in MP boots is low(er).

milkbaby

Reaction score
White's in brown bison and black oil tan roughout last night, and White's in color 8 Chromexcel this morning. White's Boots been berry berry güd to me. 😊🤘
20240102_125318.jpg

Reaction score
My pleasure.
I would like to add that if you have high arches, order White's in the 55 or 4811 last. The arch support in MP boots is low(er).
Do you have any experiences with Nicks for comparison? Their HNW last fits me very well—I could imagine having even more arch support, but how much would be too much I don’t think I could tell at this point. Red Wing no 8 provides minimal arch support—a 2/10 compared to maybe a 5/10 for HNW I could guess…

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any experiences with Nicks for comparison? Their HNW last fits me very well—I could imagine having even more arch support, but how much would be too much I don’t think I could tell at this point. Red Wing no 8 provides minimal arch support—a 2/10 compared to maybe a 5/10 for HNW I could guess…
I don't own Nick's but I have read on forums their HNW last has probably the least amount of arch support.
I have White's in 55, 4811, and 690 last.
690 last has the most arch support, followed by 4811 and then 55.
If I were to rate them on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the highest arch support).
I would say 690 is 9/10, 4811 is 8/10 and 55 would be 7/10.
It's just my personal experience.

Reaction score
I don't own Nick's but I have read on forums their HNW last has probably the least amount of arch support.
I have White's in 55, 4811, and 690 last.
690 last has the most arch support, followed by 4811 and then 55.
If I were to rate them on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the highest arch support).
I would say 690 is 9/10, 4811 is 8/10 and 55 would be 7/10.
It's just my personal experience.
I think I will stick with the Farmer/Rancher on the 4811--I think the toe box looks awesome.

Maybe one day I will get a Packer, but that seems like a harder one to pull off!

dogman2377

Reaction score
Bit confused...can anyone comment of difference of farmer/rancher and say Bounty Hunter style? Is it structural at all or simply cosmetic? Maybe missing something but cannot find any info from the sales jargon from While's or Bakers.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Bit confused...can anyone comment of difference of farmer/rancher and say Bounty Hunter style? Is it structural at all or simply cosmetic? Maybe missing something but cannot find any info from the sales jargon from While's or Bakers.
All the names are very confusing.
What matters is the last which is kind of like a mannequin you see in a department store. They wrap the leather/build the boot around the last. Each last has a unique proportion/shape (high or low arch, wide forefoot, larger toe box, etc).
All the confusing names are essentially a pre-built configuration. Think of all the pizzas your favorite joint has on the menu. Each one dictates all the toppings & crust etc.

The Bounty Hunter is the brainchild of Bakers Boots which is a Made To Order (MTO aka custom) Smoke Jumper that allows you to hand select every detail.

The Farmer Rancher is built on the 4811 last (larger toe box) & 8" of brown work leather sitting on the Vibram 430 mini lug sole. Also soft toe (AKA unstructured).

dogman2377

Reaction score
What matters is the last which is kind of like a mannequin you see in a department store. They wrap the leather/build the boot around the last. Each last has a unique proportion/shape (high or low arch, wide forefoot, larger toe box, etc).
All the confusing names are essentially a pre-built configuration. Think of all the pizzas your favorite joint has on the menu. Each one dictates all the toppings & crust etc.

The Bounty Hunter is the brainchild of Bakers Boots which is a Made To Order (MTO aka custom) Smoke Jumper that allows you to hand select every detail.

The Farmer Rancher is built on the 4811 last (larger toe box) & 8" of brown work leather sitting on the Vibram 430 mini lug sole. Also soft toe (AKA unstructured).
Thank you!

SonnyTheElder

Reaction score

What isn't clear to me is what last is used for the Baker's Bounty Hunter build. Is it basically a MTO Smoke Jumper on the Semi-Dress (55) last?

andy b.

Reaction score
What isn't clear to me is what last is used for the Baker's Bounty Hunter build. Is it basically a MTO Smoke Jumper on the Semi-Dress (55) last?
That's exactly what it is.

Back in the day (before White's and Baker's started customizing everything), the difference was the backstay.
On all of White's work boots there is a separate heel counter and backstay.
The Semi-Dress is a single piece of leather.

That used to be the only difference.

Now, anything goes, so it is basically what last do you want, what height, and what backstay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads