• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Casual?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Custom Casual?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What pieces would you or do you go MTM or bespoke; and what ones do you 'bum it.?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
huh?

casual, everyday
suited for everyday use; "casual clothes"; "everyday clothes"
Non suit.
ie. polos, sweaters, cords, etc.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bespoke everything! bespoke underwear!

Seriously though, I would do bespoke casual outerwear, but no bespoke sweaters or anything like that.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
bespoke everything! bespoke underwear! Seriously though, I would do bespoke casual outerwear, but no bespoke sweaters or anything like that.
I think that it comes down to price at the end of the day. I don't think that I would bespoke cords. Heck, I tried to MTM them at Borrelli and they wanted a grrr. On the other hand, if the prices were comparable and I already had a pattern, I would certainly prefer bespoke cords to RTW. I have a bespoke Saharianna in progress and it will be my first bespoke casual piece. I can't think of anything else that I would do that way. I love Giona's peacoat, but it is probably not in my future. Sweaters would also be a no. Jeans, no. Khakis, no. Casual shirts, yes.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think that it comes down to price at the end of the day. I don't think that I would bespoke cords. Heck, I tried to MTM them at Borrelli and they wanted a grrr. On the other hand, if the prices were comparable and I already had a pattern, I would certainly prefer bespoke cords to RTW.

I have a bespoke Saharianna in progress and it will be my first bespoke casual piece. I can't think of anything else that I would do that way. I love Giona's peacoat, but it is probably not in my future.

Sweaters would also be a no. Jeans, no. Khakis, no. Casual shirts, yes.

Like a hunter's jacket? -ie.Saharianna

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke shoelaces from my man in the mountains.
Delivered box-fresh first of every month.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I ever had enough money and could source the fabric, I would consider having jeans made from a cotton-wool or cotton-cashmere blend. Winter jeans. They would have to be bespoke simply because I don't know of any RTW jeans like that.

Maybe a leather jacket. I don't think I'll ever have one made, but it is one casual item I would, in theory, like to bespeak.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only special order, i.e., MTM/bespoke, that which is (or that I want to be) truly unique. While I have yet to find or want much in this realm on the casual or "play" level (except a few sportcoats that I've had MTM), I won't rule it out. As a general rule, however, I spend the most -- or seek the best -- on business and dress wear.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
bespoke underwear!
got em - made them from leftover Egyptian cotton shirt fabric. I like.

Have a bunch of casual shirts of course.

My other attempts at bespoke casual havent really gone well. At various times I made jeans and cords, shrunk like crazy on me.

Proving that local tailors Just Dont Get It, he stitched fake Levis tags into the seams and copied the Levis pocket design - typical mentality here where tailors are for people who cant afford Pierre Cardin.

Also made khakis where I wasnt happy with the tailoring (never went back to that dude).

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sweaters/knitwear you can get MTM at Loro Piana. Cucinelli also does bespoke/MTM for those type of things.

For cords, it`s a piece of cake...just ask your tailor that makes all your other pants.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
For sweaters/knitwear you can get MTM at Loro Piana. Cucinelli also does bespoke/MTM for those type of things.

For cords, it`s a piece of cake...just ask your tailor that makes all your other pants.

Really? I had no idea you could get MTM sweaters from LP/Cucinelli. How much of a premium do they charge? I'm skinny and I have a lot of trouble finding nice sweaters that don't look really baggy on me.

In response to the OP, I don't really do casual. I own neither jeans, nor cords, although I have nothing against the latter. I prefer to wear a sports jacket every day, and those I do bespoke on occasion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads