• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
Out of interest, does anyone have any pictures to share of an Islay running Double Leather soles or Flat Welt? I’d be interested to see the aesthetics…

This was my inspiration / model photo for a Navy Cordovan Lindrick run we did last year…

IMG_2983.jpeg

Moostyle

Reaction score
Lindrick I get, I’m wearing a black pair today on DL, but with the standard storm welt. Lindrick are that bit sleeker a design. I am very intrigued to see what an Islay might look like trying to pull off a more refined aesthetic.
The Islay is by any reasonable standards a refined aesthetic... it is sleek and fitted at the heel and sides and it just has a broader and more rounded toe which makes it a lot more comfortable than the average boot for those with wider forefeet.

I have a Harlech which is "sleeker" on the 341 last but requires an increase of half a size to fit like the 365 last which makes it significantly longer.

IMO the 365 in the best last C&J has for that elusive blend of looks and comfort. It's my Goldilocks last.

adrs1157

Reaction score
The Islay is by any reasonable standards a refined aesthetic... it is sleek and fitted at the heel and sides and it just has a broader and more rounded toe which makes it a lot more comfortable than the average boot for those with wider forefeet.

I have a Harlech which is "sleeker" on the 341 last but requires an increase of half a size to fit like the 365 last which makes it significantly longer.

IMO the 365 in the best last C&J has for that elusive blend of looks and comfort. It's my Goldilocks last.
Agreed. 365 does look heavier with the storm welt, but it's a gorgeous shape. Way nicer than Alden Barrie.

Honestly, for me it's just a personal preference. With wingtips I have an overwhelming preference for leather outsoles and flat welts. It's got enough going on without the extra details.

I much prefer the look and more importantly, the aging, of leather outsoles.

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
365 is a blessing for wider feet with low instep.

CJ should have a whole collection of shoes in 365 and since they have a width D variant for Japan they could easily introduce F as well. With F ppl in between sizes could size down 1/2 a size. I think they are missing on quite a lot of additional clientele not doing more on the 365 last.

I’ve posted this foto before but again the Islay on the left in 6.5 has more room for the toes than the Church’s 7G on the right.
And yet it manages to look way more sleek and cut!

Attachments

• IMG_6761.jpeg
    IMG_6761.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 84

Menninki

Reaction score
Ouch :( Stock DB grain Islay here was under £490 equivalent (including tax) here until very recently. Price has just increased but still under £540.

Unfortunately, the half bellows tongue might break the camel's back. If it puts the ex-VAT price over about £515, customs duty will be payable on arrival in Australia. Although our GST rate is 10%, from personal experience the border authorities can add in enough charges and handling fees to make it almost 25%.
I think the half bellows tongue is just spot on for the Islay, because I consider it a bit more outdoors boot. All in all, the spec for the tan Islay is perfect. I am worried as well about the final price including the VAT to EU etc. additional charges.

I added myself to the GMTO list and I will make a final call as we get a quote from C&J...

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
I think the half bellows tongue is just spot on for the Islay, because I consider it a bit more outdoors boot. All in all, the spec for the tan Islay is perfect. I am worried as well about the final price including the VAT to EU etc. additional charges.

I added myself to the GMTO list and I will make a final call as we get a quote from C&J...

If folks willing to be patient on this one until 10 or 12 participants are reached (which it will I'm sure) , then @BurgundyOxfords you can ask Alex to work on bringing down the GMTO price.

WS19

Reaction score
For sure, more than happy to be patient.

I agree that the half bellows tongue is well suited to this boot, but on those price indications (which I understand are just a guess at this stage) it becomes unviable for me because it will probably add more than $300 to the landed cost.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If folks willing to be patient on this one until 10 or 12 participants are reached (which it will I'm sure) , then @BurgundyOxfords you can ask Alex to work on bringing down the GMTO price.
Having participated in an exorbitant amount of GMTO’s here, 12 has proven to be difficult to achieve. The times when we do get 12, those participants come together very quickly. Waiting for 12 tends to be problematic, as over time people change their minds and drop off. I say if we don’t get 12 pretty quickly, go with the number 6 or whatever we have above that.

Marmite89

Reaction score
Well, it’s 8 already
My view would be if you have 8 participants ready to go, I’d move with that sooner than hang around looking to find 4 that may never materialise.
The fresher GMTO’s are easier to wrap up. If we leave it hanging it’s easy to lose 1 or 2 of the ones you’ve got and suddenly it can’t proceed at all.

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
My view would be if you have 8 participants ready to go, I’d move with that sooner than hang around looking to find 4 that may never materialise.
The fresher GMTO’s are easier to wrap up. If we leave it hanging it’s easy to lose 1 or 2 of the ones you’ve got and suddenly it can’t proceed at all.
We need a quota. there are a few ppl who are on the fence too As some active members that are not in the sheet yet had expressed tan scotchgrain Islay desires recently.
the responsible person at CJ is Alex and she is on holidays for one more week or so.

as long as we get a good quote for 8 or ten we can do that. If 10 is way better than 8 I suggest we go with 10. hope 12 is the same as 10 approx.

Last edited:

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what price is quoted for this project. No one else will deal with GMTO other than Alex at the store (as i checked)

In a C&J store this weekend (yesterday) they were enticing customers with "this is the price if you buy these shoes today, but this will the the price from monday when we have a price increase"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads