• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creases in shoes normal?

ls1dreams

Reaction score
Do these creases look normal to you, or are they an indication that the shoes are too long on me?

I was between a 9 and 9.5 for Allen Edmonds Leeds, and needed to go with the 9.5's to fit the toe-box. The shoes are just a touch long on me.

shoe-1.jpg

shoe-2.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I'd say they are fine. Use shoe trees.

+1

This is perfectly normal.
Using shoe trees between wearings will minimize creasing and help to prevent deep creasing.
Remember also to apply (sparingly) leather lotion about once per month to keep the leather supple and pliable.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look normal to me too. It seems you don't take care of your shoes very well. Definitely need to use Tree and then shoe cream/condition ever so often.

ls1dreams

Reaction score
These shoes have actually only being worn 2 times.

Shoe trees are kept in them at all times they are not worn, so it's not that.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea why then. Your shoe seems to fit, the widest part of your feet seems to be at the widest part of your shoes. Since the fold line for the toes looks appropriated, so it shouldn't be a fit issue.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
That looks fine to me. I'm guessing that you don't use shoe trees, and I'm suggesting that you do.

EDIT:

I just read that you DO use shoe trees and that the shoes have only been worn twice. WOW! I'm not sure what's going on with those shoes. Have you had to run to catch a train/taxi while wearing them? Do you usually sit with your heels raised and toes pressed against the floor? If your answer is yes to either of the last questions, then that could be your explanation.

redips

Reaction score
Shoes crease, but a properly fitting shoe should not crease like the ones pictured. If you are 9-9.5, but sized up to fit the toe box, then you likely have the wrong width. Width is half the sizing and yet you failed to mention it. Add an E and drop down to 8.5-9 and you won't have a canyon.

I don't understand how others failed to mention the obvious...

gnumonic

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I apparently have the same size foot as the thread author (had the same problem, picked the same size in AEs), and after 3 days I have pretty similar creasing. Then again, I don't really care - I like shoes to have character and I sort of like the creasing (SF consensus be damned).

ls1dreams

Reaction score
Yes, these are a 9.5D.

My original thought was to go wider because the length of the 9 fit me great, but when I went to Nordstrom's the employee there measured my foot and told me that I was a clear D and that a wide would be silly.

Perhaps I was right?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
hey man its just leather, not cast iron.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
I'd suggest trying on a 9E next time.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you not get excessive creasing from a deep front to the shoe?

I have moderately flat feet and found some Loake shoes were far too deep for my feet, and had that kind of crease potential - lots of excess material over the foot.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like the creases you get when a shoe is too high volume for your foot. Try sticking in a thin insole and see if your shoes still fit. If so, use them. They'll cut down on the creasing in the future. On the other hand, they don't look bad and didn't cost a fortune so don't take it too hard.

I agree that a 9E would have been better. I my experience going up a half size and keeping width fixed results in wider (higher volume) shoe than going up a size but keeping the length constant. Also, just because you're foot measures something on a device doesn't mean that's what you take in every shoe in the world. Manufactures can stick any size they want on a shoe.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
That looks like the creases you get when a shoe is too high volume for your foot. Try sticking in a thin insole and see if your shoes still fit. If so, use them. They'll cut down on the creasing in the future. On the other hand, they don't look bad and didn't cost a fortune so don't take it too hard.

Yes that's what I was told to do with the Loakes I tried on - use a thin insole to reduce the depth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads