• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could you help me draw the line between classic and casual?

Juan

Reaction score
Which of these borderline cases would you deem still classic (be indulgent) or already casual, in your opinion?

Buckle shoes, classic or casual?

Jacket unbuttoned, classic or casual?

Jacket doesn´t match trousers, classic or casual?

Jacket matches trousers but not exactly the same fabric, classic or casual?

Jacket's lapel turned up, classic or casual?

In standing position you can see the socks, classic or casual?

Jacket with a t-shirt or thin pullover instead of with a shirt, classic or casual?

Jacket with shirt but no tie, classic or casual?

V-pullover instead of waistcoat, classic or casual?

Blue suit brown shoes, classic or casual?

Perfect classic suit with a sports synthetic mountaneering overcoat, classic or casual?

Last edited:

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Assuming that you mean conservative business dress when you say "classic" --
Buckle shoes, classic or casual?
both
Jacket unbuttoned, classic or casual?
both
Jacket doesn´t match trousers, classic or casual?
sportcoat/blazer with trousers - both
Jacket matches trousers but not exactly the same fabric, classic or casual?
This should never happen
Jacket's lapel turned up, classic or casual?
neither - just douchy
Standing still and you can see the socks? douchy
Jacket with a t-shirt or thin pullover instead of with a shirt, classic or casual?
douchy
clearly casual - please do not do this with a suit
V-pullover instead of waistcoat, classic or casual?
casual - please don't do this with a suit (I'm assuming you're referencing a v-neck sweater
Blue suit brown shoes, classic or casual?
classic
Perfect classic suit with a sports synthetic mountaneering overcoat, classic or casual?
not sure what this means, but sounds terrible

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The division you're drawing doesn't make any sense.

There's classic clothing, and then there are other styles.

There's dressy clothing, and there's casual clothing.

A big part of classic dressing is understanding relative formality levels. Some of your questions are about this. In general, good classic dressing doesn't involve big jumps in formality levels -- so no, a Gore-Tex parka with a suit is a terrible idea.

I've always spelled it "douchey."

Juan

Reaction score
The division you're drawing doesn't make any sense.

There's classic clothing, and then there are other styles.

There's dressy clothing, and there's casual clothing.

A big part of classic dressing is understanding relative formality levels. Some of your questions are about this. In general, good classic dressing doesn't involve big jumps in formality levels -- so no, a Gore-Tex parka with a suit is a terrible idea.

I've always spelled it "douchey."

"Dress up your sportswear and dress down your formal wear" Luciano Barbera

Seen in Pitti Uomo 2011:

Juan

Reaction score

Standing still and you can see the socks? douchy

clearly casual - please do not do this with a suit

socks:

I've heard that suit with no tie was common in the 70's

Thank you for your answers, nice to read I agree with many

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that classic and casual are on the opposite end of the spectrum. There are classic items that are more casual or more formal. There are also degrees of formality, so without knowing your dividing line, it's hard to answer. The Barbera quote you used may not mean quite what you think it does. The trick to what he did was that he was reasonably subtle. Wearing a synthetic overcoat with a suit and tie was not what he had in mind.

Which of these borderline cases would you deem still classic (be indulgent) or already casual, in your opinion?

Buckle shoes, classic or casual? Monkstraps are more casual than oxfords, but more formal than other things like loafers. Classic in any event

Jacket unbuttoned, classic or casual? SB is fine to unbutton; DB no. Doesn't really affect formality when seated. A bit more casual and questionable when standing (partial exception with a 3 piece suit IIRC)

Jacket doesn´t match trousers, classic or casual? Outside of daytime formalwear, matching jacket and trousers is more formal. Odd jacket and trousers is a classic look, though.

Jacket matches trousers but not exactly the same fabric, classic or casual? Neither classic nor casual. Just awful

Jacket's lapel turned up, classic or casual? Casual and awful. Avoid turning your collar up unless you are in high school and popping the collar of your polo (even then it looks bad but at least people won't care since it's more accepted)

In standing position you can see the socks, classic or casual? If you're wearing shorts, casual. If you're wearing trousers, neither. It means they are not long enough.

Jacket with a t-shirt or thin pullover instead of with a shirt, classic or casual? Casual. Works best with casual odd jackets. Be careful with this one. Not really classic IMO.

Jacket with shirt but no tie, classic or casual? More casual way to wear a sport coat and a classic casual look; awful with a suit (maybe partial exception for seersucker / linen)

V-pullover instead of waistcoat, classic or casual? Casual and works with a sport coat. Somewhat classic IMO but only with a sport coat.

Blue suit brown shoes, classic or casual? Not as formal as black shoes, but not casual either. Certainly classic.

Perfect classic suit with a sports synthetic mountaneering overcoat, classic or casual? Awful and just a bad idea

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Classic" is usually understood in this context as meaning "having stood the test of time." It's not a synonym for "formal."

Cheers,

Ac

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your premise is a complete nonsense. All the things you describe are quite normal in the appropriate circumstances and such a division is entirely artificial.

Juan

Reaction score
Your premise is a complete nonsense. All the things you describe are quite normal in the appropriate circumstances and such a division is entirely artificial.

ok, but we have here 2 different forum sections "classic menswear" and "streetwear"

I'm not sure which one I fit in

Off My Rack

Reaction score
It should be pretty obvious to you by glancing through the WAYWRN thread here and the equivalent over there. If not, then post pics here of what you wear each day, and we'll help direct you to the proper place. There are several members that cross over quite a bit, though

Juan

Reaction score
It should be pretty obvious to you by glancing through the WAYWRN thread here and the equivalent over there. If not, then post pics here of what you wear each day, and we'll help direct you to the proper place. There are several members that cross over quite a bit, though

To be honest the WAYWRN threads depress me a little bit. Sorry.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
polymshamy