• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool non-iPhone Cellular Phones

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
Slim, does Froyo impact your battery life at all? better, worse, same?

Don't really notice anything. Might be slightly incrementally better. Nothing dramatic though.

as_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I am getting a bit over four hours of constant use + about four hours of standby. If I run out, I keep a charged spare in my car.
Out of curiosity, how exactly do you go about charging up your spare? Pop the lid of your N1, replace your battery with the spare, charge it until it's full, and then switch them out again?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by as_
Out of curiosity, how exactly do you go about charging up your spare? Pop the lid of your N1, replace your battery with the spare, charge it until it's full, and then switch them out again?
Yep. Though if im using the spare, its already in the phone. Just stick it on the charger, wait a bit, swap the batteries and put it back on the charger. Considering that it's a spare and I've only had to use it three times its not that bad.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got tired of waiting for the iPhone and got the evo instead.

gotta say, this OS is pretty badass

Sent from my evo lol

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the few current phone designs I like:

414ZyZGhLWL._SS400_.jpg

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a blackberry pearl. Can't remember the model number, but it's recent/current.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
bleh after several hours i finally managed to root my evo and flash damagecontrol onto it, i have free tethering now, i haven't explored the other features yet

the new OTA that came on my phone which was released on 6/29 patched up the loophole that enabled people to root their phone so the new system downgrades and then roots and it took me forever to figure it out because i kept getting different error messages

that being said, this phone is a whole new level of awesome

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest any one of these phones?

1 \tBeyond E-Tech Duet D8 \t
2 \tSamsung Eternity SGH-A867 \t
3 \tSamsung Blue Earth \t
4 \tSamsung SGH-G800 \t
5 \tSamsung Soul \t
6 \tSamsung Impression SGH-A877 \t
7 \tSamsung Innov8 \t
8 \tSamsung SGH-a107 GoPhone (AT&T) \t
9 \tBeyond E-Tech Duet D888 \t
10 \tSamsung SGH-T229 \t

The Blue Earth is interesting with the solar powered charger, but I'm not sure how effective that would be.

StylenotFashion

Reaction score
Maybe you guys can pull me out of the 'dark ages'.
I have a DINC and I've been loving it!

What does it mean, and what are the.benefits
"to root a phone" ?

What is Froyo?

Thanks

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StylenotFashion
What does it mean, and what are the.benefits
"to root a phone" ?

You unlock the phone, and have administrative access to and can alter all files and folders.
It allows you to tweak the software and hardware to achieve higher hardware speeds, install different user interfaces, and such.

What is Froyo?
Frozen Yogurt
smile.gif

It's the development code name for the Android 2.2 operating system. Most operating systems have an "in house" name that they go by while in the development phase. Apple's operating systems are named after cats (Tiger, Puma, Snow Leopard, etc.) Android's OS's are named after desserts. (Eclair, Froyo, etc)

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The first time I heard the word "froyo" was as a Stanford freshman - "froyo at the CoPo" - frozen yogurt was sold at the Corner Pocket cafe in the main quad. It makes sense that would be an Apple code word. I'm sure they're overridden with Stanford grads.

The real reason I'm at here is because I'm ready to become an iPhone defector. The horrible ******* reception/network problems are driving me away. A significant number of my calls are dropped every day, and incoming calls often go straight to my voicemail. I'm starting to look at the HTC Evo, Incredible and the Nexus One.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just installed Android 2.2 on my HTC Touch Pro 2. It's via a linux-based dualboot and even a monkey could install it. So far it's reall fluid (no wonder, the installer automatically overclocks the phone's cpu) and neat.

Finaly this nice piece of hardware is paired with a fitting OS. There are still some bugs they're working out (no BT [never use it], no Ringtones [I'm always on vibrate anyway],...) but it's a nice upgrade over WinMo 6.5 never the less. I'll try it for some weeks now to see how it holds up and perhaps it finally makes me hate the phone less.

http://sites.google.com/site/androidport/home

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads