• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be fine then. I wanted to point it out because i've seen some people not realize the importance of letting a mattress breath on the bottom.
smile.gif
Do appreciate the inquiry, actually wondered about it before when I put it together but forgot to ask about it.

Last edited:

twistoffat

Reaction score

I'm no SkinnyGoomba, but I spent the afternoon putting this together and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out :)

My own design, consisting of two old IKEA Malm drawers and a bunch of plywood. It's in a student-room so creative storage is a must + not allowed to damage the walls in any way so I let the headboard extend past the bed, making room for putting up a small "wall-mounted" shelf (or several)

Would like to put up some kind of graphic/painting/poster/something over the headboard, so I'll gladly take any suggestions for what type/style.
(The room is largely whites and light plywood, except for the drawers and soon-to-be-bought bedcover which both are darkbrown, almost black)

Paint those drawer doors white....otherwise as a student where money is better invested in beer and women its okay. You could always use the head board for a few small framed pics. Nice bedside table and off you go. :)

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you can at some point double the height, so you can add pull out coat rags etc.

The traditional best-practices dorm room approach is to build a "bunk" bed that has only the upper bunk. The bottom of the bed is typically about 140 cm above the ground. This leaves enough space between the bed and the ceiling to sit up and enough space between the bed and the floor to create a comfortable space to hang out and, ah, entertain.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not allowed to damage the walls in any way (even if I repair it after) so I doubt I could go much higher without losing stability

Regarding painting the drawers, I think it'll be fine as it is once a bedcover in the same color is on. Also, the way the room is set up the bed will double as the "sofa" so a dark cover will probably look decent for longer periods of time than a white/light one would.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of the nitty gritty of my humidor build;

Hinges installed Using Brusso stop hinges. These are good, unfortunately I found something better right after the fact but not enough of an improvement to change....talking about the Neat Hinge II.

Sizing material for the tray.

Chopping dovetails for the tray.

Outside of the tray complete.

Next will be the Kimiko latticework for the bottom of the tray.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The insert is too shallow , imho. How do you maintain the seal to keep moisture in?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When are you going to start machining your own hardware to make sure it is up to par with your woodwork?

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The insert is too shallow , imho. How do you maintain the seal to keep moisture in?

It will be fine, the gap is tight enough to catch a .002" feeler gauge all around and the top clicks down closed. Taller inserts would hang up the lid and I would have to relieve them in a way that is worse at the front lip for sealing.

When are you going to start machining your own hardware to make sure it is up to par with your woodwork?

Believe it or not, once of my friends and I have discussed this, he went as far as to have a jeweler make the hardware for one cabinet. Suffice to say it is prohibitively expensive.

Hardware is one of those things that is incredibly expensive to prototype, in terms of labor, and reasobly cheap once produced at some scale....given that it isn't hand wrought copper, which is what I actually want.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Moving right along;

Finishing will take a while, but I got it started today. French polish....ugh...this is about three hours of labor...four sides to go. The finish will shrink overnight and require more build up.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh-h, that is beautiful.
IS the whole insert removable? Would love to see it. I prolly missed it somewhere in your previous posts but what kind of wood is it? What is your method for finishing? Just sandpapers? Is this shellac finish or something else?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you! The insert is fixed, but the tray is removeable. The insert is not actually glued but friction fit because the two woods (Spanish cedar and walnut) will move at different rates.

The polish is far from finished, but so far that is the result of a shellac/burnishing process. Shellac is applied into a wadded up wool pad with a cotton cover and the you burnish in until the grain is filled using pumice to help the process. Once that is completed I leveled it flat with sandpaper and then used a more diluted version of the same shellac to make the high gloss. I'll continue working it out for a few days per side to ensure that the grain does not reappear. It's a long and tedious process that I don't much enjoy, but I think a humidor deserves a shine.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you! The insert is fixed, but the tray is removeable. The insert is not actually glued but friction fit because the two woods (Spanish cedar and walnut) will move at different rates.

The polish is far from finished, but so far that is the result of a shellac/burnishing process. Shellac is applied into a wadded up wool pad with a cotton cover and the you burnish in until the grain is filled using pumice to help the process. Once that is completed I leveled it flat with sandpaper and then used a more diluted version of the same shellac to make the high gloss. I'll continue working it out for a few days per side to ensure that the grain does not reappear. It's a long and tedious process that I don't much enjoy, but I think a humidor deserves a shine.

I admire your dedication. The polishing is a torturous process, I doubt anyone enjoys it.
Do you let it air dry or do you have a drying camera?

If people knew how much time and effort is involved in finishing they would realise how ridiculously low the prices are for handmade furniture and accessories.
At least we have stores to go to for supplies and tools, how furniture makers were doing it before I don't wanna think about it....:brick:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics