• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i feel like Carlo Mollino's stuff is an interesting in between of SkinnyGoomba and Cappellini.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I know, I know--more MCM.

But it is astonishingly contemporary looking. If Jasper Morrison didn't have it to be inspired by, he would have designed something like it himself.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where is the cold rationality that is the core of all good design?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

If you have a meaningful critique, I'm happy to hear it.

I'm still trying to find out why your essential qualification for a chair is a pedestal, which you don't see when you're sitting in it, and additionally, how the ugliest chair I've ever seen somehow musters the aesthetic rationale that your pedestal qualification is predicated on. Furthermore, the living room as designer furniture showroom has had its day.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did I say I liked it merely because it is a pedestal?

I think the ideal chairs to go with the Saarinen table are those on pedestal bases because it follows the concept of the table: to clear up the visual space beneath the table that is usually cluttered with legs. It looks better from a distance and feels better when using the space. No chair legs to knock your feet into.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo, the heft of the Chair One makes it sound like a major hassle to use as a dining chair - don't you usually pull your chair in under you when sitting down at the dinner table?

Instead I would suggest this:

design-sled-base-chair-by-ludwig-mies-van-der-rohe-bauhaus-9769-3000383.jpg

A friend of mine are using these to good effect as dining chairs w/ a round table on a Tulip like base. Granted, his table top is 2 inches thick solid wood, so a bit more rustic than a Tulip top.

I realise you mentioned not requiring comfort beyond sitting down to eat, but the Brno chair is great for comfortable post dinner conversation, which may be useful, if only once in a while.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It must be my rural and very plebeian upbringing but some of the best hours of my life have been spent lingering at the dining room table. Do the beautiful people not do this? It would probably explain why they are all thin...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pio it nearly takes a cattle prod to move people from the dining table to a sitting room in my place. Not sure why, my dining chairs are not that comfortable.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully many more will realise that offering advice here isn't a waste of time.

At all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads