• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I wear dress boots in the rain and snow to work. Maybe not conservative business dress but practical.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Nice boots. I suppose this begs the question can boots ever be conservative business dress?

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Not with a capital C, I'd say. Though some chukkas and chelseas can pass in a lower c environment.

Bal boots are too unusual to pass the capital C test, IMO.

They're only unusual if when I'm sitting down though.

Otherwise, they look like normal bals.

WHat makes these less c than anything else IMO is the colour.

Hoping to rectify that with a refinish to dark oak.

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
For my purposes, the best way to do a TV fold is not to. Will is a bit more pedantic about the issue today:

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...dkerchief.html

Actually, I'm just as pedantic, but I want to appear open-minded. Anyway, Pink does a nice job above:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1081

Both the selection and the fold of a pocket square should depend on both the wearer's mood and attire. A tweed sportcoat, for example, benefits from a soft flash of bright silk and would look oppressed with a sharp white linen fold. A sleek suit, on the other hand, can be made slick by a blossom of silk.

I generally wear a "TV fold," not because I've watched too much television (for Pete's sake), but because it is the subtlest, and I prefer to save my dandy points for other flourishes like louder patterns. A well-adjusted dandy must choose his battles.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
They're only unusual if when I'm sitting down though.

Otherwise, they look like normal bals.

WHat makes these less c than anything else IMO is the colour.

Hoping to rectify that with a refinish to dark oak.

Agree on the color. Darker bal boots would be less eye grabbing than lighter. But they're still unusual, and most guys in tailored clothing probably spend the bulk of the day sitting. Hard to imagine they go entirely unnoticed.

Not trying to condemn, just talking about the capital c conservative business dress context.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Nice boots. I suppose this begs the question can boots ever be conservative business dress?

My answer to that would be no.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree on the color. Darker bal boots would be less eye grabbing than lighter. But they're still unusual, and most guys in tailored clothing probably spend the bulk of the day sitting. Hard to imagine they go entirely unnoticed.

Not trying to condemn, just talking about the capital c conservative business dress context.

No doubt - fully agree.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrt the dotted tie, SG, you are perfectly entitled to your preference, but a job interview is a 'speaking engagement' if I've ever seen one. Wrt TRINI's boots, it's been snowing like crazy today, so I think they are fine. The colour is probably a bit lighter than perfect, but still well within the acceptable range. If it means that TRINI leaves the tassel loafers at home, I'd gladly endure another two months of snow.... almost.
wink.gif

Raralith

Reaction score
Interesting thread, and I'll try to contribute with a classic albiet not shapely SF silhouette:
Southwick sack suit, 3/2 roll, undarted, very little waist suppression
SM Black Captoes

CBD103-23-2011.jpg

CBD203-23-2011.jpg

CBD303-23-2011.jpg

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dot ties would fly unnoticed in most parts. Huge circles, not so much.

I wear boots every time it rains. I don't even think about it; I reach for them. If I saw a dude in the office with soaked loafers, I'd begin to judge his intelligence.

MoK, don't mind the tie, just wish it was a bit more matte. Also agree that it'd look better with a solid suit.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Pretty much as close to conservative business dress as I get, except...single breasted peak lapels
frown.gif
DSCF0752%20%282%29.jpg

I assume both the suit and tie are dark navy? It is hard to tell on my monitor. Of course, it can be hard to tell in real life!
Originally Posted by gdl203
See, I think this looks too formal. If I saw you walking around in this outfit, I'd think you were going to a wedding, a dinner or a funeral, not to work.
While I quite like the look, I have to agree with this, especially if I saw someone wearing it during the day.. Except I would definitely assume they were going to a funeral. Wearing it to a wedding could be viewed as a sort of sartorial protest. The mother-in-law of a friend of mine wore black to his wedding and he is still pissed off about it. Anyway, I think this would be slightly better (and more conservative business dress in that it would not draw any "where are you going?" comments) with a wine-colored tie, preferably not solid. But still, very nice.
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
A grey day.. Is this conservative business dress?
110323014.jpg
This is not a safety pin. It is a stock pin. Traditionally used with a stock tie, it has equestrian connections. The larger question is, why are you stabbing an innocent tie to death that never did you any harm?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Aren't balmoral boots technically more formal than shoes? Like the phrase "suited and booted". I am sure there is a military context to it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Aren't balmoral boots technically more formal than shoes?
Maybe pre WWI.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads