• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cologne for an aspiring young gentleman

Snew

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Everyone wears what other people like. In your mind, is it a coincidence that every man happens to like the wearing suits? I'd wear sweatpants every day if it was up to me. So would you (whether you're willing to accept that or not is a different story, I suppose).

It's such nonsense that people advocate originality as important; if I literally copied the style of similar to me down to the smallest detail, no one would ever know. People are not mind readers, and although I'll readily admit on the internet that I'm faking it, the only difference between me and you is admitting it. I think it's pretentiousness that keeps people who know about style from recognizing that a well thought out style can reasonably fit many, and that with a few general details about someone you can say quite a lot about what they can do that will be well-received.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everyone wears what other people like. In your mind, is it a coincidence that every man happens to like the wearing suits? I'd wear sweatpants every day if it was up to me. So would you (whether you're willing to accept that or not is a different story, I suppose).

It's such nonsense that people advocate originality as important; if I literally copied the style of similar to me down to the smallest detail, no one would ever know. People are not mind readers, and although I'll readily admit on the internet that I'm faking it, the only difference between me and you is admitting it. I think it's pretentiousness that keeps people who know about style from recognizing that a well thought out style can reasonably fit many, and that with a few general details about someone you can say quite a lot about what they can do that will be well-received.
well what you're not understanding is that there are many different ways to do a "suit". Btw, seemingly very few people "like" to wear suits, but they instead do so because they have to. I wear suits because I look good in a suit. I don't think I will be cooler, better looking, or more attractive to women because I'm wearing a suit. I also like tweed. Most people my age could barely spell tweed. But I like it, so I wear it.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You seem to know what you're talking about. I don't think the level of customization you suppose is necessary, though - I smell like nothing, so I don't need a smell to go with my smell. I just need help picking a mainstream brand that will make it seem like I know something about cologne (or Eau du Toilettes, which I thought were the same thing until just now). As far as what I think I should smell like...I have no idea, nor could I have any idea. I gave a pretty detailed description of what I'm going for; do you have any specific advice for me that allows me to forego unnecessary effort learning about scents myself?
I don't really know all that much. I just know what I like. I suspect what you don't realize is that you do smell like something...even if it's only soap. You may not be able to smell yourself...we get used to smells and don't notice them anymore...but you smell like something to others. But while fragrances differ in very fundamental ways from clothes, they are similar in one respect--they express something of yourself...or should. I am a boot and shoemaker, I like the smell of leather. Some leather is tanned with tree bark, and I turn wood as a hobby...I like the smell of wood. I like single malt scotch and peat reek (smoke) and I smoked a pipe (Balkan Sobrannie) for many years...I like the smell of tobacco and whisky and wood smoke. These are aspects of my life and have been for over 40 years. In a very real sense they represent my passions and my attitudes and my day-to-day interests. I don't think you can choose a fragrance based on an event. For one thing, many of the better fragrances will last 6-8 hours and some will still be there after 24 hours and a shower. I think you kind of choose a fragrance based on how you feel that day. So if I'm feeling a little anti-social I have an EdT that smells like I've been up all night drinking Lagavulin and playing poker with Humphrey Bogart--Fumidus by Profumum. Or one that smells like sweat and celery (and people either love it or hate it)--Yatagan by Caron. And another that was reputedly favoured by both Humphrey Bogart and Winston Churchill--vintage Tabarome by Creed. One that is all wood smoke and fireplace--Eau du Fier by Annick Goutal. And of course, vintage English Leather...the one I liked the most when I was in college. I've even mixed that with some birch oil to get what I think Russia calf would smell like...seeing as how it was curried with birch oil. The interesting thing is that you can purchase samples, splits and decants (some of which are not available in the US) on the internet for very little money. That lets you explore your own tastes and work up a selection for seasons or moods or day/night or even situations. Better yet when Christmas comes around you can give your wife or girlfriend a decant of some famous parfum that would ordinarily cost $600.00 an ounce for less than $50.00 or so. Maybe even give her several.

Last edited:

div25sec9

Reaction score
Go into a shop and get some assistance!

Fragrance is a personal purchase. What works for one person might not work for you. You don't want to drop $100 or more on a fragrance you might not like after wearing just because you read on a forum that it worked for someone else. You need a salesperson to guide you to a subset of their offerings that match what style you are looking for. You can then decide based on which one smells the best to you and what is in your price range.

You also need to try some on. Your body chemistry also influences how a fragrance works with you. It might not smell the same on you as it does on the sample card or on someone else. Ask for some of the take home samples. Wear them for a few days and you'll be able to tell if it's the right purchase for you; both based on your own experience and as well from the feedback from others. The opinion of some hot girl in one of your college classes will be worth more than all our opinions combined. Go out and experience some.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
If you wear Creed you have to live up to it.

jk2317

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're going to get it wrong. So I say get the three you mentioned earlier. If you're going to screw this up, you may as well not spend too much time thinking about it.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If and when I wear cologne at all it's Truefit & Hill Trafalgar. I chose it because there is a complementary soap, and because it is blue.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Eh, I appreciate the effort but you'll probably have to spend a few outings smelling around and finding a few that work for you....

my rec's?
Something from Hermes or Chanel are never out of place no matter the event. Try Hermes Concentree D'Orange Vert, it's my go to for anything from class to meetings. basically oranges, herbs, wood and leather.
Maybe try Guerlain's L'Instant? it's a dry warm cocoa powder scent, subtle but sophisticated.

if you find you're interested in niche stuff, then look at theperfumedcourt and order a bunch of samples to try out. also follow the thread Scent Of The Day in the health and body section to see the common/popular ones (amongst a very skewed group though :embar:). Lastly if you're actually interested in this stuff then check out basenotes.net forums...

ps - PLEASE don't be 'that dude', the one who constantly has his nose in the air becuase he wears shirts with buttons to class and a car coat. You'll be secretly laughed at by your peers. the trick is to be just a little different, not alienating.

Last edited:

Snew

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Eh, I appreciate the effort but you'll probably have to spend a few outings smelling around and finding a few that work for you....
my rec's?
Something from Hermes or Chanel are never out of place no matter the event. Try Hermes Concentree D'Orange Vert, it's my go to for anything from class to meetings. basically oranges, herbs, wood and leather.
Maybe try Guerlain's L'Instant? it's a dry warm cocoa powder scent, subtle but sophisticated.
if you find you're interested in niche stuff, then look at theperfumedcourt and order a bunch of samples to try out. also follow the thread Scent Of The Day in the health and body section to see the common/popular ones (amongst a very skewed group though
shog[1].gif
). Lastly if you're actually interested in this stuff then check out basenotes.net forums...
ps - PLEASE don't be 'that dude', the one who constantly has his nose in the air becuase he wears shirts with buttons to class and a car coat. You'll be secretly laughed at by your peers. the trick is to be just a little different, not alienating.

I've also checked out basenotes; I feel as though their go-to scents are either far too expensive, out of the ordinary, and/or mature for my purposes. I'm compiling a list of common suggestions and I plan to go to the mall with a good friend to see what they've got.

As for my overall style...it's not like I'm wearing a full suit and tie to class and a full length, double breasted pea coat in the winter. A dress shirt or button up and slacks is perfectly acceptable and I am not the only one who does it (about 25% dress as I do or more formally, 25% wear slacks/polo, and 50% are slobs who don't give a **** [sweatpants and a faded T shirt to law school? Really?]). A 3/4 length, single breasted coat is sporty and fits the rest of my ensemble, anyway.

Snew

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My last post has been waiting for a moderator's approval for the last day. I don't know if it's going to go through...

Anyway, what do you guys think about Paco Rabanne's 1 million? I love how the bottle looks...is it a good scent, and if so, for what occasion?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My last post has been waiting for a moderator's approval for the last day. I don't know if it's going to go through...

Anyway, what do you guys think about Paco Rabanne's 1 million? I love how the bottle looks...is it a good scent, and if so, for what occasion?
Strictly a club scent, it smells like candy bubble gum, i personally don't care for it. But i hear it works for the younger crowd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads