• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cognitive Dissonance: "Timeless wool overcoat" vs "Leather buttons are so outdated"

Would you wear an overcoat with leather buttons?

• Yes

Votes: 36 97.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. I don't understand how cognitive dissonance fits in with this.
2. That coat doesn't look very dated.
3. If it was classic it would be a lot longer.
4. Was this old man a stocky midget?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your threads just don't get the response they used to. Bummer.

They are becoming too "normal" and almost boring. Reevolving, you need to get off the new medication and back on the old stuff :slayer:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a Reevolving thread. Pretty much all of his threads are just to stir up the crowd.

And he never really failed at it. Pretty good at it in fact. What amuses me just as much as Reevs lame threads is how long they always get with all the whining about it. :laugh: fun times.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

....the stacked wooden heel look is a great look,
but does not work with lug soled boots
Also, you don't seem to understand what the stacked wooden heel look actually is.
This is a proper example of the stacked wooden heel look ... HTH

He's making fun of you; the heel isn't wood, it's leather, and calling it a wood heel makes you look like a moron.

Nice shoe though.

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. I don't understand how cognitive dissonance fits in with this.
2. That coat doesn't look very dated.
3. If it was classic it would be a lot longer.
4. Was this old man a stocky midget?

I didn't say the coat looks dated, I said the buttons do.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a bad coat. The length is not doing it for me. Too short to be classic (should be just above the knee or just below knee, more or less). Too long to be fashiony. Looks very 1997 to me.

Not that it's bad or anything - just doesn't rock.

The buttons are fine - and even if they are not just replace them and move on.

In other words - nice try Reev. But this threak just doesn't have the 'legs' of some of your previous efforts.

Keep on keepin' on tho. I'm sure pure genius is just around the corner for you.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Poll: Would you wear a vintage overcoat with leather buttons? (Answer above)
2a77olu.jpg

A dapper older gentleman I know handed down to me one of his classic wool overcoats.
I must say, it's a damn good coat. It is twice as heavy and thick as my current "stylish" overcoat.
I thanked him b/c I know I will get some use out of it, as temperatures drop for winter.
This coat has leather buttons. I believe they are not SF approved, as they are outdated
(....along with other random fashion trends like long jackets, low gorges, and wide ties)
I then realized I had another installment of Cognitive Dissonance on my hands!
The idea of one gentleman passing along his heirloom jacket to the next generation is the ultimate in steam-punk wet-dream romanticism found on SF.
The groupthink adherence to stylish & current fashion trends is another.
So, please answer the poll above...
Other classic Cognitive Dissonance threads by Reev:
Cognitive Dissonance: "I Love My Classic Vintage Harris Tweed" Vs. "Jackets With A Low Gorge...
http://www.styleforum.net/t/268024/...a-low-gorge-are-embarrassingly-outdated/0_100
Cognitive Dissonance: "Logos Are Tacky" Vs. "My Timeless Designer Sunglasses Have A Prominent Logo"
http://www.styleforum.net/t/267506/...signer-sunglasses-have-a-prominent-logo/0_100
Cognitive Dissonance: "Polo = Prole/Hiphop/Outlet Brand" Vs. "Ralph Lauren/RLPL Is Not"
http://www.styleforum.net/t/272802/...utlet-brand-vs-ralph-lauren-rlpl-is-not/0_100

Publish a photo of your conundrum which can actually be seen. Your picture looks like a biological sample.
Only then would be able to respond to your query.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics