• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheapest decent, modern-fitting suit.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I start my first real job in a few weeks and need to buy a couple of staple suits.

Until I can save up for some decent pieces, are there any decent, base-line suits that fit well and garner at least a modicum of respect from the sartorialist? At this stage the cheaper the better (i.e. $300 max a piece); I live in Toronto.

P.S. I'm your average 40R in case you have something in mind.

Pashukanis

Reaction score
For this price range obviously you aren't going to be getting top of the line stuff, but I would highly recommend RW&CO.

I was just at the one in the Eaton Centre and they have at least 5 different varieties of suits for crazy cheap ($168 for jacket - $60 pants). A few of the linen suits are on for half that! The suits are extremely nice for the price and I would suggest getting them altered to fit better if need be. They sell the jackets/pants separately so you can mix/match.

I have two suits from them and they look nice. In Toronto (where I live as well) I haven't found a better suit for the price - and if you do please share.

hootdocta5

Reaction score
For that price range, the tommy hilfiger slim fit suits are pretty good. You can find them on sale for around 200. The one I have fits so well that I almost prefer it even to my more expensive suits. I'm sure someone will tell you H&M, I haven't had much luck with finding an H&M suit that fits decent. Whatever you do, do not get an alfani suit. They are the absolute worst and they all seem to have this wierd crease action on the upper sleeve near the shoulder seam.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have H&M there? That fits your price range perfectly. Also 40R is one of the most popular size, so you find a nice one on eBay at just a little more than $300.

bunnyoswaldo

Reaction score
I'd recommend this: Go used. Any OTR suit you buy will have to be tailored to fit. If you go a most department stores or Men's Horrorhouse or any other such place, you will get a salesmen fitting and a poor tailoring. For example, I found the following on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HICKEY-FREEMAN-G...item5d298a5f73

A genuine Hickey-Freeman. The buy it now is $135 and $15 to ship. If the suit fits your general dimensions, the sleeves and suit collar can be alterred, the pants hemmed and the whole shebang, by a REAL tailor, probably for less than $100. So you then have a $1000 suit for $250 or less. When I got out of lawschool years ago I had like 2 cents and I bided my time and went thrifting. A friend of mine knew clothes so I knew what to look for. As a member here, you can look up makes and ask opinions on fit, brand, color, cut...etc....

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I never really considered looking into the mall brands. Are these dependable enough for daily use?

I was hoping there was a well-known cachet of slightly "lesser" quality decent suits on eBay I might look into...like the Hickey Freeman bunnyoswaldo posted (thanks for that! and for the PM). I don't mind going used, but I'm always hesitant because I have no idea how to gauge the age of a jacket by its styling, tags, etc.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunnyoswaldo
I'd recommend this: Go used. Any OTR suit you buy will have to be tailored to fit. If you go a most department stores or Men's Horrorhouse or any other such place, you will get a salesmen fitting and a poor tailoring. For example, I found the following on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HICKEY-FREEMAN-G...item5d298a5f73

A genuine Hickey-Freeman. The buy it now is $135 and $15 to ship. If the suit fits your general dimensions, the sleeves and suit collar can be alterred, the pants hemmed and the whole shebang, by a REAL tailor, probably for less than $100. So you then have a $1000 suit for $250 or less. When I got out of lawschool years ago I had like 2 cents and I bided my time and went thrifting. A friend of mine knew clothes so I knew what to look for. As a member here, you can look up makes and ask opinions on fit, brand, color, cut...etc....

Although Hickey Freeman are great suits, I would stay away from the Wool/Polyester blend suits.

For a first suit, I would recommend getting an OTR suit locally rather than purchasing from ebay.

Although your jacket size is 40R, your height, weight and body type is important in getting the right suit for you.

prepidemicmagazine

Reaction score
if you can locate a good consignment shop, you might be able to get a very lightly used high end suit for just in your price range. if you come down to new york, check out INA or Gentlemen's Resale.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
i don't think you can find anything really decent under 300 list price. you'll have to try and get something on sale.

not sure what options exist in toronto, but here in the US, boss and varvatos star USA suits on sale sometimes go on sale at the 350 or so mark. ben sherman should also do it for you. these are not great suits, but they have a contemporary cut, are decently made, and will look perfectly respectable.

if you can expand your budget to 400, i suspect many more options will open up, and the increase in cost will be well worth it. otherwise, i'm afraid you will end up with garbage that you will forever regret.

try yoox as well -- buy a bunch and if they don't fit, send them back.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
Although Hickey Freeman are great suits, I would stay away from the Wool/Polyester blend suits.

For a first suit, I would recommend getting an OTR suit locally rather than purchasing from ebay.

+1 on both; also, most H-F does not qualify as "modern-fitting"...

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$300 in Toronto. Is that $300 US or $300 CAD?

I'm not sure $300 CAD will get you what you want... Heck, not even sure $300 US would get you what you want. Try Wizard of Aahs on ebay for cheap & decent. Again, not sure if its in your price range.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
$300 in Toronto. Is that $300 US or $300 CAD?

I'm not sure $300 CAD will get you what you want... Heck, not even sure $300 US would get you what you want. Try Wizard of Aahs on ebay for cheap & decent. Again, not sure if its in your price range.

C$300 = US$312

Suit Supply has great cuts starting from GBP200 = C$300 (and the GBP200 includes all taxes). They're in London UK though, not sure if they would ship.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone.

I thought $300 would be plenty for the eBay market. I have no problem purchasing online.

For this record, this would be my third suit. I own two Boss suits from previous years, but they're fairly heavy and more suitable for winter. I also need to get them re-cut, as my body shape has changed since I purchased them (6 years ago?).

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a nice Zegna Trofeo black suit on the B+S for about $300.

Is it a no-no to wear a black suit to work? They look so...funerary.

minervau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
There's a nice Zegna Trofeo black suit on the B+S for about $300.

Is it a no-no to wear a black suit to work? They look so...funerary.

That opens up a whole other can of worms. Quick answer: don't do it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zappa