• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I very highly disagree.
You just can't compare a 200hp V6 to a 518hp Bi-Turbo V8 and say the AMG is no better. You just can't.

I mean baring any trim and equipment upgrades (I don't actually know what an AMG spec consists of outside of the performance upgrades).

I stand by the fact that climbing from 50mph to 70 mph 1.1 seconds (or what ever) faster makes such a small amount of difference in your daily life that forking over $60,000 extra to do it is more about "being able to" than anything else. I've personally never missed a set of lights because my 0-60 speed was only 6 seconds instead of 4. Maybe you have crazy fast lights where you live?

EDIT: I should make it clear that if I had the cash I'd buy an AMG/RS/M version of a saloon in a heartbeat, but it wouldn't be because I believed that each time I floored it it was worth $5,000 in cash. It would be because I want the best, no matter the cost.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Isn't that why the GTR is so damn heavy?

I don't know, but if I had to guess, it would be the AWD system and that car's sheer size that makes it so heavy. I doubt they added weight to make it handle better --- weight usually has the opposite effect.

Last edited:

KurtS90

Reaction score
Most of my short driving career has been in cars with 350-500 horse power. I had way more fun in a 50 horsepower car :slayer:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't know, but if I had to guess, it would be the AWD system and that car's sheer size that makes it so heavy. I doubt they added weight to make it handle better --- weight usually has the opposite effect.

I remember the designed comparing it to F1 cars, since the GTR can't achieve such speeds at corners that forces downforce for better grip on the tires, the GTR was meant to be heavy so that there are more tire contact to the ground, hence better grip. I'll see if I can find the vid/article.

JuyLe

Reaction score
To me that sound alone is worth a few grands

But if you start thinking about the point of expensive sports cars to go from A to B might as well buy a Diesel VW Passat Estate and forget about this whole debate (I'm slightly exaggerating but you get the point).

Edit: This sounds even better
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c33wnxuxAKg&feature=relmfu

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I dont know that much about Mercedes really, is it worth the money?

Every time TG has had a 63 amg on the program it has destroyed at least 1 set of tires, as it just wants to throw it's ass around, so I highly suspect that a 700hp version wont be any better.

It seems to be the consensus on here that MB interior are ****.

Regarding if the tuning and styling is worth it, no it's not you will never get your tuning styling money back and how useful is a carbon body?

If it was me I would get a standard one with designo seats, lower it, put some wheels on it and maybe a remap or a MB AMG package, job done. ADV1 has a nice white one on their website.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I mean baring any trim and equipment upgrades (I don't actually know what an AMG spec consists of outside of the performance upgrades).
I stand by the fact that climbing from 50mph to 70 mph 1.1 seconds (or what ever) faster makes such a small amount of difference in your daily life that forking over $60,000 extra to do it is more about "being able to" than anything else. I've personally never missed a set of lights because my 0-60 speed was only 6 seconds instead of 4. Maybe you have crazy fast lights where you live?

EDIT: I should make it clear that if I had the cash I'd buy an AMG/RS/M version of a saloon in a heartbeat, but it wouldn't be because I believed that each time I floored it it was worth $5,000 in cash. It would be because I want the best, no matter the cost.

I agree that most people look at power and speed that they are not able to use in the streets (legally anyways) but there is some sense and feeling in hearing a turbo V8 or a carving up a corner as fast as precise as you can. It isn't all about the straight line, you aren't going to race people on the street every time a red light turns green. It's hard to explain but the driving experience is just different, having that much power on your feet is unique. The engineering and all the work that comes with it. I am not talking about overtaking other cars or beating that light before it turns red, that isn't what these cars are about.

It's like buying a Patek, sure a $30 Timex quartz will keep a more accurate time but a Patek is a handcrafted work of art and you buy not simply because it keeps time. No doubt there's some prestige that is attached to these names and is a way of saying "I have arrived" but to some it is simply more than that.

JuyLe

Reaction score
From what I have seen/read it is fun on the track but yes you will need a friend working a Pirelli if you don't want to spend all your money on tires and it far from being the fastest cars in that price bracket laptime wise. But the noise.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

but there is some sense and feeling in hearing a turbo V8 .

have you ever heard a high HP V8, V10 or V12 crawling through small city streets. :worship2:

There was a tuned C5 RS6 in Copenhagen a while back, which you could hear growl about 500m away. :inlove:

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well well I dont have a Mercedes but that one sure looks good anyways! Could drive it that's the main point
bigstar[1].gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

have you ever heard a high HP V8, V10 or V12 crawling through small city streets. :worship2:
There was a tuned C5 RS6 in Copenhagen a while back, which you could hear growl about 500m away. :inlove:

It's orgasmic, even the V8 Vantage sounds pretty damn good.

And just to add to my earlier ranting (if you consider that as one), at the end of the day though, these are not reasonable cars. You don't purchase it just because it gets you from A to B a few seconds faster. If you want something that will just get you from one place to the other and maybe save a few bucks on gas, then these cars aren't made for you.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think anyone who isn't really into cars will ever buy a AMG, M or RS car, as most people don't get them, unless you are a ballplayer etc. and you just go into the dealer ship and buys the most expensive thing they have.

When ever I stop and look at one or point one out, to someone who isn't in to cars, they just look at me like idiot and walk away.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't think anyone who isn't really into cars will ever buy a AMG, M or RS car, as most people don't get them, unless you are a ballplayer etc. and you just go into the dealer ship and buys the most expensive thing they have.
When ever I stop and look at one or point one out, to someone who isn't in to cars, they just look at me like idiot and walk away.

Double negative is confusing. Are you saying most car enthusiast or non-car enthusiast?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope I'm saying only car enthusiast will buy a M, RS or AMG, as they seem pointless to everyone else.

Around my parts this is completely false.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads