• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

career / tactical advice needed

lynchpatrickj

Reaction score
Me: 30 years old, with a late-earned liberal arts degree behind me, and having a fairly late start in the grown-up work world. I've spent the past 5 years working as a sysadmin and solution engineer, and don't see any prospect of advancement at my current job. My IT related skillset is fairly weak compared to the market, and as a result, I've noticed that generally only crappy or small-time firms will consider my resume - though I generally get offers once we do meet.

I'm not thrilled about spending the next decade working at the bottom-middle of IT, but I'm not sure what to transition to, or how to pull it off - project management, business analysis, sales engineering, and straight-up sales all have an appeal to me.

I suspect some of you gentlemen have trod this path already - care to share your story?

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you feel that sales would appeal to you, and that you would be good at it, that might be worth looking into. Sales is usually pretty straightforward and the barriers to entry are often low because the turnover is high.

IT sales (software or hardware) might be a good place to look if you have a background in IT. Try to look for companies with strong growth potential in front of them and see if you can get on as a sales rep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads