• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on emotional caregiving?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone in here have any sage advice for me? I feel like this is a shortcoming of mine and I'm curious if anyone has any insights or experience which might help me develop this skill a little more.

I'm starting to settle into my role as the pater familias and overall I'm proud of how I've grown as a person to take on additional responsibilities and provide stability and support to my family. However, I'm finding that I am less than helpful when family members need help on a purely emotional level. My wife has many wonderful qualities, but emotional stability/toughness is not one of them. My mother is starting to show a great deal of emotional strain as she gets older, and I'm sure that my son will need emotional support from me while he grows up.

I'm great at giving advice, pep talks, talking things through, calming people down, taking on additional tasks or other work, but I suck at being a shoulder to cry on. For example, my aging mother is trying her very best to get my 2 dependent adult sibling situated into stable long-term housing. Dealing with the two of them in addition to the stress she has taken on by trying to manage the purchase/renovation and sale of a couple of properties has made her fairly despondent. I know she is hurting but when I am talking with her and she starts complaining like things are hopeless or just seems to want to have a pity party, I shut down emotionally and immediately want to hang up or leave the situation.

I understand that people process things in different ways and some people just need to vent - I'm fine at listing to people vent/*****, but when that turns to self-pity or extreme negativity I experience what I've come to identify as repulsion. Objectively I understand that some people just have to cry it out and all that, but I have such a visceral response to it that prevents me from helping them. Aside from supporting these people by encouraging them to seek other help or forms of self-care, is there anything I can do?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think the first step is you are aware of your limitations which not everyone is. I find it tough to "just be there" as I'm a fixer and a doer. If someone is just looking for...whatever...it's hard for me to be that person. If you have a problem, want to vent and are looking for actions to take, I'm your guy. I've learned to throttle impulses to offer advice and fixes and just make non-committal noises in such situations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads