• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying used shoes

alladin

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to ask how panel forum members feel about buying used shoes? I've always bought new shoes, however sometimes see very nice shoes being offered for sale, however, they have been worn lightly. Would this be a big no no as the shoe has already moulded to the original owners foot? I'd appreciate your comments, many thanks.

Reaction score
Yes, while buying used is not recommended by most, I have had much success doing so. I have bought 3 pairs of AE's on eBay, all fit and look well. Not to mention, they were each under $80. Just know your size and always ask questions if in doubt.

I don't see a huge problem buying shoes that were only worn a few times by a previous owner.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
If they'd been worn lightly, I'd be open to them if the price was right. If they were obviously heavily worn, however, I'd probably rule it out categorically. I just wouldn't feel comfortable buying a pair that someone has potentially abused, stored without shoe trees, etc.

Styk33

Reaction score
Most of the well used shoes are poorly maintained (shoe trees rarely used and polished once a year). I buy used shoes to wear in situations when the shoe can be damages and it will not matter much. At $30-80 if I get three or four wears out of the shoe I am happy.

If you find something that is lightly used like others stated, you can find a good deal. Sometimes folks buy the wrong last because they did not know there was a difference between shoes that are labeled the same size. They wear the shoes a half dozen times and decide to sell them.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More than 25% of my shoe/boot collection was purchased pre-owned. Look for little wear and you ought be fine.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you have the patience, and are confident you can re-sell the shoes for about the same amount you bought them at, it's worth a try. Usually the more wear a pair of shoes has, it less likely it'll fit you well. The amount of wear is more important than the age of the shoes in my experience.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And even if you get used AEs that are beat up, if you get them for cheap enpugh and send them in for recrafting, you're still ahead of the game/

I have no issues buying pre-owned shoes. Most of my better shoes are.

AntonioB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
And even if you get used AEs that are beat up, if you get them for cheap enpugh and send them in for recrafting, you're still ahead of the game/

I have no issues buying pre-owned shoes. Most of my better shoes are.

I have done this many times before also. I bought preowned shoes and had them recrafted and it turned out very well.

Chim12

Reaction score
Looks like consensus is, and I too agree, that if there's little wear and you're getting a good deal it's a good way to go. I've purchased Santoni's from e-bay and Magli's here, I love them both

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the upside, it's usually a safer bet to buy expensive models.
Playing the odds, an owner of expensive shoes probably owns so many shoes that each pair gets little wear, and the owner has simply grown bored of them. Shoes like this are the best finds.
Little wear and extremely clean.

The most important downside to used shoes,
is that the person owned less, wore them more, or possibly may have had a foot fungus.
Athelete's Foot can stay dormant in the shoes. So can mould.
Both can and will re-activate with a new wearer's foot moisture.
When browsing ads online, look for a photo that shows the insides of the shoes.
You can always tell if the person wore them without socks, in which case I avoid those.
Any seller that won't show you the insides, or conceals it with shoe trees may be hiding something.

I've been burned a few times before I learned to pay very close attention.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mental issue. Cannot do. Wish I could though, considering some of the stunning vintage shoes members here have bought and reconditioned (especially old shell cordovan).

~ H

bapelolol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
On the upside, it's usually a safer bet to buy expensive models.
Playing the odds, an owner of expensive shoes probably owns so many shoes that each pair gets little wear, and the owner has simply grown bored of them. Shoes like this are the best finds.
Little wear and extremely clean.

The most important downside to used shoes,
is that the person owned less, wore them more, or possibly may have had a foot fungus.
Athelete's Foot can stay dormant in the shoes. So can mould.
Both can and will re-activate with a new wearer's foot moisture.
When browsing ads online, look for a photo that shows the insides of the shoes.
You can always tell if the person wore them without socks, in which case I avoid those.
Any seller that won't show you the insides, or conceals it with shoe trees may be hiding something.

I've been burned a few times before I learned to pay very close attention.

What do you recommend for cleaning the insides of used shoes?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
If they'd been worn lightly, I'd be open to them if the price was right. If they were obviously heavily worn, however, I'd probably rule it out categorically. I just wouldn't feel comfortable buying a pair that someone has potentially abused, stored without shoe trees, etc.

+1. No matter how good the price, its not worth it. Pay a little more for a fresh foot-bed. Pay even more for peace of mind. I'm no doctor, but the idea of using someone else's imprint to walk on bothers me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Mental issue. Cannot do. ~ H

Same here. I admire lots of used shoes that I see posted on SF and elsewhere, but I can't do it myself. The only pair of shoes I've bought from B&S were NWT, and that's the only way I'd ever purchase them.

emptym

Reaction score
I like used shoes because their cheapness lets me experiment with a particular color, style, or shape, and because good leather generally gets better with age.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads