• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying my first suit

R D K

Reaction score
That Napoli suit is on the skinny side, but young people do often dress that way nowadays, even at corporate law firms, or at M&A firms, corpfin advisory, and so forth.
I wouldn't recommend it, but I doubt it will affect your career. Maybe more likely in the States where people are so conservative; but highly unlikely in Continental Europe.

Just make sure the suit fits your shoulders first of all and that it isn't too boxy. Then make sure it isn't too short or long. Look up Phat Guido on this forum.

Don't worry about the shaved head. Look at VictorSreturn for a guy you can refer to for great style.

Got it, good advice, thanks!

doctorman

Reaction score
But that picture isn't much better than the other three, still too tight. The jacket is too tight - pulling around the button and the belt showing - and the pants are too narrow. Details like that can lower credibility at work. Tight clothes wear out (or are outgrown) faster, too.

i think i'm all the way with you on this one. they are great-looking suits with decent construction but are too progressive for a first suit. just not business conservative enough. i would wear one to xmas parties or banquets but wouldn't wear it to any formal interviews/board exam/courtroom. not at the beginning of one's career anyway.

i know a lot of people might disagree but i guess this is why everyone's got a different sense of style.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Have you read the giant SuitSupply thread? Wealth of information there.

I'm 5'11'' ~155 lbs, judging by your picture I think we have similar builds. Just finished tailoring up a 36r Sienna from SuitSupply, and the fit sounds like what you are looking for. The Sienna isn't as slim fitting as some of their other cuts like the Washington, but is still slim without being constrictive. I paid about $100 bucks to get it tailored, pants hemmed, waist taken in, sleeves lengthened and was brought in a bit in the body of the jacket.

YMMV, but if you have the ability to go to a SuitSupply store do so and see what works for you.

R D K

Reaction score
i think i'm all the way with you on this one. they are great-looking suits with decent construction but are too progressive for a first suit. just not business conservative enough. i would wear one to xmas parties or banquets but wouldn't wear it to any formal interviews/board exam/courtroom. not at the beginning of one's career anyway.

i know a lot of people might disagree but i guess this is why everyone's got a different sense of style.
Maybe it's just very different here in the Netherlands from how it is in the USA, I've been to almost every major accounting firm here (KPMG, PWC, Ernst en Young, Delloitte) and slim fits like these are almost the norm here. Anyway I still appreciate the advice, I will consult with the tailor to hear what he has to say about it.
Have you read the giant SuitSupply thread? Wealth of information there.

I'm 5'11'' ~155 lbs, judging by your picture I think we have similar builds. Just finished tailoring up a 36r Sienna from SuitSupply, and the fit sounds like what you are looking for. The Sienna isn't as slim fitting as some of their other cuts like the Washington, but is still slim without being constrictive. I paid about $100 bucks to get it tailored, pants hemmed, waist taken in, sleeves lengthened and was brought in a bit in the body of the jacket.

YMMV, but if you have the ability to go to a SuitSupply store do so and see what works for you.

Cool to hear some info from someone with a very similar build.
I will definately try on both the Sienna and the Napoli after reading your comment.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will definately try on both the Sienna and the Napoli after reading your comment.

You're young, fit, and Dutch! You should be dressing like the SuitSupply pictures, not like conservative Americans! I spend lots of time at banks, law firms and other businesses every day here in Germany's business capital. Take your style cues from what you see around you, not the other side of the ocean. :)

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're young, fit, and Dutch! You should be dressing like the SuitSupply pictures, not like conservative Americans! I spend lots of time at banks, law firms and other businesses every day here in Germany's business capital. Take your style cues from what you see around you, not the other side of the ocean. :)

+1. This.

i think i'm all the way with you on this one. they are great-looking suits with decent construction but are too progressive for a first suit.  just not business conservative enough.  i would wear one to xmas parties or banquets but wouldn't wear it to any formal interviews/board exam/courtroom.  not at the beginning of one's career anyway. 

doctorman - too many americans are fat. just because you're in shape doesn't mean your suit is "progressive". Fit has been talked about for enough years that as long as you're not sporting a Topman pencil-thin suit with the jacket cut barely below your waist, no one is going to bat an eye. Fitted but not tight is the mark of someone in shape. But as you say, everyone's view and sense of style is different. so my general view is to find what works for your body type, what makes you feel confident, then rock the hell out of it.

doctorman

Reaction score
doctorman - too many americans are fat. just because you're in shape doesn't mean your suit is "progressive". Fit has been talked about for enough years that as long as you're not sporting a Topman pencil-thin suit with the jacket cut barely below your waist, no one is going to bat an eye. Fitted but not tight is the mark of someone in shape. But as you say, everyone's view and sense of style is different. so my general view is to find what works for your body type, what makes you feel confident, then rock the hell out of it.

you might have misunderstood my intention. i'm a big fan of suitsupply and RLBL, both of which i consider quite "progressive" and appropriate for many occasions. my point is simply, as a first suit and for someone just starting off his career, one might want to lean a little towards conservative side (in this case, a conservative side of suitsupply). this has nothing to do with fat americans.

one thing i must admit - i may not fully appreciate the cultural differences between continental europe and north america. if everyone in your firm wears suitsupply then i think you'll blend right in with a suitsupply. on the other hand, if everyone wears a brooks brothers and you, at the beginning of your career, wears a suitsupply, people might think you've got something to prove. of course, when you become the company's CEO, you can wears shorts and a t shirt to work everyday.

Jimmy D

Reaction score
This must be the third thread on this subject in the last 24 hours. Seems a little odd that so many cannot take their own decisions.

I regret that you cannot fit clothes on the Internet. A photograph of part of you in a tee shirt (nothing wrong with tee shirts) and two style names does not give any basis to start.

You need to take yourself to a bricks and mortar shop and see what fits: If it does no feel right it will not be right. Ask locally who you can trust.

Dark blue is fine for a first suit assuming it is plain.

You mights also try:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/302593/styleforum-101

You also have the option to not reply, especially if it bothers you this much. In fact, you don't even have to read the thread at all if you find it so bothersome. This may be a shocker but just because there is a thread on a given topic, doesn't mean that it answered every possible curiosity. Gasp!

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

on the other hand, if everyone wears a brooks brothers and you, at the beginning of your career, wears a suitsupply, people might think you've got something to prove. 

And sometimes the young guy has to show the old guys that he's gunnin for them. Some would argue that showing up looking suave and confident is firing the first shot.

R D K

Reaction score
You're young, fit, and Dutch! You should be dressing like the SuitSupply pictures, not like conservative Americans! I spend lots of time at banks, law firms and other businesses every day here in Germany's business capital. Take your style cues from what you see around you, not the other side of the ocean.
smile.gif
You're right :)
+1. This.
+1, this is exactly what I want as well, a suit to compliment my phisque, fitted but not tight is a very accurate description of what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

R D K

Reaction score
Ok, so I've made my choice on a dark navy blue suit.
Now I just need to know what you guys recommend as a shirt/tie combination?
I was thinking about either a white shirt with a brown or purple tie, or a light blue shirt with a navy blue tie.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads