• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Casual Newbie Needs Help!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I have made my first purchase in my endeavour, and I am pretty happy with it! I was able to snag a brand new pair (not seconds) of AE Cronmok boots in brown for $150. So I think I should be picking up at least one more pair of shoes to start, in black possibly? For those, I like the McTavish. Any opinions?
Due to the color, those Cronmoks look too casual (and boots generally are not for business in most parts of the country). The McTavish should be okay, if in dark brown or black.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
These boots are pretty casual- but the will be much better than most of the rubbish shoes you will see. For your next pair will you go more conservative?

McBindle

Reaction score
I'll agree that the boots are on the more casual side but that is what the OP is going for. Also there are many forum members who wear boots like these (Aldens or Daltons) in similar circumstances. These look like a combo of the Dalton and Fifth Street.

The point is well taken that at first glance the finish looks too casual. However, on the close-up on the site it appears that if they were polished and bulled a little on the toe and heel cup they could actually look very good and much dressier than they appear in that little photo (you are kind of buying a starter kit of a patina and you finish it with your own polish). They could come out looking like the Rutledge shoe in walnut if the official shoe care thread is studied. In my experience with AEs even one application of Saphir Reno immediately imparts a greater shine and more character.

I am with AmericanGent in wondering if the OP is considering a more conservative shoe for the next pair. Two pairs of wingtips doesn't provide much range. Maybe a Walton or something similar?

NTisinger

Reaction score
Man I sure appreciate all of the input! I do realize the boot in the lighter color may be a little casual. What would you guys recommend I use to darken them up, and the best place to get it? I have never used anything beyond Kiwi polishes and products to get a mirror finish on my boots when I was a firefighter, so this is uncharted territory for me as well. For my next pair of shoes should I get black? Or should I go with an oxblood, bourbon, or something similar? The office is more on the casual side of dress casual and I am only 28, so the wingtips seem to offer something a little more fashionable in my opinion, but I am new to this style/level of dressing as far as everyday goes. I also picked up a pair of classic fit darker grey wool slacks from Banana Republic today.

recondite

Reaction score
Boots?

Very fashion forward. Business Casual? unlikely except in artistic, techie, or out of doors setting, such as whacking a few quail.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ideas of black and non-wingtip pointed out above are worth following, though black can be skipped if nobody in the office regularly wears it. Also, black shoes call for slightly different apparel than do brown shoes.

NTisinger

Reaction score
Man I sure appreciate all of the input! I do realize the boot in the lighter color may be a little casual. What would you guys recommend I use to darken them up, and the best place to get it? I have never used anything beyond Kiwi polishes and products to get a mirror finish on my boots when I was a firefighter, so this is uncharted territory for me as well. For my next pair of shoes should I get black? Or should I go with an oxblood, bourbon, or something similar? The office is more on the casual side of dress casual and I am only 28, so the wingtips seem to offer something a little more fashionable in my opinion, but I am new to this style/level of dressing as far as everyday goes. I also picked up a pair of classic fit darker grey wool slacks from Banana Republic today.
Bump with /\, since there is about a 24 hour delay in my posts hitting the thread.

McBindle

Reaction score
NTisinger -

Here is what I would consider to be the most conservative approach to your polishing question. I don't think there would be much disagreement.

First step :
- Apply a very thin layer of Saphir Renovateur in very small circular motions to the whole shoe.
- After letting it dry for the recommended time (I think it is 5 minutes or less) buff with a horsehair brush and then a lint free cloth.
- Depending on the shine and finish achieved you might want to stop right there. This is often sufficient in itself. If not, here is the second step that can be achieved in two ways.

Second step (first method):
- Apply a very thin layer of Allen Edmonds shoe cream style polish in little swirls with your finger wrapped in a cloth to the whole shoe in one shade lighter than the shoe. This is because the shoe may darken and you can always darken a shoe further but it is much more difficult to lighten it.
- Brush with a horsehair brush and buff with a lint free cloth.
- Then apply two very thin layers in tiny swirls of Allen Edmonds neutral carnauba wax on the toe and the heel cup.
- * Do not apply wax past the flex point of the toe or else it may crack.*
- Let dry between layers and brush with horsehair brush then buff with a lint free cloth after each layer.

Second step (second method): Follow the instructions above but substitute Meltonian cream polish for the AE cream and Saphir Pate de Luxe in neutral for the AE wax.

The thinner the layers the better results you will achieve. Be very conservative. For further info read through parts of the Official Shoe Care Thread and you will get the gist of it. People's techniques don't vary that much. Feel free to post pics at each stage on the shoe care thread if you are wondering about whether or not you should to move to the next stage and/or need critiques or help.

Good luck!

McBindle

Reaction score
And get shoe trees. Put them in whenever you are not wearing the shoes. Keep them in when you are polishing for best results.

NiceGuyTom

Reaction score
For me I tend to save black for evening wear, black tie events, weddings, and funerals... Not to say I never wear black to work I just find it to be a bit less versatile not to mention overused. I'd recommend for a second shoe a medium to dark brown cap to like the park or 5th ave from Allen Edmonds or maybe a burgundy both with matching belt. Both can be dressed up to a suit if needed.

NTisinger

Reaction score
Ok, so I had a chance to do some shopping this past weekend and here is what I ended up with so far:
  • (4) Banana Republic slim fit dress shirts $35-$40 ea
  • (2) Banana Republic tailored fit wool trousers in light grey and charcoal $80 ea
  • (2) Brooks Brothers wool trousers in light khaki and medium grey $80 ea
  • (3) Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts $60 ea
  • (2) Saks Black Label Slim fit shirts $45 ea
  • (2) Saks Black Label wool trousers in navy and camel $65 ea
  • (1) Ballin Rendezvous wool trouser in black $45
  • (1) Michael Kors shirt $40
  • (1) Pair Cole Hahn Air Madison wingtips in Black $145
  • (1) Pair John Varvatos Filmore Black leather Chukkas (for casual Fridays) $150
  • (2) Belts one black and one brown to match the AEs I previously purchased $35 ea

I am still planning on getting one more pair of shoes, most likely some AE Park/Fifth Avenues, or Strands in Bourbon, or something similar (open to suggestions). How'd I do? Any opinions on the above? Anything else I should pick up?

NTisinger

Reaction score
Oh and I previously ordered some large shirt and felted trouser hangers from The Hanger Project, as well as some Woodlore Ultra trees to put in my shoes.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, so I had a chance to do some shopping this past weekend and here is what I ended up with so far:
  • (4)  Banana Republic slim fit dress shirts $35-$40 ea
  • (2) Banana Republic tailored fit wool trousers in light grey and charcoal $80 ea
  • (2) Brooks Brothers wool trousers in light khaki and medium grey $80 ea
  • (3) Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts $60 ea
  • (2) Saks Black Label Slim fit shirts $45 ea
  • (2) Saks Black Label wool trousers in navy and camel $65 ea
  • (1) Ballin Rendezvous wool trouser in black $45
  • (1) Michael Kors shirt $40
  • (1) Pair Cole Hahn Air Madison wingtips in Black $145
  • (1) Pair John Varvatos Filmore Black leather Chukkas (for casual Fridays) $150
  • (2) Belts one black and one brown to match the AEs I previously purchased $35 ea

I am still planning on getting one more pair of shoes, most likely some AE Park/Fifth Avenues, or Strands in Bourbon, or something similar (open to suggestions). How'd I do? Any opinions on the above? Anything else I should pick up?

Sigh. "Should have gone to Maaco" [yours truly], would actually have saved money. 4 BR dress shirts - bad decision, those aren't even true dress shirts. Michael Kors shirt - might be a poor decision. Brooks Brothers shirts are okay, but buying 3 (presumably unfamiliar and maybe identical) at once - bad decision. Cole Hahn Air Madison - bad decision. The other choices aren't bad. All those items were purchased in one weekend? Then it's surprising the outcome wasn't awful.

Last edited:

NTisinger

Reaction score
Outcome awful? In what way? We don't have great shopping in the city I live in but can be in LA within 3 hours, so I had to do much of my purchasing within a limited time frame. I got the BR and Kors shirts for relatively cheap, so if they manage to hold up for 5-6 months that'll be ok. I tried to diversify my purchases so that I could figure out what works, and what doesn't, and use that information for future purchases. This is my first foray into this type/level of clothing, so I'm still learning, and it's what led me here to SF. So what would you recommend to replace those choices that you feel are sub-par? I know the Cole Hahns weren't the greatest, but I am planning on getting another pair of AEs in a darker brown, and will replace the black Hahns with something else a couple months down the road. I appreciate your input!

Nick

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member