1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Business Casual Newbie Needs Help!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NTisinger, Jan 20, 2013.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

"Wasn't awful." Paul Fredrick (online), for example, probably would have been a better choice than Banana Republic. Also, as this is "business casual," where are the patterned shirts? What's the shoe size? No unusual foot shape? That's the easiest way to track down a shoe brand/line worth recommending.

2. NTisinger

NTisinger Member

All 3 of the BB shirts are patterned, as well as two of the BRs, and the Kors. I really wanted to try on all of the shirts I purchased because of the fact that I am 6'4" 260 lbs with a 36" waist and a 48" chest. I am a 12D in shoes.

3. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Jos. A. Bank sells better dress shirts than BR and is nearby, if trying on shirts is a rule. Which seems unwarrated. Most online retailers list measurements, and virtually anything will need at least minor tailoring. Beyind that, if you're like most non-senior members of this site, you probably aren't a great judge of fit. Therefore, post pictures if you want to learn whether shirts and other items fit you well.

For something better than the Cole Haan's at a similar price point...
    http://www.zappos.com/florsheim-chatom-black-calfskin-leather#prdInfo
    The non-shiny finish and blucher styling are good for business casual. The sole is part leather, which is much more appropriate for an officee than typical 100% rubber.

Footwear is very important to try on before buying, if possible. It could be a different, pricier brand purchased in LA or some other city that has better options than seem to be available locally.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  4. lucidream

lucidream Active Member

I rock BR dress shirts, and I don't see what the issue is. I think the difference between a helpful post and a non-helpful post is the whether or not a claim of unfavourability is backed up with reasoning. Poor fabric? Poor cut? What is the concern?

5. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Well-Known Member

poor construction, fabric, and price point retail. Although I have to say that a couple of my old BR (ca. 1996) shirts still in casual rotation are much better x2 made (stitching, buttons, fabric) compared to current offerings.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.